WBB: Northwest Conference

Started by swiss, March 07, 2005, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny24

Let's also point out that both LC and GF take their show on the road in the second half of the season with the upper challengers. I'm sure the Whit's, Pacific and UPS will have something else to say about the conversation.

BruinFan

Manny,

I completly agree on the road schedule for LC and GF. LC only has Willamette and Linfield at home out of 8 games. GF has the same teams at home plus LC tomorrow.

The Whit's and UPS have a chance to influence the order of finish prior to the conference play-offs.

See my post on the Top 25 conversation promoting tomorrow's game between the Pioneers and Bruins.

mkt

Quote from: Manny24 on January 21, 2013, 10:43:13 AM
My opinion is they should rest Hannah and get her as healthy as possible for the post season, see how they can play against a quality team without her so they can find some chemistry without her just in case.

Yes, that re-injury that Munger suffered -- and subsequently, tonight's loss to L&C, suggests that you were right about letting Munger recuperate her knee and aim to be ready for the conference tournament and NCAA tournament.  Well she may in fact now be getting exactly that sort of rest and recuperation, which could be a good thing for George Fox in the long run if she can come back stronger.  The hard part will be working the rust out of her game, so that also has to be balanced against resting her.

Whitman still has a chance to put a hurt on LC and GFU at home, and so most likely we'll see 2 or maybe even 3 of those teams battling to the end of  the conference season.  Last season was my first one watching NWC basketball; despite the dominance of GFU there was plenty of excitement and good basketball along the way and this season looks even more competitive and exciting.  None of the teams look like likely candidates to advance to the NCAA final as GFU did, but there's good basketball being played in the league.

Cdalakelady

Sure proud of the Whitworth Pirate Women last night.  Never seen they play such a good game.

Manny24

Indeed, Whitworth pulled the upset of the week over LC and forced yet another log jam at the top of the NWC. The four participants of the NWC tournament are becoming obvious  but how they finish and who they play are still up for grabs. Whits will have another chance to shake up the standings this week as they play each other tomorrow night and host GF over the weekend.

LC came back and beat Whitman on Saturday to stay atop the standings and plays the bottom have of the NWC over the next couple weeks and I suspect will win out. UPS played them tough last time they played and LC barely got away with a win. UPS at home, yes. Upset? We shall see.

GF has their hands full this weekend traveling to eastern washington as LC did last weekend. I am going to assume they will continue to play without Munger. Hayes and Wolfe are playing pretty well while she is out. Their Freshman also continue to step up.

Whitman and Whitworth laceup tomorrow night at Whitman. We'll see if the Missionaries can even the season series at home as Whitworth took the early season game at home.Then both take turns hosting GF this weekend.

Regular season is shaping up to have a competivie and entertaining finish.

Manny24

Congrats to both Whits this weekend. Both put the hurt on GF. Whitman with their defense holding GF to its lowest point total all year and Whitworth lit them up with 3's.

It was good to see Munger get back off the bench with some minutes however GF just played poorly in the areas where you need the stats, 45% FT combined both nights, of the 81 rebounds only 17 were offensive. 4 of 34 from beyond the arc. Then to let Whitworth who is known for launching long range get a dozen to fall is just poor defense. They will have to get back on the hustle wagon and want it if they are going to get back into it.

UPS nearly pulled off an upset of their own with LC but it was LC who prevailed by 2. LC is poised to win the NWC Conference, two more wins and it's theirs.

Not sure how the tie breaker would work if all the top 4 won out with GF and Whitworth. We shall see.

Manny24

No big head to head games to determine Conference title this year.

LC travels to PLU, LC wins gets Title.
Whitman travels to Linfield & Willamette, Whitman wins both gets #2 seed
Whitworth travels to Linfield and Willamette, Whitworth wins both gets #3 seed
GF Travels PLU and UPS, win or lose gets #4 seed

First games of NWC Tournament next week:

Thursday 2/21:

#1 seed LC hosts #4 seed GF. I'm not quite ready to rule out an upset here. GF has the talent, they just have not been able to find 40 minutes of chemistry. No better time than this game. Munger needs a big game. The rest of team has stepped up when she has been out but seem to have retracted when she gets back in. It just can't be the Munger show, they just need to play and have some fun. LC has remained healthy but has shown some vulnerability. Their balance of guards is tough to navigate. This game will be won or lost in the paint.

#2 Whitman host #3 Whitworth. Both teams have won on their home court this season. If Missionaries can hold the Pirates to under 8 3's I'm going with Whitman. If Whitworth can run the floor and wear Whitman down to where they see some open shots, Whitworth has the edge. It's going be a close game. One thing I've noticed with either of these teams is they have the ability to come back. Neither team should get to comfortable with a lead. Gaps are quickly closed.

Manny24

Anyone have any speculations on the games tonight? With LC having the season they have had and maintaining their rankings all year both top 10ish and regional, even if they get upset I think they may get an at large bid to the tournament. All others I think need to win out for the chance.

BruinFan

Manny 24,

Thanks for trying to keep the conversation going - a very quiet year on the board. I'm guessing that neither LC or Whitman have many followers on this site.

Of all the possible combinations tonight, the result that would surprise me the most is Whitworth winning at Whitman. All four teams should feel like they can compete and come away with a victory, which makes for a great conference tournament.

I believe LC is likely in the national tournament with the #2 regional ranking even with a loss tonight. A win tonight and they are a lock.
Whitman has a reasonable shot at an at-large bid with a win tonight. I think they can get in with a loss at LC due to their #6 regional ranking.

George Fox and Whitworth need to win the conference tournament as an at-large bid seems out of reach.

Manny24

Congrats to Coach Higgs and the Whitworth programs who have both Men and Women in the NWC Championship games. You would think getting out rebounded 50 to 31,  that the outcome would look a little different but the lady pirates had eight different players hit from long range and once again it pays off. Neither team had to worry about to much of any come backs as I don't think either led by more than 6 the entire game. Good defensive effort to hold Whitman well below their average. Good luck saturday.

Congrats to LC in putting aside any doubt in the ability to get past GF and put their streak of NWC championships to an end. The hot and cold season for Bruins continued. After racing out of the blocks to an 11-2 lead in the first five minutes of the game to only scoring 12 the remaining 15 minutes and allowing 35 in it. They did come out and play pretty consistent in the second half but to little to late. Congrats to Munger on an outstanding career and all the best moving forward. It is very difficult to recover from that kind of injury she suffered last year. Time for key players to get healthy. Also with good minutes for the freshman this year, they will be back and competitive next season for sure.

BruinFan

Congratulations to Whitworth for coming through with the result I thought was least likely last night.

Lewis and Clark did not panic during the first 5 minutes of the game as GF came out hot and then faded under the defensive pressure of the Pioneers. I think this is the first time since 2006 that GF has not been in the conference final.

LC seniors Williams and Villanueva will be tough to replace next year, although Anderson will easily make the transition from spark off the bench to starter. GF only significant loss will be Munger who tried to make the best of a tough circumstance this year. Hannah often not being at full strength gave the Bruins a head start on learning to play with out the all-star senior in 2013-14. Bruins should have plenty of guard options next year if Heckendorf and Parker get healthy and rejoin Cusick, Roos, Blizzard, and Miner in the rotation.

(509)Rat

Congrats to the Whitworth women. Beat LC for the pool A bid tonight. Guessing LC will get a pod? I should probably check women's regional rankings...can't imagine Whitworth women getting it, especially with Men hosting 1st round game

80sshorts

Interesting bracket that the committee has furnished for 2013. Whitman is the talk of the morning after being bounced in the conference tourney semis but sneaking into the bracket, and "only" have to travel to Portland for a pod with L&C (host).  Meanwhile, the outright winner of the conference tournament, Whitworth, gets rewarded by being flown out to Atlanta and taking on the champion of one of the best conferences in Division III, Emory.  That's a tall order for the Pirates, but if they were to pull off the upset, I would like their chances in the second round against either Huntingdon or Ferrum.  If they make it to the sweet 16, and Whitman or L&C emerges in the Sweet 16 as well, that might open the door for the NWC to host a sectional as well (I've glanced at the other side of the NWC-heavy bracket and it looks like there is a heavy Northeastern concentration of teams so logistically it's just as likely they could fly Whitman/L&C and Whitworth out east if that's what eventually transpires.  But there's a lot of games the Northwest teams have to win to get there first).  Generous of the NCAA to give the conference three tourney bids so good luck to all three! Personally I'm curious to see if Lewis & Clark can finally make a long March run now that their annual nemesis is out of the way. I think they were at least an Elite 8 caliber team last season if they hadn't run into George Fox so soon.

Pat Coleman

It's a long trip for Whitworth, but I think there's a reward in avoiding Lewis and Clark.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

(509)Rat

They've beaten LC (and Whitman) 2x each this year. I don't know if sending them to a familiar gym, 5 hours from home, to play a team they've beaten 2 out of 3 games would be much of a punishment.

But the Whitworth women played their best bball at the right time. I don't think they'd be a "favorite" against any of the teams in the LC pod anyways, so it really doesn't matter where they got sent. I would just imagine it'd be nicer for the players and their families to stay closer to Spokane.