MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

bgbully, I think someone played a bad joke on you.  I mean, people aren't sure if the Illini's Roger Powell can play at the next level...and Larry Welton isn't Roger Powell.

Welton is a great Division III player - emphasis on Division III.

pannounce

Hey Brizo, heard you were the guy that sang the national anthem, is this true?  God I hope not cause that guy sounded like he had a pile of crap in his mouth.  If I were him, I wouldn't quit my day job of picking corn and watching my girlfriend get fatter and fatter eating all of it.  

Anyways, to the game...I didn't get a chance to see the entire game on webcast (Which by the way wasn't all that great, (give technology another year, and it will be like watching it on cable)But I bet you guys were pooping bricks at halftime when Edgewood was still in the game.  The story of the second half was the dismal shooting.  (29% from the floor in the second half)  May have attributed to your defense, may have just been our shooters went cold...in any case Dick Bruiseface Blaska went out in grand style having one of his best games of his career. In any case, Congrads seniors on great careers, it was fun watching you guys over the last four years as I retire from the scorers table.

PA signing off

N

Was a good game until the second half (when the lead for BV got bigger, etc.)....Blaska/Mickel/Donner good run...time to come join the ranks as alum now...

Give it another year or two and I say the LMC will get it's first NCAA win....teams are beginning to get more talent and confidence, also the teams composure in hostile atmospheres is improving....

The Show

Props to the Edgewood guards for keeping them in the game early with unreal shooting. I was a lot more impressed with the guards than I thought I would be. After the half though, our little friend called 'fatigue' seemed to set in and the lack of depth and size did Edgewood in.

I was disappointed with Cooper. Thought he would be more of a difference maker, but wasn't even able to post up BV's guards successfully. Also, a two-handed chest pass or bounce pass usually work better then around-the-back and out of bounds passes.

Blaska was able to finally get to the line in the second half and doesn't miss very many FT's, but otherwise there was virtually no post presence for Edgewood. Maybe Averkamp as he matures, but he nearly shot them out of the game last night.

Oh, and I thought the national anthem was pretty good too.

lee johnson

Mr. Ypsi

WARNING: there is a logician in the house!  5 stars, Lee!

There is only ONE d3 player seeing regular minutes in the NBA, and I'm not certain that even DeVean(?) George was drafted.  In my view, Horace Jenkins was probably the best d3 player of the last few years, and he wasn't drafted (he's on the Pistons roster, but gets almost no minutes).

Since Pat Coleman insists on being technically correct that Jack Sikma was NOT a d3 player, I'm not certain that ANY d3 player has ever been drafted - unless Larry Welton is actually LeBron James in disguise, and went to a d3 school due to a clerical error, I'd say you've been hoodwinked!

Pat Coleman

Derrick Rowland, Potsdam State, was drafted in the 10th round by Denver in 1981.
Greg Grant, Trenton State (now College of New Jersey), was a second-round draft pick of the Phoenix Suns in 1989.
Lamont Strothers, Christopher Newport, was a second-round draft pick of the Trail Blazers in 1991.
Devean George, Augsburg, was a first-round draft pick of the Lakers (23rd overall) in 1999.

I am sure there are others. Terry Porter of UW-Stevens Point was a first-round pick, but UWSP was in the NAIA at the time.

I insist simply on being correct, not technically correct.

Mr. Ypsi

Pat, I promise not to belabor it, but I still contend that in terms of d3 PHILOSOPHY, Jack was d3 - his school just hadn't switched yet due to respect for Jack Horenberger!   Whether or not the same 'technicality' is true for Terry Porter I don't know - if he had a scholarship, he's NOT to be included as 'sorta' d3!

As a fairly recent convert to d3 hoops, I confess I've never heard of Greg Grant or Lamont Strothers - did either have any significant NBA career?

I DO now vaguely recall that George was a first round pick - I could'a sworn he was a 'walk-on' to the Lakers camp who happened to stick, but I stand corrected.

Were none of the NPU greats drafted?

Since the NBA draft now goes only 2 rounds, I didn't bother responding to the 10th round guy - but that does kind of prove my point if he was the only late round name you could produce - d3 guys (with RARE exceptions) do NOT get drafted!

(Message edited by cabonney on March 4, 2005)

Pat Coleman

PHILOSOPHY SHMILOSOPHY. Include all the Ivy League guys too if you want to go that direction. Include everyone from the armed forces academies. There's a reason we draw a line at actual Division III members.

You belabored the point at 7:38 when you invoked it originally.

Mike Harper was drafted, yes. Like I said, there are others.

Greg Grant played six seasons in the NBA, including appearing in 10 playoff games.

IWU Titan Fan

Pat Coleman

I only included the Potsdam guy to fend off the eventual Potsdam State boosters who post all over the place about Potsdam superiority.

At least they know their facts, however.

Ancient Titan

Blaise Bugajski was drafted in 1984 after IWU had gone NCAA III.   He played on IWU's first team to play in the tourney.  IWU lost to eventual national champion Wis.-Whitewater in the first round. I believe he was taken in the sixth round by Baltimore.

Gregory Sager

Four players from the North Park threepeat team of 1978-80 were drafted: Michael Harper (Portland Trailblazers), Modzel Greer (Chicago Bulls), and Keith French (Phoenix Suns) in 1980, and Michael Thomas (Philadelphia 76ers) the following season.

I'm pretty sure that French was the only D3 non-starter ever to be drafted by the NBA. He was the sixth man on the second and third national title teams, playing the role of the third big man behind Harper and Jim Clausen.

Harper played two years with the Blazers, and then had an extensive career in France and Spain. Greer played for two decades with Ajax Amsterdam (the Boston Celtics of the Dutch Premier League), and he's now their head coach. Thomas was the last person cut from the '81-'82 Sixers (tough to land a roster spot when you're trying out as a guard on a team that already has Andrew Toney, World B. Free, and Maurice Cheeks). He spent fifteen years as a member of the U.S. Army's touring team.

The draft was six rounds back then.

Apart from the national championship threepeat itself, I can't think of a more impressive achievement than the fact that the Vikings of that era had four players drafted by the NBA, one of whom actually spent a couple years in the Show.

I think that there was at least one NJCU player who was drafted as well.

Chuck, Illinois Wesleyan didn't remain NAIA until 1982 "due to respect for Jack Horenberger." They remained NAIA until 1982 because Horenberger (a huge NAIA advocate) was the AD, and he therefore called the shots with regard to Wesleyan's affiliation.

The WIAC people, incidentally, claim that their conference has never offered athletic scholarships, even when they were NAIA, which means that Terry Porter paid his way to UWSP.

Mr. Ypsi

Greg,

I was VERY unclear in my post.  I realize that Jack Horenberger was still the AD, but "due to respect..." no one challenged him, despite being in an otherwise mostly (or by then all?) d3 conference.  (Besides, according to Dennie Bridges' book, they REALLY enjoyed KC!)

huckleberry

Are there tickets still available for tonites Aurora / Calvin game?
"I'm your Huckleberry........we started a game we never got to finish!"
"What is Truth?"  Jesus