National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), Directors Cup

Started by ECSUalum, July 20, 2010, 06:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Looked up 6 NCAA D-III New England Colleges with respect to thier NACDA, ( National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics), Director's Cup rankings.

These rankings are a reflection of the overall success of a College or Universities' athletic programs.

The ranking incluse a wide range of sports, from golf/tennis/water polo/skiing to football/basketball/baseball/hockey.

Obviously if your school plays all these sports and does well, ( as some of the NESCAC schools do), you have an advantage in terms of point totals

Go to nacda.com and click on Director's Cup to look up your school.  Rankings include D-I through D-III, and the for years 95/6 through 2009/10

Here are average ranking for 6 NE schools, ( 95/6 to 2008/9 or 14 years), and their highest and lowest rankings over this time span.  ( I noticed a couple of years they only listed the top 100, but the rest they listed the top 300 or so. If school was not ranked a given year I gave them a 300 ranking for that year in calculating their average rank.

School    Avg ranking    Best Ranking- year                    Worst Ranking                      comments

ECSU           118              63 (02/03)                         not ranked in 04/05              ranked in all other years

Keene St       58               19 (06/07)                                96 (08/09 )                  could not find KSC for
                                                                                                                        95/96,96/97,97/98
Trinity (CT)  113                34 (98/9)                                 206 (95/6)

Williams         1                  1                                               4 (97/8)                  Ranked Number 1 for
                                                                                                                           13 of 14 yrs  8-)
USM            153                62 ( 97/8)                         not ranked  in 00/01

Springfield
College MA   31                 13 (99/00                                77 (06/07)

Williams play a LOT of sports and play them VERY WELL
ECSU strengths in Baseball W BB, M/W Soccer W Softball and M LAX
Keene plays a lot of sports  and is strong in BB, M/W track M LAX and a bunch of others
Springfield is strong in a broad range of sports!!! And is in top 20-30 every year
USM strengths in Baseball, W BB and M/W Track/Field

Ralph Turner

Twenty years from now, when I have retired from active practice, I plan to approach the Directors Cup with some serious revisions that reflect a more accurate point system for the championships.

Williams received 100 points for defeating 40 teams that sponsored Women's Rowing.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/rowing/2010/10_3_rowing.pdf

Illinois Wesleyan WUStL got the same 100 points for defeating 420 teams in Women's basketball.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/basketball/2010/10_3_wbasketball.pdf

That is not fair or equitable to all competitors in D-III.

I propose the Directors' Cup apply a coefficient of participation to each sport.

cp = x/y

x= number of eligible schools that participate in the sport.

y= number of full members in D-III.

The number of schools (full members) that participate in D-III is about 425.

The cp of basketball would be 421/425 = 0.99058.

The cp of rowing would be 41/425 = 0.09647.

My bad.  Thanks for the correction.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 20, 2010, 06:56:36 PM
Twenty years from now, when I have retired from active practice, I plan to approach the Directors Cup with some serious revisions that reflect a more accurate point system for the championships.

Williams received 100 points for defeating 40 teams that sponsored Women's Rowing.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/rowing/2010/10_3_rowing.pdf

Illinois Wesleyan got the same 100 points for defeating 420 teams in Women's basketball.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/basketball/2010/10_3_wbasketball.pdf

That is not fair or equitable to all competitors in D-III.

I propose the Directors' Cup apply a coefficient of participation to each sport.

cp = x/y

x= number of eligible schools that participate in the sport.

y= number of full members in D-III.

The number of schools (full members) that participate in D-III is about 425.

The cp of basketball would be 421/425 = 0.99058.

The cp of rowing would be 41/425 = 0.09647.

I like your idea.  Alas, IWU did not win the title in women's basketball (though they were ranked #1 for several weeks).  We did, however, win in baseball and women's (outdoor) track and field.  I haven't checked for sure, but am quite confident that this year was our highest finish in the Directors Cup.

ECSUalum

Ralph,

Of course what you describe is true, but I just thought it would be fun to do this.  Took about 45 min to go throught the 6 teams.  Guess I originally had mentioned five  :-[

Mr Ypsi,  Did not realize you were a IWU fan.  Congrats on a great baseball season, always love the underdogs ;D

Still pretty amazing the athletic programs at Williams!!!!!  NESCAC schools do well in Directors Cup, as mentioned above, as do MIT, Wheaton Mass, Trinity TX, Emory Ga, Cortland St, JHU, etc, if I remember correctly

Ron Boerger

Trinity (TX) has fallen on 'hard times' - 30th this year, lowest in some time.   They did get as high as 4th a couple of years, not bad given that they don't offer as many sports as do Williams and a lot of the teams that rank up there year in and year out. 

I like Ralph's suggestion a lot.  After years of complaining about the SCAC doing the same thing as the Directors' Cup, they are changing their all-sports championship formula to award the first place school in any sport N*5 points rather than a flat 50 where "N" are the number of schools participating.  No more will the school coming in last in field hockey get as many points as the school finishing 5th in men's or women's basketball.   If the SCAC can do it, so can NACDA. 

ECSUalum

Why do you think the NACDA calculates the rankings without the participation factors in the formula??  Seems weird!!

Are they all NESCAC school grads? ;)