FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks88, D3Navy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

cush

I think the SAA would accept or should accept berea if they move to d3 but the only concern would be if they need to jump to 10 school's for a travel partner. 10 works best and makes it cheaper to run the conference. As for Financial AID, i think berea only accepts students from a limited pool.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cush on July 11, 2013, 08:56:17 AM
I think the SAA would accept or should accept berea if they move to d3 but the only concern would be if they need to jump to 10 school's for a travel partner. 10 works best and makes it cheaper to run the conference. As for Financial AID, i think berea only accepts students from a limited pool.
As I understand Berea's financial aid program, athletes are treated no differently from non-athlete students.

That would be the pertinent question.

jknezek

Congrats to Centre who today announced a $250 million gift to their endownment for scholarships. It more than doubles the college's current endowment and is supposed to lead to at least 160 ongoing (40 per year) full merit based scholarships on campus. While not exactly a football or D3 sports issue, it is always nice to see one of the member institutions receive this kind of support.

D3MAFAN

How long do you think it is going to take for teams such as Berry and Hendrix to start making some noise withing the Division III landscape? With all the talent down south, I think it may be sooner than later.

jknezek

Quote from: D3MAFAN on August 14, 2013, 01:29:57 PM
How long do you think it is going to take for teams such as Berry and Hendrix to start making some noise withing the Division III landscape? With all the talent down south, I think it may be sooner than later.

It will depend as much on their institutional will, athletic department, and coaching staff as it does on the available talent.

Ron Boerger

While raw numbers won't predict the future with 100% accuracy, they're worth looking at:

Berry:  110 on roster, 106 freshmen and four sophs.
Hendrix:  53 on roster, 44 freshmen, 4 redshirt freshmen (??), 3 soph, 1 junior
Southwestern (SCAC school also in first season):  102 on roster, 98 freshmen and 4 sophs

Football at HX was not the slam dunk it seems to have been at Berry and SW and the numbers may tell a part of that story.

These programs can't support 400 players in the long run so it will be interesting to see what retention is like next year.  I imagine the coaches will be a little more selective in their recruiting going forward now that they have established this core.

awadelewis

Quote from: D3MAFAN on August 14, 2013, 01:29:57 PM

Wouldn't surprise me to see Berry do quite well early on.  Coach Kunczewski and his staff appear to have done well in bringing in talent from what is a pretty talent-rich landscape from around the N. Atlanta area.    Certainly think they'll be competitive in the league once  this first group of kids become upperclassmen.

awadelewis

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 14, 2013, 03:09:42 PM

These programs can't support 400 players in the long run so it will be interesting to see what retention is like next year.  I imagine the coaches will be a little more selective in their recruiting going forward now that they have established this core.

Good question, esp. given that only example in recent SCAC/SAA history that I can think of for comparison purposes is B-SC.  Big difference there is that both Berry and Hendrix brought in coaching staffs that had some history of working with D3 programs.   Would be interesting to hear from some of the folks that follow the national D3 scene as to what has occurred with startup programs outside the SCAC or SAA.

ADL70

Probably the most consistently successful new program is UMHB, which started football in 1998 and went 9-1 in 2000 and has claimed at least a share of the ASC title every year since.

http://www.d3football.com/teams/Mary_Hardin-Baylor/2013/index
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ADL70 on August 15, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
Probably the most consistently successful new program is UMHB, which started football in 1998 and went 9-1 in 2000 and has claimed at least a share of the ASC title every year since.

But ETBU was tri-champs and made the playoffs in its 4th season and has not been close to that since.

Huntingdon has had more success than LaGrange, but both have made the post-season.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 15, 2013, 02:24:35 PM

But ETBU was tri-champs and made the playoffs in its 4th season and has not been close to that since.

Huntingdon has had more success than LaGrange, but both have made the post-season.

Yeah that SLIAC was pretty tough... ::)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: D3MAFAN on August 15, 2013, 03:30:30 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 15, 2013, 02:24:35 PM

Yeah that SLIAC was pretty tough... ::)
Especially the road trips... ;)