MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: AndOne on March 16, 2019, 05:17:29 PM
And, one more thing........

And, speaking of Coach Giovanine, I think there is another thing we can all agree on. This coming Tuesday, March 19, he will undergo prostate cancer surgery at Mayo Clinic. No matter what any of us feel about his on court deportment, the thing I believe all of us CCIWers can do is send a huge collective GOOD LUCK message to the Coach as he approaches his surgery. I've personally been touched by this insidious disease as I fairly recently lost a brother-in-law to it. I've seen not only what it does to a victim, but to his family as well. However, I have two other brothers-in-law who are prostrate cancer survivors. So there is definitely good cause for hope.
I sense that if Coach Giovanine attacks his recovery with the same vigor and intensity that he does a basketball game, that his damn cancer won't stand a chance! It will be one victory that even those of us who can't really be classified as Augie fans can cheer!

GOOD LUCK COACH GIOVANINE.

UPDATE

Had the opportunity to talk to Coach Giovanine at the IBCA All-Star game in Pontiac yesterday afternoon. He looks strong/great.
I don't think he will be too upset with me for reporting the fact that his rehab is going great guns, and recent test/scans are all looking great with no indication of any cancer presently. It appears Coach G is well on his way to full recovery—-which, no matter what our loyalties, all of us can cheer. No doubt we'll see him back on the sidelines this season shouting instructions, voicing his opinions, and "gyrating" as vigorously as ever. 👍

AndOne

NCC RECRUIT

Instantaneously making the all-time All CCIW Name Dream Team is NCC recruit T.J. Fullilove, a 6'3" SF/SG out of Indian Trail HS in Kenosha,WI.
T.J., a high jumper and triple jumper, will also be a member of the Cardinals renowned track & field team.

lmitzel

Quote from: AndOne on June 09, 2019, 03:09:54 PM
Instantaneously making the all-time All CCIW Name Dream Team is NCC recruit T.J. Fullilove, a 6'3" SF/SG out of Indian Trail HS in Kenosha,WI.

Yeah, he makes my All-Name Team. It's co-ed and I had to fill out the starting five with a WIAC player. Also, small ball on steroids:

-T.J. Fullilove (NCC men)
-Veggie Tangen (NPU men)
-Yip Ypya (Millikin women)
-IxChel Leeuwenburgh (NCC women)
-Teenie Lichtfuss (UW-EC women)
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

AndOne

Quote from: lmitzel on June 10, 2019, 01:58:18 PM

Yeah, he makes my All-Name Team. It's co-ed and I had to fill out the starting five with a WIAC player. Also, small ball on steroids:

-Veggie Tangen (NPU men)

A fine representation of current/recent monikers. However, when talking all-time CCIW names, one that must be included is former NCC guard C.J. Goldthree, an all-conference performer in 2012.
C.J. is probably best remembered for scoring as many points (23) in the first half of a game against Lake Forest as the entire LF team had at halftime.
A good student as well as a ball player, he sadly spent only 2 years in Naperville before his flame 🔥 burned out, chiefly as a result of homesickness 🏡, and he rode off into the sunset 🌅.

lmitzel

Quote from: AndOne on June 10, 2019, 03:08:41 PM

-Veggie Tangen (NPU men)

A fine representation of current/recent monikers. However, when talking all-time CCIW names, one that must be included is former NCC guard C.J. Goldthree, an all-conference performer in 2012.
C.J. is probably best remembered for scoring as many points (23) in the first half of a game against Lake Forest as the entire LF team had at halftime.
A good student as well as a ball player, he sadly spent only 2 years in Naperville before his flame 🔥 burned out, chiefly as a result of homesickness 🏡, and he rode off into the sunset 🌅.

...I'm mad at myself that I forgot about him.

All right, we've got an All-CCIW Name starting five!
#THREEEEEEEEE

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: lmitzel on June 10, 2019, 04:45:10 PM
Quote from: AndOne on June 10, 2019, 03:08:41 PM

-Veggie Tangen (NPU men)

...I'm mad at myself that I forgot about him.

All right, we've got an All-CCIW Name starting five!

It's good to have just CCIW, but I'm not sure that C. J. Goldthree can quite match up to Teenie Lichtfuss! ::)

I sure hope that 'Teenie' is an acquired nickname; otherwise her parents should probably be charged with child abuse! :o ;D  And how's she gonna like the name when she's 55?

AndOne

Ypsi,

Everyone I've ever mentioned it to thinks C.J. Goldthree is one of the great all-time names. Part of the beauty of the name is it's relatability to the game of basketball as in C.J. was often gold from three! 8-)

As far as Teenie goes, she isn't. It must be a nickname as Teenie is 5'10". Not too teenie! :D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AndOne on June 10, 2019, 09:36:01 PM
Ypsi,

Everyone I've ever mentioned it to thinks C.J. Goldthree is one of the great all-time names. Part of the beauty of the name is it's relatability to the game of basketball as in C.J. was often gold from three! 8-)

As far as Teenie goes, she isn't. It must be a nickname as Teenie is 5'10". Not too teenie! :D

I was thinking more TEENie, as opposed to teeny-tiny.  As in, an 8-year old might aspire to Teenie, but what would a 60-year-old think?

Nonetheless, I get your point, and an all-CCIW all-name team works for me.

(As Mr. Ypsi, my favorite is Yip Ypya! ;D  If she had come to EMU, she's be immortal now! 8-))

AndOne

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 10, 2019, 10:28:34 PM
Ypsi,

I was thinking more TEENie, as opposed to teeny-tiny.  As in, an 8-year old might aspire to Teenie, but what would a 60-year-old think?

Nonetheless, I get your point, and an all-CCIW all-name team works for me.

(As Mr. Ypsi, my favorite is Yip Ypya! ;D  If she had come to EMU, she's be immortal now! 8-))

Priceless. But, your better half might be jealous! 😯

markerickson

Speaking of names, my (MN) HS wrestling teammate, Pongsavath Xatprasert, lived with us in order to help with his HS graduation.  It was amusing to hear the announcer pronounce Pong's name.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

lmitzel

I didn't remember the 5'10" part. The only things I remember about her one trip to Merner was her name (last name pronounced "light-foose" and don't ask me how I remember this half a decade later) and the fact that the Blugolds blew a 19 point second half lead that day and lost by 12.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 10, 2019, 10:28:34 PM

Honestly, I think it's mine, too. But Veggie Tangen might have been the one I had the most fun with. I went with his real name the first time around, but said screw it this past year and called him Veggie partially because I wanted to see how long it would take before Clark turned to me to ask what the hell I was doing.  :)
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on June 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM
Honestly, I think it's mine, too. But Veggie Tangen might have been the one I had the most fun with. I went with his real name the first time around, but said screw it this past year and called him Veggie partially because I wanted to see how long it would take before Clark turned to me to ask what the hell I was doing.  :)

Of course, I encouraged you -- and the several other P.A. announcers and PBP broadcasters who asked me about him -- to call him "Veggie". After all, it's what he preferred to be called. He liked the nickname.

The funny thing is that "Vegard" is the ultimate trendy name in Norway. It's an old Viking name that went out of use for hundreds of years, and then, just before the turn of the millennium, it suddenly became popular again in Norway to give baby boys that name. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows a whole bunch of guys his age back home in Oslo who have the same name. I'd be shocked if any of them go by "Veggie", though. For one thing, the 'g' in "Vegard" is a hard 'g', as opposed to the 'g's in "Veggie"; Norwegian, like the other Scandinavian languages, lacks the 'j' sound. For another, the word "veggie" has no meaning in Norwegian; they refer to vegetables as grønnsaker.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

voxelmhurst

Quote from: lmitzel on June 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM
But Veggie Tangen might have been the one I had the most fun with.

This really sounds like a great name for the singer of a 70s/80s California punk band. Though perhaps Jello Biafra was enough.