WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

R-MC loses to Wartburg by 19 in Las Vegas after leading by a point at halftime. Got outscored 22-8 in the 4th quarter. Kelly Williams only takes seven shots and only makes one. Also got out rebounded 49-32. Wartburg must have some height and been able to deny passes into Williams. Wartburg was a final four team last year.

gordonmann

Wartburg does have a lot of height, but I wonder if Kelly was limited by injury or illness. She only played three minutes in the second half and none in the fourth quarter. It's also possible that the coaching staff decided they needed to try something else.

https://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/women/2018-19/boxscores/20181218_f1de.xml?view=period4

Randolph-Macon plays Salisbury today at 5 pm so we'll know more about her status then.

y_jack_lok

^^^Hmmm... Definitely unusual for her to play only 20 minutes total, especially with only one foul. Doesn't seem likely she would sit out an entire quarter so the coaching staff could experiment. Hope she's okay. Might have been a closer game had she played the whole way, but I was still expecting Wartburg more likely to win that game.

gordonmann

rmc1982

Looks like she also didn't play in an 81-77 loss toW &L in Lexington.... What gives?
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

y_jack_lok

Quote from: rmc1982 on January 02, 2019, 06:56:05 PM
Looks like she also didn't play in an 81-77 loss toW &L in Lexington.... What gives?

W&L announcers said Kelly Williams is out for the season with an injury. Must have happened against Wartburg in Vegas. Jackets will have to learn to play a very different kind of game now. I watched some of today's game. Michael Ross really stepped up. She is quick and athletic and capable of taking over a game. Just needs to do it consistently. As a team I thought the Jackets were slow to get back on defense today. The coaches will get things worked out and the players will adapt to a new way of doing things. They will miss Williams, especially on defense, so will have to defend differently around the hoop.

rmc1982

I still wonder why there hasnt been any mention of the injury in the press, for example....Yes she will be sorely missed by the jackets!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

hoopstermom

Roanoke Times article that reported on the recent game against W&L says she is out due to an ankle injury.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/college-basketball-w-l-women-s-basketball-upsets-no-randolph/article_4af3f5f1-27d4-5a66-9887-ccc054201831.html

Didn't say was season ending.   I hope to find out more at the game this Saturday.

rmc1982

Quote from: hoopstermom on January 04, 2019, 04:52:31 PM
Roanoke Times article that reported on the recent game against W&L says she is out due to an ankle injury.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/college-basketball-w-l-women-s-basketball-upsets-no-randolph/article_4af3f5f1-27d4-5a66-9887-ccc054201831.html

Didn't say was season ending.   I hope to find out more at the game this Saturday.
Thanks Hoopstermom! Not much has been said in our RMC family circle about it andI was just wondering.... hope she's better soon!! My daughter played against and had to guard her a few times in HS and she's a BEAST to handle!! Plus a GREAT  young lady!

hoopstermom

Well, the news was printed in the program brochure today for the game at R-MC against Ferrum - Kelly is out for the remainder of the season.  She apparently blew out her knee in the Wartburg game...just making a routine pivot to change directions, not even under pressure or guarded.

Coach LaHaye obviously trying different combinations of five on the floor to achieve best results. Everyone played today in a 73-41 win over Ferrum. Charlotte Woods got the most playing time with 32 minutes and missed a double, double by one rebound, with 14 points and 9 rebounds. Lauren Lewis and Michal Ross came in off the bench to score 12 and 10 points respectively. Plenty of capable talent on the team, only time will tell how they learn and develop without Williams serving as the anchor.

Will be interesting to see how the team handles the remainder of the season. Still have to face Guilford and VA Wesleyan twice and everyone but Hollins and Lynchburg once... really not even half way through conference games.

hasanova

Final in Greensboro:  Guilford 60, Randolph-Macon 53

A big win for the Quakers as they assume sole possession of first in the ODAC.  Guilford was led by Miracle Walters' 24 points.  The game was competitive throughout, but GC took control in the 3rd quarter.  The program mentioned Kelly Williams was out for the year for the Yellow Jackets ... tough break for RMC.  I wish her a full recovery soon.

hasanova

Congratulations to Guilford's Miracle Walters for being named to the Team of the Week.  Her play helped propel the Quakers to wins over both E&H and RMC and sole possession of 1st in the ODAC.

hasanova

Pat, I tried two emails to you, but they were not delivered.  Please check the ODAC icons (there are two) under women's scores.  Both are actually linked to the Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) scores ... it's been that way since the season started.  Thanks!

Pat Coleman

Thanks for the heads-up. Taken care of!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.