FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjusection105

Quote from: DuffMan on January 16, 2013, 03:37:03 PM
In-n-Out was what I expected.  Burger was decent.  The shake was great. The fries kind of sucked.  Nothing special, but it felt good to ask for it animal style and not get slapped.  Sipping on a Lakewood Lager now...it's pretty decent.
Did you get a T-shirt?
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

bennie

Quote from: finsleft on January 16, 2013, 06:52:13 PM
Quote from: AO on January 15, 2013, 06:50:03 PM

This recruiting scandal is in desperate need of some facts.  What exactly were the kids told?  Was there actual lying?

Agreed. I like to pound on Tommies as much as the next guy. But I've seen more evidence of Te'o's GF than of the Tom's Italian stallion pulling the rug out from under any unsuspecting freshmen.
Yeah, but if you make a verbal commitment to someone and then change your mind because a newer, shinier option becomes available, that's kind of smarmy! Yeah, Chip Kelly, I am talking to you! >:(
High sticking, tripping, slashing, spearing, charging, hooking, fighting, unsportsmanlike conduct, interference, roughing... everything else is just figure skating.  ~Author Unknown

OzJohnnie

Quote from: bennie on January 16, 2013, 09:13:54 PM
Quote from: finsleft on January 16, 2013, 06:52:13 PM
Quote from: AO on January 15, 2013, 06:50:03 PM

This recruiting scandal is in desperate need of some facts.  What exactly were the kids told?  Was there actual lying?

Agreed. I like to pound on Tommies as much as the next guy. But I've seen more evidence of Te'o's GF than of the Tom's Italian stallion pulling the rug out from under any unsuspecting freshmen.
Yeah, but if you make a verbal commitment to someone and then change your mind because a newer, shinier option becomes available, that's kind of smarmy! Yeah, Chip Kelly, I am talking to you! >:(

I want to believe. So much. But I'm with fins. Hazzbeen is a pretty level headed fellow and he told quite a convincing story, but I'm not ready to swallow this story. I need to manufacture some evidence first and them I'm good.
[  

Mr.MIAC

Don't get me wrong...I think SJU is a quaint little institution that should be preserved.  In this way I'm sort of like those who wanted to maintain the buggy industry with the advent of the automobile.  That being said, it's sad that with the slide of SJU, especially in football, the faithful are flailing—looking for every external factor that might explain their woes.  Perhaps instead of creating conspiracy theories about UST recruiting practices they should look at why what they're selling isn't appealing to many of the best athletes and academics.   

Edit: Oz seems pretty level headed on this topic.

bennie

Last time I checked Hazzben is a Bethel supporter. Just sayin'! :P
High sticking, tripping, slashing, spearing, charging, hooking, fighting, unsportsmanlike conduct, interference, roughing... everything else is just figure skating.  ~Author Unknown

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Mr.MIAC on January 16, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
Don't get me wrong...I think SJU is a quaint little institution that should be preserved.  In this way I'm sort of like those who wanted to maintain the buggy industry with the advent of the automobile.  That being said, it's sad that with the slide of SJU, especially in football, the faithful are flailing—looking for every external factor that might explain their woes.  Perhaps instead of creating conspiracy theories about UST recruiting practices they should look at why what they're selling isn't appealing to many of the best athletes and academics.   

Edit: Oz seems pretty level headed on this topic.

I'm level headed on every topic. It's your balance that is finally leveled out here.  ;)
[  

retagent

Quote from: DuffMan on January 16, 2013, 03:37:03 PM
In-n-Out was what I expected.  Burger was decent.  The shake was great. The fries kind of sucked.  Nothing special, but it felt good to ask for it animal style and not get slapped.  Sipping on a Lakewood Lager now...it's pretty decent.

As I advised - you came to pretty much the same conclusion.

I rarely smite, but with Mr MIAC, - it was so smiteworthy, I may do it again tomorrow.

bennie. I will not get the "Package", but only because I doubt it would be worth the cost. Look at all the games being aired on NBC, NBCSN, and the NHL Network. You gots to weigh the cost/benefit thingy. Just get the info before you leap. I'm not going to "boycott." It does me no good. I worry about all the ancillary businesses suffering for what the millionaires did. (No I haven't gone to the Loony Left)

Johnnie Red

Saw in the Star Tribune this morning that a former Johnnie football player, Denis McDonough, will be elevated to the White House chief of staff by President Obama. Denis is a native of Stillwater. This could be the connection we have been looking for to get President Obama up to a Johnnie game this fall and to join us at the Stiftungsfestivities! Now if we could only find a connection to Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton! 8-)

faunch

Quote from: Johnnie Red on January 17, 2013, 11:10:24 AM
Saw in the Star Tribune this morning that a former Johnnie football player, Denis McDonough, will be elevated to the White House chief of staff by President Obama. Denis is a native of Stillwater. This could be the connection we have been looking for to get President Obama up to a Johnnie game this fall and to join us at the Stiftungsfestivities! Now if we could only find a connection to Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton! 8-)

Imagine the traffic jam into Collegeville for that one.  :o
This Denis could get the alumni apartment for the first family for a night? ;D

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

DoubleO

You can have him. Won't get political more than to say I miss the best Johnnie I've ever known, Tom Roeser. RIP!

Johnnie

Quote from: DoubleO on January 17, 2013, 01:18:56 PM

You can have him. Won't get political more than to say I miss the best Johnnie I've ever known, Tom Roeser. RIP!

for those not familiar with Tom Roeser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Roeser

OzJohnnie

Duff; next burger trip... Sydney?

Some joint up there has just started selling the "Coat of Arms" burger, also called the kangemu.  It's made from kangaroo and emu, both of which are on the Aussie coat of arms.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/kangemu-burger-some-just-love-the-taste-but-others-go-hopping-mad/story-fneuz8zj-1226556148786
[  

retagent

MIAC gets the smite, Double O gets the applaud.

OzJohnnie

I just sent someone an email that pretty well summarizes my position on Caruso-gate:

I suspect this really isn't that outrageous in the end. If he's actually promising spots and then pulling the rug, well that's no good.  But the way kids are raised now days, they have massively inflated egos and vastly over estimate their value. When they hit a competitive situation and don't cut it, they tend to look for external excuses rather than facing the music. And parents aren't helping much in that area either with all the self esteem support etc. If there is one thing the current generation of kids lack, it sure isn't high self esteem.

So, amazingly, I'm not that fussed by this practice.  If it turns out that Caruso is flat out lying and misleading well that's pretty rotten. Just telling kids they don't cut it when they don't. I won't knock that.

And with that, time to get organized for Sea World.  It's the last day of theme parks. Thank God.
[  

sjusection105

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 17, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
Duff; next burger trip... Sydney?

Some joint up there has just started selling the "Coat of Arms" burger, also called the kangemu.  It's made from kangaroo and emu, both of which are on the Aussie coat of arms.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/kangemu-burger-some-just-love-the-taste-but-others-go-hopping-mad/story-fneuz8zj-1226556148786

Duff-
From the menu at Boulder Tap House in St. Cloud:

Hamburger Hot Dog

An all beef hot dog wrap in fresh angus hamburger, topped with banana peppers, black bean chili, Burger Co. sauce, and nacho cheese.

This place is a dream come true....... :P
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!