MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gleich

Quote from: sac on January 02, 2013, 05:26:13 PM

I promise this will not affect my opinion of Kansas basketball.

It doesn't affect my opinion either... it has actually reinforced my previous beliefs....
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

almcguirejr

2 OT items

1.  I heard the City of Holland has informed Holland Christian that the Civic Center will no longer be used for basketball after the 2013-14 season.

2.  A friend of mine attended the Grace Bible - Cornerstone game recently.  The word there was that the Nets and Celtics have both sought background information on Allen Durham.  The Nets for the D league. 

sac

Totally unrelated to basketball (though they attempt it) but an interesting story about an Alma student. 

http://www.freep.com/article/20130102/NEWS06/301020104

Adrian Bulldawg Alum

With the postings about non-conference records and opponents winning percentage, it brings me to 1 statement and 1 question.

I do agree with those of you who have said Adrian would have benefited more with a tougher schedule in the sense of their preparation for the MIAA schedule, especially with Calvin and Hope back-to-back, but...

...will this high ranking/undefeated record (assuming Adrian finishes, let's say, 10 and 4 and loses in the MIAA Finals) lead to a possible non-championship birth into the NCAA tournament?  I'm not presuming this birth because I seriously do not know.  I'm not new to the MIAA and the competition, but I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of Massey, getting into the tournament, etc.

Go Bulldogs tomorrow vs. Cavlin!  Hopefully there is a livestream.

sac

Quote from: Adrian Bulldawg Alum on January 02, 2013, 11:51:52 PM
With the postings about non-conference records and opponents winning percentage, it brings me to 1 statement and 1 question.

I do agree with those of you who have said Adrian would have benefited more with a tougher schedule in the sense of their preparation for the MIAA schedule, especially with Calvin and Hope back-to-back, but...

...will this high ranking/undefeated record (assuming Adrian finishes, let's say, 10 and 4 and loses in the MIAA Finals) lead to a possible non-championship birth into the NCAA tournament?  I'm not presuming this birth because I seriously do not know.  I'm not new to the MIAA and the competition, but I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of Massey, getting into the tournament, etc.

Usually 6 or 7 in-region losses is the cutoff point for at-large selection.  It really depends on who wins the AQ's from the other conferences.  The most damaging thing to me about Adrian's schedule is that when it comes to seeding they'll most likely be taking a backseat to someone else because of the strength of schedule or RPI

Mr. Ypsi

Just to add/clarify: poll rankings and Massey have nothing to do with Pool C (at large) selection into the tournament.  In-region record and SoS DO have great implications.  IF Adrian finishes with only 4 losses, they are almost certainly in.  5 is more iffy; 6 would be very iffy.

goodknight

Cornerstone lost last night to Aquinas 81-69 in the Saints' gym.

And speaking of Anderson, the Ravens now have a winning record, including a victory over Defiance.

ziggy

Being birthed into the NCAA tournament would be a very interesting way of getting there! [related]

ziggy

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 03, 2013, 12:14:43 AM
Just to add/clarify: poll rankings and Massey have nothing to do with Pool C (at large) selection into the tournament.  In-region record and SoS DO have great implications.  IF Adrian finishes with only 4 losses, they are almost certainly in.  5 is more iffy; 6 would be very iffy.

Quick rule of thumb I have used is .700 WP and .500 SOS. Teams should mostly feel good about their chances if they meet both of those numbers. Come up short in one then we play the balance game that no one knows the rules for.

KnightSlappy

Adrian is positioned VERY well for a Pool C (at large) NCAA Tournament bid. Four of their six regional games were on the road, one was at a neutral site, and only one was at home, so they actually have a very good numerical in-region strength of schedule number.

If regional rankings came out right now I would fully expect the Bulldogs to be the top team in the region. I would have a hard time seeing them miss if they go 10-4 in the league.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: ziggy on January 03, 2013, 08:29:11 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 03, 2013, 12:14:43 AM

Quick rule of thumb I have used is .700 WP and .500 SOS. Teams should mostly feel good about their chances if they meet both of those numbers. Come up short in one then we play the balance game that no one knows the rules for.

Maybe closer to .750 on the WP, but yeah. Usually those teams get in.

Knight2Day

Going back a few weeks to the CCIW/MIAA challenge when we said that the Carthage and Wheaton games would be the litmus test for the Knights, I think tonight will be bigger than those as a win at home vs Adrian will pay dividends at the end of the season when it comes to MIAA championship and conference tourney. Get the win at home and less pressure when you play at Adrian, always a tough place to get a W. here's to a Calvin knights win and a continued hot streak by Sniks and Brink

KnightSlappy

Interesting to compare our collective predictions (as given by the spread in confidence points in the MIAA Pick 'em page) with Massey's:

Pick'em  Massey
Trine over Kalamazoo   94%      90%
Hope over Alma         90%      84%
Olivet over Albion     57%      64%
Calvin over Adrian     53%      62%

Pretty close, actually.

realist

Yes,  Calvin has been live streaming for years.  Calvin does not do use announcers for the video so you need to listen to regular broadcast.
Gets interesting with the tape delay.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: realist on January 03, 2013, 11:14:19 AM

Yes,  Calvin has been live streaming for years.  Calvin does not do use announcers for the video so you need to listen to regular broadcast.
Gets interesting with the tape delay.

I believe Calvin does sync up the video with the Doug-E-Fresh broadcast. At least it's that way in the archived versions.