CAC 2019

Started by Ejay, July 19, 2018, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejay

I don't know the history of Stevens in the Landamrk, but I assume there' some bad blood?  From an academic standpoint, Stevens to the Freedom makes no sense, regardless of them all being private institutions.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: EB2319 on August 21, 2018, 03:50:16 PM
I don't know the history of Stevens in the Landamrk, but I assume there' some bad blood?  From an academic standpoint, Stevens to the Freedom makes no sense, regardless of them all being private institutions.

Well to be honest... Stevens is a tough fit in a LOT of conferences ... they just don't have a lot of choices. But I don't think they are a stretch too much from the Freedom - again, on paper looks different than reality. All conferences have their extremes to some extent, even the UAA. FDU Florham, DeSales, and others are closer to Stevens if the direction you are referring. Maybe they don't seem to fit a Wilkes or DVU, but I have also found that sometimes I discover schools like a Wilkes are far grander academically than I even knew in the past. But, I don't want to speak for schools too much.

Their history in the Landmark is simple: they were a founding member along with Catholic, Drew, Goucher, Juniata, Moravian, Susquehanna, and USMMA. The conference formed and suddenly Stevens left. There are stories out there, I cannot share what I know (sorry). Then suddenly they were in the Empire 8... the Landmark then invited Scranton to round out the eight.

I remember it as the Landmark formed, Stevens was suddenly out just days later, and 24 hours after leaving was in the Empire 8 ... but my memory of the timing has gotten fuzzy.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TwoLeftFeet

Just heard that York is leaving the CAC for the MAC-Commonwealth, beginning in 2020-21.  Although I expected this, it's still a big ouch.  Anyone aware of any other potential transfers in or out, or could this be the final nail in the coffin for the CAC?

https://ycp.prestosports.com/sports/generalreleases/York_MAC_Announcement

Ejay

The CAC was already losing AQ status when PSU-Harrisburg and Frostburg announced they were leaving after this year.  With York bolting, that leaves 5 schools. I'm most interested to see what happens to CNU and UMW, both traditionally very good programs.  Also curious to see if this shakes up the MAC, with some teams moving from the Commonwealth into the Freedom.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

To be clear ... the CAC won't lose that AQ for two seasons of membership below seven. They will have the AQ for 2019 and 2020 at the very least.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Christan Shirk

SOUTH ATLANTIC REGION - NCAA REGIONAL RANKINGS - October 30, 2019

Rank

School
. Div. III .
Record
. Div. III .
SOS

. R-v-R .
. Overall .
Record
. Prev. .
Rank
Washington and Lee
11-2-3
3-1-2
11-2-3
Christopher Newport
11-2-3
3-2-2
11-2-3
Mary Washington
11-3-3
2-2-2
11-3-3
Roanoke
11-1-3
1-0-2
12-1-3
Oglethorpe
12-3-0
2-2-0
12-3-0
Centre
13-3-1
3-3-0
13-3-1
Ramapo
10-1-5
1-0-2
10-1-5
--
Rowan
8-4-3
2-0-2
8-4-3
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

TwoLeftFeet

Both Southern Virginia University (SVU) and St. Mary's College of Maryland (SMCM) left the CAC this week.  SVU is heading to USA South and SMCM is heading to North Eastern (NEAC), both in fall 2021.  That leaves only Christopher Newport (CNU), Mary Washington (UMW), and Salisbury, and would appear to be the final nail in the coffin for the CAC.

Though they likely would have preferred full membership in the ODAC, I suspect this is still a positive for SVU who have long wanted out of the CAC, and USA South doesn't look much worse than the CAC from a geographic standpoint, plus they now have football in their primary conference.  It looks like a less than optimal compromise for SMCM, as they are a geographic outlier from most of the league, save Gallaudet.  I suppose they can schedule Wells and SUNY-Morrisville in one trip, and likewise northern teams could schedule Gallaudet and SMCM in one trip, though it would mean playing on consecutive days.  Regardless, they are looking at a lot more travel than they had in the CAC.  They also appear to be moving from one unstable conference to another, as NEAC is shedding four schools next year.  On the plus side, SMCM men's soccer may finally get an NCAA bid in the coming years, as at least over the last few years they have been more competitive than most, if not all of the NEAC teams.  It didn't help SMCM's cause being public, despite being a very small LAC.  I don't believe the Landmark or MAC allow publics.  The Centennial would probably have been their best fit academically and geographically, but their membership is both full and stable (they haven't added a full member since 1992).

Anyone have any ideas where this leaves CNU, UMW and Salisbury?  Again, all three are public universities.  Will they up their financial and student-athlete commitments towards NCAA D1 or D2?  I don't know that there are a lot of options with D2 conferences in their area.  There have been rumors circulating the last couple years of CNU moving to D1, though that may have been mostly wishful thinking on the part of their league competitors.  There certainly is precedent with other smallish VA public universities like Longwood and W&M being D1.  Likewise, I could see Salisbury moving to D1 or D2.  They appear to have the facilities and there is precedent in the state with schools like Frostburg and Bowie State being D2, and the somewhat larger UMBC and Towson being D1.  They should at least be middling competitive in lacrosse, given their history in D3.  UMW is not much smaller than CNU, though not sure that they would want to move out of D3 as they bill themselves as a LAC and don't have a football team.  I believe ODAC also excludes publics, so their D3 options seem pretty thin outside of USA South.

Ejay

Wow. I hadn't heard any whispers about CNU moving to D1 - that would be interesting.  Shame Centennial won't take publics because that would be a great fit for them, and Salisbury for that matter. Certainly a good soccer conference and it would be better travel for both football teams which currently play in the NJAC.

TwoLeftFeet

Quote from: EB2319 on December 13, 2019, 03:03:08 PM
Wow. I hadn't heard any whispers about CNU moving to D1 - that would be interesting.  Shame Centennial won't take publics because that would be a great fit for them, and Salisbury for that matter. Certainly a good soccer conference and it would be better travel for both football teams which currently play in the NJAC.
It's been over a year since I looked into it, but I don't recall the Centennial explicitly forbidding publics.  That being said, they are all private schools, and with the exception of Hopkins, all small LACs.  As I mentioned, they haven't taken in a new full member in over 25 years, so it would appear they are not really interested in new members.  I have no idea how hard St. Mary's tried to get in, but as a small LAC with only 1,600 students they are a close match to the Centennial academically.  I could see travel being a issue though.  Then again, if Centennial is looking to add football programs, then maybe Salisbury and CNU have a shot, though again I think a lot of Centennial schools would balk at the travel distance, especially to CNU.

jknezek

Centennial has no need for more football schools. They only have one ooc game now.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

As one who has been covering the conference movements in this region (and nationally) for quite some time ... extensively ... I can tell you at this time there are no DII or D1 plans by any of the institutions.

First, there is NO process in place for a school to jump from DIII to DI. There is one being put together to be considered and voted on in January (at the NCAA Convention). The impetus being St. Thomas in Minnesota who was shoved out of the MIAC. However, there is no indication right now whether DI will approve such a leap from DIII to DI simply because the demands are so great with such a jump (normally a minimum of five years on DII is needed; really 10 years as I have understood the process and expectations). And if the process were approved, there is no guarantee St. Thomas will fit what DI is looking for (though, one would assume the two votes would be linked in someway). If the vote is approved in mid-January, St. Thomas will still not know until late February or as late as April on whether they have been approved to make the jump.

I am sure CNU is watching the process. If there is one school of the three that might be interested in what happens to St. Thomas, it would be CNU. That doesn't mean it would happen, but Salisbury and Mary Washington are in no position to make that move. And even if CNU was interested, it doesn't mean they are ready to make such an investment - and it is a major investment. They would need a conference to invite them as well. I am sure a conference could be found, but that is a requirement.

I know for a fact Salisbury is not looking to DII. As noted, it is no-man's land for these three schools in DII. I am quite sure Mary Wash isn't looking, either. I am not sure where the money would come for such a move, either.

There are some options, though there are not many I know of. The CAC will work on this, but they could become a transitional conference. Keep their core group, but have others transition in and out for varying reasons. It may still not allow for an AQ, but if there is a conference that doesn't necessarily need the AQ, it is the CAC. The Pool B bids could get gobbled up by the conference, for the most part, in nearly every sport by the CAC.

But let's slow down on the idea of going D1. There are far too many things keeping that from happening than what would allow it to happen ... or allow it to become realistic at this point.

Ejay

Any news on the future of the future of the CAC, or those remaining in the conference? I realize 2021 is the death knell, but certainly there must be some conversations happening?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

As I reported on Hoopsville, my sources say the CAC and ACAA agreed to a merger during the NCAA Convention. Could begin as soon as next academic year (20-21), but I don't know the details outside of that.

Considering my report was nearly two weeks ago and no one has told me I'm wrong ...

jknezek

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 04, 2020, 03:00:10 PM
As I reported on Hoopsville, my sources say the CAC and ACAA agreed to a merger during the NCAA Convention. Could begin as soon as next academic year (20-21), but I don't know the details outside of that.

Considering my report was nearly two weeks ago and no one has told me I'm wrong ...

I think that concept is just so ugly we are all choosing to ignore it...

Ejay

ACAA? So you would have Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Michigan, California?  And the schools want this?