MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on March 09, 2015, 03:43:21 PM
Magicman...thought I could catch you better here.  Saw the surprise? of M. Curle's efforts on the WBB CAC board.  Was going to mention her great performance in her recent games...one against Amherstin particular.  Thought you would be all over it so did not post you.  Surprised the LJs  by her outside shooting.....not seen often in her previous games at Bowdoin...as well as her assertiveness on offense.
In any case....Bowdoin and Amherst are in the same bracket...Monclair State is the site.  Been thinking about making the drive up to see the Amherst game on Friday.  Wife not thrilled with the idea....4 plus hrs and then a return drive.  Bad weather on Sat.  Expect Coach Curle's will make the Trip?
Oh yes...saw the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey brackets are out.   Plattsburg is in the same bracket as Amherst. The Jeffs get a bye and if they win the next game....a matchup with your Cardinals may happen.  Amherst has not done well against teams called Cardinals lately.

amh63,

I was hoping it would be my Cardinals that took out your Lord Jeffs this year as a form of payback for the past 2 years. At least I can take solace in the fact that it was a Cardinal team that did so. Also that a local young man from my hometown (Keegan Ryan) played on the St John Fisher team. And one more Cardinal connection, St John Fisher's Coach Kornaker was a former assistant to Plattsburgh's Coach Curle many years ago.

Marle Curle's big weekend was no surprise to her fans here in the North Country. We're used to seeing her just take over a game. As her coach said in the post game interview "Marle just refused to lose". As the point guard for Bowdoin she does a great job of getting the ball to the right person at the right time and when necessary taking the ball to the hoop or stepping back for those 3 pointers. Against Ithaca she made a number of drives to the basket because she could get by her defender. When, near the end of the game, her defender was giving her too much room, she just took the open looks from behind the arc. Here's a link to the highlights and post game interviews of the Ithaca game. The video shows the highlights, the Ithaca interview and then the Bowdoin interview.

http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/wbkb/2014-15/releases/201503078xylmi

I knew that the Sectional was going to be at Montclair State as they were the highest ranked team and it is centrally located among the 4 teams. Both of the NESCAC teams have their work cut out for them. Bowdoin, especially, since they have to play the host team on Friday. Hoping for an all NESCAC Saturday game. And yes Coach Curle and his wife will make the trip to Montclair New Jersey for the game.

Regarding the NCAA Hockey Tournament....Plattsburgh and Amherst may end up facing one another again but if they do it will be for the National Championship. Not sure where you were looking but they are not in the same bracket as Amherst. Both Plattsburgh and Amherst will have to win 2 games each to get to the Final. Would love to see that happen since the Cardinals can make up for that tie game back on January 3rd, that ended with the LJ's winning a shootout. ;D

Plattsburgh Women's Hockey team also in the NCAA's looking to defend their National Championship. No Amherst in that one but the CAC still has 2 teams in it with Middlebury (in our bracket) and Trinity (in the other bracket).

Both Cardinal Hockey teams get to host a game. The Plattsburgh Women (23-2-2) and winners of the ECAC West are probably the #1 seed in the tournament will host St. Thomas on Saturday, March 14th.

The Plattsburgh Men (20-5-2) and SUNYAC champions will host the winner of the game between Trinity and Nichols. That game will be on Saturday, March 21st.

Your Amherst team will play the winner of the Norwich/Plymouth State game also on the 21st. I'm guessing that will be Norwich. Good luck to your LJ's at least through the first 2 games. ;D             

magicman

D3hoops has released their All Region Teams. Here's the one from the East Region. No surprises here. Too many good players and never enough awards to go around. I could easily come up with 15 more players that deserve to be mentioned for their achievements both on and off the court. Congratulations to all the players on this list, plus all the players and coaches who didn't make this list, for giving me so many hours of enjoyment through this long cold winter here in the North Country. Next season's first practice is only 213 days away. ;) 

March 16, 2015
D3hoops.com 2015 men's All-East Region team

Players were nominated for these awards by the Sports Information Directors at the various schools.

Player of the Year: Gordon Lyons, Geneseo State
Coach of the Year: Rob Kornaker, St. John Fisher
Rookie of the Year: Ian Helps, F, Fredonia State

First team     
Pos.   Player          School       Yr. Hometown
G Aldin Medunjanin Skidmore Jr. New York, N.Y.
G John Coleman Clarkson Sr. Potsdam, N.Y.
F Keegan Ryan St. John Fisher So. Plattsburgh, N.Y.
F Gordon Lyons Geneseo State Sr. Amherst, N.Y.
F Evan Kupferberg NYU Jr. Boca Raton, Fla.

Second team     
Pos.   Player       School       Yr.    Hometown
G Brian Sortino Oswego State So. Fairport, N.Y.
G Zach Mager Oneonta State Sr. New City, N.Y.
F CJ Dunston Lancaster Bible Jr. Elkton, Md.
F Mitch Ford Nazareth Jr. Victor, N.Y.
F Reggie Williams Plattsburgh State Sr. Yonkers, N.Y.

Third team     
Pos.    Player         School        Yr.     Hometown
G Chris Cartwright Buffalo State Sr. Binghamton, N.Y.
G Trey Gordon Gallaudet Jr. Talladega, Ala.
G Connor Rehbaum Hobart Sr. Cheektowaga, N.Y.
G Chaz Lott St. John Fisher Jr. Wynanskill, N.Y.
F Maurice Mills Nazareth Jr. Utica, N.Y.

Here's a link to the complete list of All Region Teams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2014-15/index

magicman

Congratulations to the following players from the East Region who, today, were chosen as All Americans by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Gordon Lyons senior forward from Geneseo State who was selected as an NABC 1st Team All American

John Coleman senior forward from Clarkson College who was selected as an NABC 2nd Team All American

Keegan Ryan sophomore forward from St. John Fisher College who was selected as an NABC 3rd Team All American

Here' a link to the complete list of All Americans:

http://static.psbin.com/1/5/jqtd9kjc8xjjmf/NABC_Announces_2015_Coaches-_Division_III_All-America_Teams.pdf

magicman

The D3hoops All American Teams were released today, just prior to the National Championship game. The East Region had 2 players receive honors.

Gordon Lyons from Geneseo State was named to the D3hoops All American 2nd Team.

Keegan Ryan from St. John Fisher was named as a  D3hoops Honorable Mention All American

Nice to see these guys make it as one of the top 25 players in the country. Congratulations.

Here is a link to the complete list of All Americans:

http://d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/2015   

magicman

Sixty Three more days until the 1st day of basketball practice. All ten of the SUNYAC schools have released their 2015-16 basketball schedule. Once again it looks like Plattsburgh State has scheduled the strongest non-conference schedule of any team in the YAC.

The Cardinals open their season at home against Clarkson on November 17th, as the Golden Knights, with a new head coach last year, have decided to renew the rivalry that the previous coach abruptly canceled after the 2010-11 season. Clarkson came in 3rd place in the Liberty League last season and made it to the championship game of the conference tournament losing to Skidmore by a 68-64 score. The last time the  Cardinals lost to a team from the Liberty League was 7 years ago and have since went 9-0 against the conference. That record will be tested this year.

Plattsburgh will then travel to face that Skidmore team in Saratoga on November 23rd. The Throughbreds captured both the regular season and tournament titles in the Liberty League last year and won a first round game in the NCAA tournament. They lost at Johns Hopkins by a 61-58 margin in their attempt to make the Sweet 16. Skidmore will be looking to avenge an overtime loss to the Cardinals in Skidmore last year. Hopefully after playing the Thoroughbreds on their home court for 2 years in a row they will favor us with a visit to Plattsburgh next season.

The Cardinals will complete the Liberty League portion of their non-conference schedule as they host St. Lawrence in their annual North Country battle on December 1st. The Saints finished just out of the playoffs last year in the midst of a rebuilding campaign and will be a tougher team to deal with this coming season.

Plattsburgh travels to NESCAC foe Middlebury on December 12th to take on the Panthers, in a game that is always a tough contest. Middlebury did not have the success they were used to last year but they are once again expected to be near the top of their conference. They beat the Cardinals in Plattsburgh last year and will be even tougher to deal with on their home court.

The Cardinals travel to Florida over the Christmas break and will play two teams in Miami on December 19th and 20th. We will face Stevenson College from the Midddle Atlantic Conferences-Commonwealth, in one game, and tackle UMass-Dartmouth from the Little East Conference in the other game. Stevenson came in 2nd place in the Commonwealth Division of the Middle Atlantic Conferences last year and lost to Alvernia in the tournament championship. Stevenson then played in the ECAC-South tournament and won 3 straight games to win the championship and end the season with a 21-9 record.  UMass-Dartmouth finished in 3rd place in the always tough LEC conference and lost in the semifinals of the conference tournament to Rhode Island College. The Corsairs return 6 of their top 10 players including their leading scorer with 23.2 ppg and leading rebounder with 9.0 rpg. They will be another tough opponent. 

Plattsburgh will wind up the non-conference portion of their schedule on January 4th as they host the Trinity Bantams who were the winners of the NESCAC conference's regular season. Trinity lost to Wesleyan in the conference tournament semifinals but recieved an at large bid to the NCAA tournament. The Bantams won 3 straight games and advanced to the Elite Eight, before falling to Babson 76-69 in their bid to make the Final Four. With their 3 best scorers back and 6 of their top 8 point producers, it would appear that the Bantams will once again be a force to be reckoned with in the 'CAC.

The Cardinals will have their work cut out for them this year. They face 4 teams that won at least 20 games last year and all 7 teams had a winning record. Two teams went to the NCAA's and two others just missed. The overall record for the 7 teams was 128-63. I'll be happy if we can go 4-3 in those 7 games and anything better than that would be a bonus.

Oneonta with games against Hartwick, Williams, and St John Fisher also appears to have a decent out of conference schedule. In addition to those games they will play Manhattanville in a tournament at Franklin & Marshall but not sure if they will play F&M the next day. Nobody beats Franklin & Marshall on their home court. Oneonta also plays 2 games in Puerto Rico over the Christmas break but those teams have not been announced. Still I think the Red Dragons may have the 2nd best non-conference schedule.

New Paltz has also scheduled some pretty competitive teams. The Hawks will play Williams, Middlebury, Springfield College and Kean. They also have games against Vassar, Mount Saint Mary and Mount Saint Vincent. Hawks love their Mounts. :D Their schedule may end up being a bit tougher than Oneonta's depending on who the Red Dragons play in that other game at F&M and who they take on in Puerto Rico.           

gordonmann

magicman

Bengalsrule

Ahhhh   The sound of basketballs hitting the hardwood.....  There is no better sound within the confines of the Buffalo State campus (for yours truly). Here's to hoping that the SUNYAC gets no less than 3 bids to the dance. In fact...I'm predicting it! (There I said it)!

GO   BENGALS!!!!!!

magicman

D3hoops released its Top 25 preseason poll on Thursday morning and St. John Fisher, an NCAA Sweet 16 team last year, is the only East Region team ranked as they open the year in the #22 spot with 132 points. Pat Coleman has released for the first time ever, the place by place voting totals for each team. This allows us to see that Fisher's highest ranking was from 2 voters who thought they were good enough to be #11 in the country, 2 other voters had them in the 12th spot. The Cardinals got votes from 15 of the 25 voters that make up the poll. With 3 starters returning including E-8 Player of the Year, junior Keegan Ryan, St. John Fisher will be looking to repeat the success they had on the hardwood last year.   

NYU just missed the Top 25 as they checked in the Others Receiving Votes category with 84 points which was good enough for 27th place. The Violets return 4 starters from last year's team that failed to make the NCAA's and finished 19-9. They were ranked briefly last year at #23 when they jumped from no votes in the previous poll to 69 points in week #8 after a short winning streak that gave them a 12-4 record on January 25th. They got some help right after Christmas when former Division I player Hakeem Harris joined the team. Harris scored 26 pts, 24 pts, and 24 pts in that 3 game winning streak that boosted them into the Top 25. He went on to lead the team in scoring with over 18 ppg. The team however quickly dropped out of the Top 25 and went 7-5 the rest of the year, They were runners up in the ECAC Metro Tournament losing to Staten Island in the Championship game by an 84-80 final score. Harris was listed as a junior last year but is the 1 starter that isn't returning for this season for reasons unknown to me. The Sporting News picked them to finish 10th in the country but most of us know that any polls on D3 basketball other than the D3hoops poll is usually worthless to consider. The University Athletic Association conference that NYU is in, lost a ton of talent last year, and the only team from the UAA that is ranked in the D3 hoops Top 25 is the University of Chicago at #17. So this could be the year that NYU may actually do some damage in the conference and return to the NCAA tournament, but it sure would have been easier if Harris had returned for his senior year.   

Oswego State was the only other team from the East Region that garnered any voter support in the poll as the Lakers were also listed in the Others Receiving Votes category after receiving 54 points. That puts Oswego State in 35th place to open the year. The Lakers are coming off a SUNYAC Championship and an appearance in the NCAA tournament where they lost a 1st round game to Calvin by a 78-69 score. They return just about their entire team with the loss of only 1 starter from last year's roster. They have their top 3 scorers back led by All Conference guard Brian Sortino who averaged 16.5 ppg last year and Walter Sampson who tossed in  10.3 ppg. The Lakers return 9 players that averaged double digit minutes last season so they will have a strong bench as well.

PS to Mr. Coleman: It was nice to see the breakdown of the voters placements. I hope you consider giving some thought to doing that every week as I'm sure most of us on these boards would greatly appreciate it (I know just what you need, more work to do to put out that poll). It is informative and since I've been a voter on the Posters' Poll for the past 6 or 7 years, we've released all the placements by our voters. It has always been interesting to see what others think about the various teams that make up our poll. Of course we have a much smaller number of voters than the 25 that you have to deal with but if you can't find the time to do it I understand. Just give it to Dave McHugh, he releases his vote for public perusal, he'd probably enjoy doing 24 more?  I'm sure he's got all kinds of free time on his hands.  ;D (I'm joking Dave, I'm Joking. I know how many things you have on your plate)         

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ha... free time on my hands... what does that look like?! LOL

Per Harris - he has chosen to graduate this semester from what I was told. At some point in Division III, academics and an athlete's future takes priority... so I applaud Harris to make what was probably a very difficult decision.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Thanks for the follow up info on Hakeem Harris and who can blame him for getting his degree a little quicker for all the right reasons.

And I'm amazed that you even find time to do all that you do. Plus K

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well considering how much time he has spent in college in general... I can understand he feels his time is finished. NYU would have been a fascinating team to watch had he returned for a full season. I think they will still be fun to watch, but they have never been able to put together 25-games no matter what their talent level. They are always a wait and see... and then wait again team.

And thanks... I actually wish I had more time to do all the things I want to do... though some health related things derailed some of my summer plans with this year in mind... so I am still playing catch up.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

In order to reply to this post I copied it and dragged it over here from the Empire 8 Football Board.

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 01, 2015, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: AUPepBand on November 01, 2015, 01:45:00 AM
Quote from: pg04 on November 01, 2015, 12:40:56 AM
Oh yes, Pep. I meant to congratulate you and your Saxons on the dominating win. After scoring 28 points in the 2nd quarter to make the score 35-13 at the half, they were able to stifle Brockport in the 2nd half by Forcing turnovers and going on long drives. AU held the ball for an amazing 23:32 in the second half, with drives of 6:45 and 7:07 included. I watched most of the game and Alfred really impressed me with how they were able to control the game to put it away.

Good luck to AU in the upcoming lottery that is the E8 championship.
And Magicman: What are you doing over here on the football boards? Haha! Hoping the Saxons can equal last year's fun ride into the E8 Tourney...won't be long now before it all gets started. Pep recalls the Plattsburgh State football Cardinals as they played Alfred when Sam Sanders was head coach after Yunie retired.

The Magic 1 is sort of lost until November 14th when SUNYAC hoops begin. If lucky you may hear from him again until the 17th when his Cards travel to Clarkson (and I have not doubt that he will make that westward trip).  Fear not Pep. In a couple of weeks you will have to come to the basketball boards to find him! ;)

The magicman is never lost, as he knows his way around these boards quite well. He also knows his way around New York State and particularly the North Country. So as much as I would love to travel over to Potsdam, the home of my alma mater, Potsdam State, and see old friends... I won't be going over there to watch the Cardinals take on Clarkson, which is also in Potsdam. If I did do what my friend from the Queen City is suggesting I would discover (to paraphrase a certain playwright) an empty gym lacking sound and fury and signifying nothing. You see, Clarkson will be coming to Plattsburgh to take on my Cardinals right here in the friendly confines of Memorial Hall on Nov. 17th to open the season. ;D

The other notable point I wish to make is that the SUNYAC does not begin on November 14th as stated in Mr BR's post. It begins on November 13th when New Paltz State hosts Vassar College at 7 PM. I will be couchside watching that game on my new computer to big screen TV hookup in my living room, now that high speed internet service has finally...finally, I say finally, after 30 years of waiting for it, arrived at the home of the magicman.  8-)

Now if only the rosters of the YAC teams would get posted so I can see who has what, so I can make some educated guesses as to the outcome of the league. This is what I see for now.

Oswego will come in first place, and Brockport will certainly push the Lakers for top honors. Plattsburgh, Cortland and Buff State will round out the top 5, not necessarily in that order. That's as far as I can see in my crystal ball as it is still a little cloudy. Once I can see some rosters and what the recruits look like (on paper at least) and who imported some transfers (I see the Bengals have at least 2 incoming transfers) I'll be able to make a better 1 through 10 forecast.       

Bengalsrule

Interesting that you have Oswego and Brockport 1-2 without seeing their 2015-16 roster. Maybe you know something that I don't know!!

P.s Your women's soccer team is heading to Buff State for the semi finals this Weds. Something tells me that you will be watching the game via your LARGE SCREEN T.V.! (no more watching at the "Music Shop"?). I cant believe that Time Warner plowed a 12 mile passage to your property  ::) ::)? I'll be sure to wave (or find your Plattsburgh State commentators, if they make the trip)

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 02, 2015, 04:00:48 PM
Interesting that you have Oswego and Brockport 1-2 without seeing their 2015-16 roster. Maybe you know something that I don't know!!

I know that Oswego returns everybody off last year's SUNYAC Champs except Rashawn Powell. I think they will be better than they were last year. Coach Leone won with former Coach, Adam Stockwell's players. Now he's won with his own recruits. 

Brockport also returns a ton of talent, including their entire starting 5, their top 8 players and 10 of 11 guys that averaged double digit minutes last year. Most importantly they have Coach Dunne back and he'll be out to prove that his Coach of the Year award, 2 years ago, was no fluke. 

And I'd be surprised if you didn't know that. But if you didn't...now you do. ;D

P.s Your women's soccer team is heading to Buff State for the semi finals this Weds. Something tells me that you will be watching the game via your LARGE SCREEN T.V.! I'll be sure to wave (or find your Plattsburgh State commentators, if they make the trip)

I may be home watching that game and the Men's soccer game at Oneonta at the same time. But I may be on the golf course playing a round of golf with Coach Curle since Indian Summer has decided to visit the North Country this week. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all expected to be in the high 60's and low 70's. Need to golf when you can, these late fall days. :)

P.s. no more watching at the "Music Shop"? I cant believe that Time Warner plowed a 12 mile passage to your property  ::) ::)?

You are right Time Warner didn't plow a 12 mile passage to me, however Charter Communications bundled my phone, cable and high speed internet service and ran a line about a 1000 feet long from the road I live on to my house which is set back from that road quite a ways. I've been waiting since 1984 for someone to do that. They finally stepped up to the plate in July of 2014 and told me I'd have cable and internet service by November 2014. Complications turned up and it was March of this year before it actually happened. Now I can sit at home in my recliner and bring up 5 windows (or more if needed) on my computer, on game nights, when the Cardinals are on the road and watch the entire SUNYAC conference on my big screen TV. No more late nights for me in the office of The Music Shop, on the computer there, because that's the only place I could get high speed internet. Technology has finally arrived at the home of the magicman. :o