NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All NESCAC

Quote from: LaPaz on September 22, 2014, 10:33:37 AM
If Wesleyan's style is fun to watch, your entertainment value is pretty weak. Wesleyan doesn't whack the ball but they are very defensive and sit 4 to 5 deep in the back. They can put you to sleep on a good day. I am not arguing the results they have had but cmon

LaPaz since my NESCAC history only goes back six years I cannot comment on the Williams teams from 20+ years ago, and bowing to your experience/seniority I'm sure you are correct in your comparison.  That said, over the last 4 or 5 years IMHO Wesleyan plays the most possession oriented on the ground game in the NESCAC.  Is it defensive and counter attacking...sure....can it put you to sleep...perhaps, but that's what a possession style will sometimes do (unless your Barcelona) to both the fan, but also the opponent (leading to those counter attack Wesleyan goals).   Never said they were the best team or the most entertaining/explosive offensively, but Wesleyan plays soccer on the ground and from this fans perspective I'd rather watch that than "bombs away" direct to the forwards and giving away possession.  Wesleyan also allows it's opponent to play the ball on the ground and speaking from the opponent players view point they would rather do that then the direct over the top typical NESCAC offensive style were every ball/long pass is a 50/50 ball.  I wish more teams in the NESCAC would play a more possession oriented skillful (of the mind) on the ground game then the "track meet run you over long ball" which typically goes on each week in the NESCAC.  Not arguing this style gets results, but not my preferred cup of tea.

LaPaz

Wesleyan has skilled players in the midfield...Issiroff, Souza, Bravo, etc but heir backs and especially their wing backs are not possessing the ball. They will whack the ball, not as much as the worst culprits(Midd, Amherst, Bowdoin) but under pressure their wingbacks(Toulette, Rubenstein are their weakest link) will whack it. Why else would Wheeler be starting a frosh Chin at wingback..his natural position is striker.

All NESCAC

Quote from: LaPaz on September 22, 2014, 02:18:46 PM
Wesleyan has skilled players in the midfield...Issiroff, Souza, Bravo, etc but heir backs and especially their wing backs are not possessing the ball. They will whack the ball, not as much as the worst culprits(Midd, Amherst, Bowdoin) but under pressure their wingbacks(Toulette, Rubenstein are their weakest link) will whack it. Why else would Wheeler be starting a frosh Chin at wingback..his natural position is striker.

Don't disagree.  Perhaps this years Wesleyan addition isn't as skillful on the outside backs as some of their prior teams.  Chin at wingback is getting your better players on the field, and as you know well many high school/club/DAP forwards and attacking mids are slotted to outside back in college for just such reason as they are good on the ball and calm under pressure and able to build some offense out of the back.  Wesleyan is losing some of their back line to graduation next year so they have to start preparing someone back there.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: All NESCAC on September 22, 2014, 03:35:56 PM
Quote from: LaPaz on September 22, 2014, 02:18:46 PM

Don't disagree.  Perhaps this years Wesleyan addition isn't as skillful on the outside backs as some of their prior teams.  Chin at wingback is getting your better players on the field, and as you know well many high school/club/DAP forwards and attacking mids are slotted to outside back in college for just such reason as they are good on the ball and calm under pressure and able to build some offense out of the back.  Wesleyan is losing some of their back line to graduation next year so they have to start preparing someone back there.

I would have to say that Tufts or Williams play more possession style, however, Amherst seems to have lately played more possession that usual.  Of course, a lot of that depends on your midfielders and their talents and vision.....

PaulNewman

Bates down 2-0 at half vs Maine Maritime.

LaPaz

They are an absolute embarrassment for Nescac. If they go 0-10 in Nescac it might be enough to send Stewart Flaherty packing

All NESCAC

Quote from: NCAC New England on September 23, 2014, 08:02:12 PM
Bates down 2-0 at half vs Maine Maritime.
Report on Conn 0 Coast Guard 1.  Same as Middlebry game with the same result.  Conn dominated game and possession yet couldnt score again.  Coast Guard scored on a quick counter attack off a Conn corner as Conn had everyone in the box and service was cleared quickly and long to CG forward who was all by himself and he struck a great shot from 30 yards out and beat the keeper who was caught off his line. This was CGs only scoring opportunity and threat and they scored.  Conn was missing forwards Mutala O'brien and still no Hermoniz yet.  All out for yesterdays game.  Conn is having problems in the final third and somehow has to find a way to score if it somehow wants to get a result vs Williams on Saturday.

MENESCACFAN

MIDWEEK REVIEW

UNE 0 Bowdoin 2

Bowdoin seem to lack some of the toughness seen on previous years, but the winger Jones is a tremendous player.  Pretty standard win that was expected, with lively freshman Di Stefano netting.  I think Di Stefano has a bright future in the conference.

Coast Guard 1 Conn College 0

Very surprising result.  Ken Murphy is a tremendous recruiter and motivator, and I believe every year will see Conn make the break up the league.  Must be disheartening, but expect the Camels to bounce back.   Hilmonaz injured but looked a blaze of energy in the early fall last season.

Colby 2 USM 0

Colby continue the trend of winning out of conference and losing in conference that goes back over 2 years.  From my knowledge, USM is among weaker out of conference foes NESCAC teams face.  Not many players on Colby grab the eye outside of defender Stanton.

Middlebury 3 Colby-Sawyer 0

Watched second half of this game.  Fully believe sophomore forward Glaser is the conference's best player.  Dominant win for a resurgent squad (remember when Saward was finished in some eyes).

RPI 1 Williams 1

Can only imagine this is a good result for RPI, as Williams a good squad despite the surprising Amherst beating.  Freshman forward Sisco-Tolomeo one to keep an eye on. Shows Russo will not go the Sir Alex Ferguson route of leaving cupboard bare for successor.

Bates 0 MMA 2

Tough times for the Bobcats despite a 30-6 advantage in shots, surprising given some of the talent on the roster.  Sophomore Knot has 8 career goals and midfielder Moyo was a scholarship player at Creighton.  Flaherty coaching for his future.

Hamilton 2 Utica 1

Late winner lifts Continentals to a win.  Seen this squad twice, and Nizzi infuses a wonderful energy into the group.  2 goal scorer and all-NESCAC striker Kraynak started his Hamilton career as a defender.

Corazon

Nice summary, MENESCACFAN. Hope to see more posts from you.

LaPaz

How can the conferences best player have no left foot. Lets see what Midd does the rest of the way. They are better than last year because of GK. Still have to go to Trinty, Williams and Hamilton. Tufts and Wes at home.

MENESCACFAN

Quote from: LaPaz on September 24, 2014, 04:50:11 PM
How can the conferences best player have no left foot.

Many said David Beckham had no left foot, and Maradona no right, they played much bette revel than NESCAC so maybe it could be the case?  I am going on game impact I have seen admitting I don't see very game, we can all pick flaws in very player in the conference.  Surely better debate to say who you think is best, rather than shoot down another?

LaPaz

ok...glasor is good but not the best..also you are comparing Glasor to everyone else and doing so while watching Colby Sawyer(one of the worst teams in new england).  Midd's out of conference schedule should be held against them. It is beyond WEAK. Santos, Rashid and Bull have the most impact. Conrad might be better than Glasor,

MENESCACFAN

No I am not, I have watched Glaser 5 times now, I am aware there are better teams than Colby-Sawyer.  Rashid is a fantastic player but deadly we won't see him this fall, and he missed a portion of last fall.  He is certainly worth debate though.  Santos was the best freshman I have seen but is defensively lazy, drifts out of tough games and has regressed every year.

Top 5 in order for me.

1 - Glaser (Midd)
2 - Rashid (Williams)
3 - Muralles (Williams)
4 - Jones (Bowdoin)
5 - Santos (Tufts)

You?

Interesting note, I believe Amherst the best team despite not having any of the top five players.  Serpone does a wonderful job, regardless on thoughts of how he goes about it.

LaPaz

Serpone is a godsend to man as we know it.

MENESCACFAN

Haha, not sure about that.  Good soccer coach though.