FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLynn

"We have a flu shot for the flu. We don't have a COVID vaccine yet. There's the difference." 

How many who took the flu shot still died?

Did the flu kill all 34,000 by itself or were there other health issues at work?

Who's going to take the first 10,000 Covid vaccine shots?

How much will they cost?

Why didn't modern medicine save Chadwick Boseman?

Modern medicine has A LOT to answer for IMO

jamtod

Quote from: BLynn on August 30, 2020, 05:33:25 PM
Watched CAU Bears beat Austin Peay last night.  CFB looked great again.  Plus, it looks repeatable by other colleges, based on the following data.  Found this on a report from the CDC.  Here's the link - https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/new-cdc-report-shows-94-of-covid-19-deaths-in-us-had-underlying-medical-conditions/

The article boiled down - "only 6% of deaths have COVID-19 as the only cause mentioned, revealing that 94% of patients who died from coronavirus also had underlying health conditions"  This means about 10 to 11K of the 180,000 deaths are truly due to Covid-19.  With precautions in place, colleges can catch some of the 'underlying issues' before they become death-inducing issues, (see Max Duggan from Council Bluffs at TCU).

Not down-playing Covid, but if we were told this earlier we probably don't shut down America.

That's not what this means at all.
What this means is that many of the death certificates listed pneumonia or heart problems which are linked to... COVID-19. Other underlying health conditions can include things like obesity or diabetes, which are not fatal on their own.

Last I checked, 186,000 (even if we discount that a bit which... excess death comparisons to prior years don't really support) is >>> 34,000 and those have occurred almost entirely outside of the bounds of normal flu season in the US.

d-train

Look the US is lowest in numerous categories. We are lower than the world. You can't just look at deaths, you have to look at cases. And frankly, we could have fewer confirmed cases if we just tested less.  </sarcasm>

hazzben

Quote from: BLynn on August 31, 2020, 04:49:06 PM
"We have a flu shot for the flu. We don't have a COVID vaccine yet. There's the difference." 

Did the flu kill all 34,000 by itself or were there other health issues at work?

How much will they cost?

If I have stage 4 cancer, and high blood pressure or diabetes or am obese (no jokes please  :D), and I die, did I die from the cancer or the high blood pressure? You died from cancer, though you might have had a higher chance at survival without the comorbidities.

Keep in mind, we are a nation filled with underlying conditions.

blue_jays

Quote from: BLynn on August 31, 2020, 04:49:06 PM

How much will they cost?

You're all over the map with this one, what are you trying to say? "Medicine doesn't cure everything immediately" so we should just all be reckless with the most contagious illness we've seen in 100 years? It gets spread by breathing on each other, which happens A LOT in collegiate sports. Personally, I don't need collegiate athletes to entertain me this year, they can try to stay safe like everyone else and not spread infections further (which University of Alabama has found out the hard way). It's hard enough to run in-person classes across the nation, let alone have schools with different safety protocols playing each other multiple times a week.
I'm sure there's plenty of people who want to just ignore COVID and "take the risk", but it all comes down to LIABILITY. The schools don't want to be sued into bankruptcy. It's easy to be cavalier about all these when you don't have skin in the game.

BLynn

"It's easy to be cavalier about all these when you don't have skin in the game."

blue_jays, thanks.  I've been called much worse than 'cavalier' lately.  I'll take it.

Outside the Crate

It seems to me that some of you need to be listening more closely to Dr. Fauci.  While Mr. Trump is often critical of him, Fauci is the third most cited scientist in the whole world -- and he's a national treasure!  I trust him a heck of a lot more than Mr. Trump or (no offense) anyone spouting off on D3.com.

doolittledog

Quote from: Outside the Crate on September 01, 2020, 07:13:28 PM
It seems to me that some of you need to be listening more closely to Dr. Fauci.  While Mr. Trump is often critical of him, Fauci is the third most cited scientist in the whole world -- and he's a national treasure!  I trust him a heck of a lot more than Mr. Trump or (no offense) anyone spouting off on D3.com.

Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Schipper Strong

Quote from: Outside the Crate on September 01, 2020, 07:13:28 PM
Got to agree with OTC on this one. Fauci should be leading the task force.

Schipper Strong

Tune into KRLS FM 92.1 every Saturday afternoon at 1:00 for Central College football brought to you by the Voice-of-the-Dutch Trevor Castle. Starting this Saturday and a total of 12 Saturdays. Time to relive classic Central football games from 2001 on. With 12 games on the schedule, it looks like a winning season!

Fannosaurus Rex

When I went outside this morning it smelled like football season.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

hazzben

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on September 02, 2020, 08:44:48 AM

My exact thought last night at my sons fb practice. It's starting to feel like football season. But with no college fb  :'(

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on September 02, 2020, 08:44:48 AM

I hear you! On my run today, I went past a bunch of people mowing their lawn and the freshly mowed grass only added to that feeling.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

colts183

Does anyone know what the reasons are behind the hatred between UD and Loras?

doolittledog

Quote from: colts183 on September 04, 2020, 03:05:07 PM
Does anyone know what the reasons are behind the hatred between UD and Loras?

Where do I begin  ;D

Proximity...1 mile between the two campuses.

Religion...Loras is Catholic, UD Presbyterian.     

A little over a century ago, UD was known as Dubuque College and Loras was St Joseph.  St Joseph changed their name to Dubuque College and would sit on mail that was supposed to have been delivered to UD.  The Iowa Supreme court eventually told both schools to change their names.  St Joseph, which was calling itself Dubuque College, changed their name to Columbia College before eventually settling on the Loras College name in 1939.  Dubuque College changed their name to the University of Dubuque.  That was not taken well by Loras College.  After that, the two schools would not play each other in football.  When the Iowa Conference split into North/South divisions in 1950 Dubuque was put in the South and Loras was put in the North division. 

Yada, yada, yada, the list goes on and on. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."