MIAC 2016

Started by gustiefan04, August 28, 2016, 11:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlEtonDad

The heat of the moment can change a man. What a weird day of MIAC results. Here's some winners and losers.

BIG Winners:

UST: Let's start with the top of the table as St. Thomas did just enough in Northfield to come away with a 1-0 win. With the win, they are outright MIAC champions and have homefield advantage in the playoffs. They are IN the NCAA tournament.

MAC: Turned things around in a slugfest in Collegeville with an OT winner to get the inside track on a first round bye.

Mark Heydt: Scored his 6th MIAC goal and surely locked up MIAC POY with an impressive offensive season from left back.

Look on the Brightside:

CarlEton: clinch a playoff spot on the day (10 years in a row!) and can clinch a home game with a win in Winona

St. Mary's: managed to have their best day in a while (by not playing). If they can somehow beat CarlEton, they actually have a good chance of getting in the playoffs. What is the world coming to?!

If only... if only...:

GAC: nice 2-0 win at home over lowly Concordia to clinch a playoff spot but can only think what could have been if things had stayed level in Collegeville

Bethel: the hiccup in Fargo..... Otherwise they'd be in 5th place right now. What is the world coming to?!

BIG Losers:

HAMLINE: WTF happened?! Could the mediocrity of the MIAC have helped you any more today?! St. Olaf, St. John's, and CarlEton all lose and you lay a fat egg against Bethel?!!!!! I don't get it.

Greg Holker: with the win over Olaf, Augsburg has false hope once again. He'll have to keep fighting for an 8 team playoff to find room for the Auggies

St. Olaf and St. John's: two more gut-wrenching losses to add to these subpar seasons. Each team's season could be on the line in Northfield this weekend OR the loser could still make the playoffs with 13 points. What is the world coming to?!

gustiefan04

Look at the MIAC site, it looks like on UST, MAC and GAC have clinched playoff berths so far, and will play their final game of the season for seeding.

My prediction for how the playoff picture shakes out...

1. St. Thomas - Win Lose or Draw in the final game, they've got it locked up
2. MAC - Must win hosting Bethel. They should win this game, but they way they've been playing lately, anything can happen. a Loss or draw opens the door for GAC to finish 2nd.
3. GAC - A win vs. Hamline guarantees a top 3 finish.
4. Carleton - Carleton should take care of biz on the road vs. St. Mary's
5. St. John's - A win vs. STO allows the Johnnies to edge out the Ole's for the 5th seed
6. St. Olaf - Sneaks in to the playoff picture...

Of course a few unpredictable results and we could see 3 entirely different teams jump into spots 4-6 determined by tie breakers, as we'd have a cluster of teams at 14 points.

CarlEtonDad

If you go through tiebreakers and scenarios, the Knights automatically finish 6th with a loss.

gustiefan04

That very well could be. Truthfully, I haven't taken a deeper dive into the tie breaker scenarios. I just went off what the MIAC website shows. I also suspect that those tie breaker scenarios aren't too likely as each of the remaining games has a pretty clear-cut favorite, with the exception of the SJU vs Olaf match. That one could go either way.

CarlEtonDad

I was wrong in that CarlEton actually could finish 5th with a loss, which would be the most likely outcome. SJU vs. Olaf should be interesting even though I suspect both will still make the playoffs. Interestingly, if SJU loses, they would need help from UST, MAC, GAC, and CarlEton, whereas the Oles would only need help from UST and GAC. The Johnnies have their bizarre season to thank for that as they lost to both Bethel and St. Mary's.

gustiefan04

Rough day for GAC and Carleton.

Auggies played excellently today.GAC played them tough, but Auggies deserved the win. They moved the ball nicely and put away two solid goals, early. 

GAC got one back in the first half and missed a great chance to tie it up in the early minutes of the second half. Header over the bar from just a few yards out.

Tomorrow's rematch with St Thomas should be entertaining.

Surprised to see the Johnnies rout Carleton like they did today, 3-0.

CarlEtonDad

good season for the Knights! Return to the playoffs for the god knows how many years in a row now!!

CarlEtonSon

And an exciting future for the Knights, too! Only two (or potentially three) of this year's juniors look set to play big roles next year, meaning that the freshmen and sophomores who gained a lot of experience this year will be forming the backbone of next year's team. This sets CarlEton up well for two years of cohesion, allowing the team to grow together over multiple seasons. Even if the ball didn't roll the Knights' way this year, an eleventh straight top-4 finish shows that the kids are alright on the East side of NoFo (can't say the same about our friends across the river).

Meanwhile the final between MAC and UST looks to be a great game. The two most consistent and talented teams meet in the final, just as it should be. Looking for MAC to come out flying and not allow the Tommies to settle into a passing rhythm. 2-1 Scots

Wisco21

Why is the E capitalized in Carleton?

KICKIN95

Quote from: Wisco21 on November 03, 2016, 04:28:32 PM
Why is the E capitalized in Carleton?
That is something that goes back about 7 years (maybe more).  I can't remember who exactly was the originator may have been double deuce, Garbagegoal, or someone from that time frame.  But from what I recall it was a Carly supporter who made one too many comments about Carleton being misspelled (leaving out the "e") by people on the site, so in the gamesmanship style that it was back then the "E" became the emphasis and was pointed out early an often, much to the dislike of the initial plaintiff.  I vaguely remember the whole thing, but it obviously stuck.
Master of all things "DuHawk"

dontshootthegoose

St. Thomas with the 1-0 result, Macalester maybe on the outside looking in when the selection is announced on Monday.

CarlEtonDad

Too bad for Mac. Always difficult want to team puts together that nice of season but comes up  just short. You have to question the committee choosing the Dubuque over Loras and Mac.  Makes you think that they do not consider margin of victory to be important as dubuque has  A few big losses on their resume. In the end, there was just nothing signature about Mac's season and one different result could've changed everything.  Best of luck to the Tommies who finally put it together this year!