Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_wesleyfan

Considering the longest TD drive  for Hobart was 17 yrds!!! Wesley's D did very well for itself
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Upstate

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 19, 2011, 09:34:20 PM
Considering the longest TD drive  for Hobart was 17 yrds!!! Wesley's D did very well for itself

Might want to check the box score regarding that TD stat...

Also, those 3 60+ yard drives that stalled at Wesley's 7, 5 & 5 yard lines were inconsequential...
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

PA_wesleyfan

4 plays 12 yrds
2 plays 16 yrds
blocked punt for a td
8 plays 32 yrds

Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

wesleydad

upstate, inconsequential in that they did not score.  pa was not exactly correct in the numbers but the point was that hobart did not go far when they scored.  60 yards of total offense for scoring drives is a fact.  nice drives that result in no points are just like turnovers, dont help you win games.

smedindy

Actually, they can help in playing a ball-control, field-position game.

Upstate

Quote from: wesleydad on November 20, 2011, 08:37:04 AM
upstate, inconsequential in that they did not score.  pa was not exactly correct in the numbers but the point was that hobart did not go far when they scored.  60 yards of total offense for scoring drives is a fact.  nice drives that result in no points are just like turnovers, dont help you win games.

You were acting like Hobart couldn't move the ball at all...

The fact they constantly had short fields doesn't do well to reflect their total yardage but those 3 long drives that didn't end in points prove they could move the ball...
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

PA_wesleyfan

Upstate

I think Hobart showed very well for themselves.  The game flow was so messed up by the officials that its seemed liked Wesleys D was on the field all day. I was surprised in the time advantage  to Wesley. Hobarts game plan was well thought out and playing 6 and 7 O linemen to slow Wesleys D seemd to work as Olney had time to get some open receivers.

I am still a bit puzzled as to why they would try a fake punt so deep  so early in the game! As it turned out it didn't kill them BUT !!! ;D

wesleydad

pa, i dont think it was a fake punt, it would likely have been blocked had he tried to kick it, it was right in front of me and he pulled it down as 2 wesley players were flying at him.

upstate, not sure who implied that they could not move the ball.  i only read it as the scoring drives were short fields.

PA_wesleyfan

wesleydad
He pulled the ball in right away, I think hw was waiting for one of his 4 wideouts and the rush got there before he had a chance to throw it. Would like to see the film and see what the outside guys were doing

wesleydad

pa, looked to me like he just panicked.  if it was a planned fake than it was a real bad call and they got lucky that wesley fumbled on the next play.

pumkinattack

It wasn't a planned fake punt, I can confirm.  He's a FR WR (Elvin Souffrant - caught a couple of passes and looks like a keeper for the next three years) who only punted 2-3x all year and our #1 punter (who was our #3 WR) was out of the game with a bum ankle.

We were really banged up on O, but the real story of the game, IMO from Bart's perspective, is that as well as Cragg & Co prepared them for the game being shorthanded, didn't put our one excellent DB, Drake Woodard (#1 for those at the game & 4yr starter, very decorated for all 4 years) on to Wesley's stud WR (Steve something) until the 2nd half.  The three biggest outputs against our D all year (Union, RPI & Wesley) we're a result of the non-Woodard secondary getting beat on big plays.  They've generally played all year and had some good games (Hearon, for example, had 2 ints - one a TAINT) against UofR, but they're all FR or SO and had been somewhat inconsistent throughout the year (RPI's QB scrambled enough that their guys would get open for big plays in that loss).  Beyond all the other things that have been put out there, I thought it was telling that the big plays stopped for the most part when #1 got put on that WR from Wesley in the second half.  He was good enough (talent as it's been put by one or two of the Wesley guys) to stand toe to toe with the Wesley WR's, but I'm not sure if the rest of the secondary was ready for that. 

K-Mack

For whatever it's worth, the Wesley coaching staff seemed very impressed with Hobart and disgusted with its own play. Not sure of how much of what was said to me was for attribution, but I'm inclined to believe the final score was not a fluke, and my final top 25 ballot (especially given that a team Hobart smushed also won) will probably reflect as much.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

pumkinattack

KMack with the love.  I'd love to see Bart back in the top 25 at season end, though I don't expect it.  Doesn't matter, everyone I know who follows the program is extremely psyched with the fight they showed and how they left it all out on the field.  While I'd love to make a trip to Salem to see my boys play, all I can ask for is that they go balls to the wall and leave nothing in the tank. 

wesleydad

maybe hobart would like to add another game.  i am sure wesley could find an open date. :D  always glad to add another good game to the schedule.

pumkinattack

I've never been opposed assuming the economics made sense for the institution (which information I didn't have and objected to character attacks from some based on incomplete information).  That being said, we're back to a 10 game slate next year (Springfield jumps from the E8 to LL, OOC is Dickinson, Utica & Geneva College).  I'd like to see some different matchups, other than Dickinson in OOC, but it appears there's a real effort to be in Pittsburg and upstate NY for two of the games given the last 6-10 years (CMU, Fisher, Alfred, etc.).  Not sure why they don't head towards the Philly area, but they hit that area pretty well for lacrosse, so perhaps they figure they've got the east coast covered from that sport.