Sarah Lawrence athletics to join NCAA Division III

www.theseniorreports.com/naiadiv3.htm

a new East Coast member...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: radiodavel on March 31, 2011, 07:36:32 PM
Sarah Lawrence athletics to join NCAA Division III

www.theseniorreports.com/naiadiv3.htm

a new East Coast member...
NESCAC/NEWMAC/Liberty League/Landmark reputation... (Am I correct, all you east coast gurus?)

Announcement on the Athletics Home Page

Skyline location...

What wants them?  Who do they want?

CKBeber329

Do you think any of the other schools in their current conference, the Hudson Valley, will make the move or consider making the move with them?

Here are the links for them since the Men and Women have separate conferences:

Men's:
http://www.hvmac.net/

Women's:
http://www.hvwac.net/

Ron Boerger

I take it from the article and the HVM/WAC web site that Sarah Lawrence isn't currently a member of either the NCAA, NAIA, or any other organization sponsoring collegiate athletics?   

They're going to have to add some serious sports to get to the D3 minimum.   They compete in the HVAC in the following:

Basketball (M)
Soccer (M)
Softball (W)
Swimming (W)
Tennis (M/W)
Volleyball (W)

Seven conference sports ... plus these club sports, some of which could be made into intercollegiate teams:

Crew (M/W)
Cross-Country (M/W)
Equestrian (W)
Swimming (M)

So even if they turn XC and men's swimming into competitive teams, they'll need to add two more to get to the minimum 12.    Women's basketball and/or soccer would seem logical choices, but that would leave the school with 5 male and 7 female sports.  Perhaps baseball in place of (or addition to) one of those?

Gray Fox

I'm assuming they are all club sports now.  Is that correct?
Fierce When Roused

Just Bill

Quote from: Gray Fox on April 01, 2011, 11:37:08 AM
I'm assuming they are all club sports now.  Is that correct?

No. The first seven Ron listed are varsity. The next six are club.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Pat Coleman

Sarah Lawrence is three-quarters women, so seven women's and five men's sports would not be out of place.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 01, 2011, 02:21:37 PM
Sarah Lawrence is three-quarters women, so seven women's and five men's sports would not be out of place.

Good point.  Many colleges that add sports are trying to increase their M:F ratio, but perhaps that's not a consideration for what is supposed to be the most expensive college in the country.