WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthepaint

I just wanted my 400th post!   ;D

Ralph Turner

calhsu

I was a little disappointed in Fanstand's post but I really do understand.  Pour out hostility toward HSU or put the blame on it her girls.  It really wasn't much of a choice. 

I bleed purple and gold this time of year.  But all this talk of final four and national championship is a little premature.  Ralph,  I do not think if they lost to PLU at PLU,  a team as highly rated as that, or if they then lost to RMC that would be so bad.   I am not making excues ahead of time I am really just being realistic.  This team has more losses than any HSU team in recent years.   
On the other hand, the theory that they might be better because they had to fight and claw to get here this year has some merit.   One other good thing is how the team has transitioned to what it is now.  I did some comparison of the team when they beat MCM the first time and where they are as of the past weekend.   Very different and several sophs have really stepped up. 
Up to now all the cowgirls have done is win the state DIII championship.   
The ladies need to bring a umbrella for it has been very wet here on the left coast.  And all my trips to the Seattle, Tacoma area  were wet.   I visited the PLU campus in high school , very beautiful,  very expensive to go there.

inthepaint

I'm under the impression that areas of the country serve up very different levels of play in terms of women's basketball.  For instance, West Texas typically has stronger women's teams than south Texas; the Panhandle offers a stronger overall program than East Texas.  The Northeastern part of the country typically has stronger teams than the South and I don't remember too many really strong teams in the Western part of the country at all.

I may be way off base here but I think HSU has a much better lot before them by playing west coast teams than they would if they were heading easterly at this point in the tournament.  Playing Midwest teams the last few years of postseason play has never been successful for the Cowgirls.  I'm optimistic over their chances for success!

jmnaseum

The most dominating team in the ASC is HSU -- (Men's or Women's)  Who else can compare with HSU over the past 8 years.  Final 4, Elite 8, National Championship, who cares. No one has done what HSU Women have done.
Good Luck with the next game and hats off to them for this years run.  Way to go Coach Briggs and Cowgirls!!!  Everyone had you buried and the haters are now coming out.

pirateonthebrazos

Aaahhh!  Finally back in the office after a weekend in Abilene.... but what a weekend.   From o and out to the 16th floor.  The Cowgirls were brilliant, played with passion and emotion,  and did not let a very hostile gym effect them.  They played like there was no tomorrow, but with poise and determination.  I can't put my finger on it but they seemed like a much different team than they had been all season......they went out on the floor and just played their hearts out!
   I know some of what went on in that hour after the loss in Miss.  but wow,  whatever else happend.. it was magic.  The girls had been thru  much adversity up until Miss. and got beat by a very athletic and good ETBU team.... then to get a second chance....They made the most of it!!!
   I do know this..the Cowgirls are not satisfied to just be there,  They are going out to win it all.  After McMurry their matra was 5 more games,  after HPU they said 4 more games... I believe they can do it and they believe they can do it..they are a very dangerous team right now(ask Sam)

GO COWGIRLS!!    (sorry about the all caps)

inthepaint

Quote from: jmnaseum on March 06, 2006, 12:14:51 PM
The most dominating team in the ASC is HSU -- (Men's or Women's) 

Final 4, Elite 8, National Championship, who cares. No one has done what HSU Women have done.

Men's or Women's?   ???  I have not watched a men's game in a few years but three years or so ago the men's team was awful!  Maybe they have improved, I simply do not know.  But I would never use the word "dominating" when describing HSU men's basketball!

Who cares?  I do.   :o  While no one in the ASC has done what HSU has done, plenty of teams in the national arena have done all that and more! 

The best the ASC has delivered in the last who-knows-how-many years is an Elite Eight appearance.  Typically it's been a Sweet 16 showing and then a good thumping by some team outside of the South.  The best thing that could happen to both the ASC and HSU would be a Final Four appearance or better!  I am thinking this is the best year in a dozen for it to occur!

inthepaint

Hey!  As important as all this ASC/Final Four/Rivalry talk is, I just had to break the thread with news about the new Bob Marley image on my profile.  Nice.  Very nice. 

calhsu

One of the first years HSU was in the NCAA tournament they played PLU and were beat badly.  Ralph would remember it was one of the Otwell(I think that is how she spelled it) teams.

Paint I think you are right,  all things considered if you are faced with playing the team in the west and south with the best records  or   playing the teams from the east or midwest we have the better draw.

inthepaint

Quote from: calhsu on March 06, 2006, 01:25:06 PM
Paint I think you are right,  all things considered if you are faced with playing the team in the west and south with the best records  or   playing the teams from the east or midwest we have the better draw.

Of course I am right!  Was there ever any question?  ;D

calhsu

Paint I studied at seminary about you,  I think the word was
"inerrant."

calhsu

What  a small world and maybe a little karma for HSU.  As I was checking the PLU season it seems that they lost one of their games to an Oregon team named Lewis and Clark.  On that team they have a player named Allison Farr who just happens to be from our little area.  My daughter even played against her until she quit playing her junior year.  The Farr girl is a "wide body" and had five blocks against PLU. 

calhsu

It is very interesting checking the PLU stats.  From the looks of it they have two really good players.  Johnson and Long who both have over three hundred points a piece and one has 264 rebounds and Long has 335 rebounds. Both girls are juniors. K. Turner has 392 points  but on 95 rebounds. She is a senior.  Buckingham hs 237 pts and Mann 165,  after that it really drops off.  So they have five solid players only one soph.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: calhsu on March 06, 2006, 11:28:18 AM
...   This team has more losses than any HSU team in recent years.   
On the other hand, the theory that they might be better because they had to fight and claw to get here this year has some merit.   One other good thing is how the team has transitioned to what it is now.  I did some comparison of the team when they beat MCM the first time and where they are as of the past weekend.   Very different and several sophs have really stepped up. 
Up to now all the cowgirls have done is win the state DIII championship.   

Guuawwwllyy, I couldn't have said it better! ;)

If the conference is better, then we should see it in the post-season play, and HSU would be more "battle-hardened" from playing a more competitive ASC-West/ASC!

inthepaint

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 06, 2006, 04:05:26 PM

If the conference is better, then we should see it in the post-season play, and HSU would be more "battle-hardened" from playing a more competitive ASC-West/ASC!

I hope that is exactly what has happened!  I believe the ASC, especially the West, has stepped things up dramatically over the last two years and that the battle for the ASC championship only improves every team. 

HSU has taken advantage of the gift that this opportunity for postseaon play was.  Hopefully they were a good pick and their continued success will only affirm the decision to invite them to the tournament.