WBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by purple puff, February 22, 2005, 05:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdean

Dball, my guess is MUC and Cap both lost their concen-tration in each 2H because they were concerned with the Mount football team losing its lead.  OK, maybe not.

brutus

Any idea what happened to Giffin at Marietta, and who they'll be looking for on a permanent basis?

jdean

I see Friedrich broke a 61 tie with a 3 to give the lady Raiders a win over the Berg. After the last couple years the Mount fans have to be overjoyed that Coach Venet has been able to turn the program around so quickly.

newcardinal

JD

Do you hate Cap enough not to vote for KM to the 25th Anniversary team?

jdean

Newcard:
Its easy to take pokes at Cap--such an easy target. If a non-Cap can vote online, tell me where to go and she'll be the only one to get my vote. There were some good players in the OAC but she was the only one I looked forward to watching. Yea, she'd get my vote.

Another player from that era, Suzy Venet, is having alot of success as a 1st year head coach at Mount. The transfor-mation of this program in such a short time has been fun to watch. They beat Marietta tonight by 30. Maybe there could be a 25 yr OAC team, with Suzy at guard and Kendra at Fwd?

newcardinal

JDean

The web site is www.ncaasports.com There is a block for 25th anniversary team, then dIII basketball or you can get the information on the D3 hoops front page that links the actual voting page.  At least that is where I saw it last.

I believe there are three Cap players, one Wilmington player and of course the Cap coach nominated. From what I have read ther are 26 players nominated and five will make the team.

Hope Mount gets that 7ft foreign player soon. Unfortunately, Susie may not know how to coach her, but she would know how to get he the ball.

Take care.

jdean

OK, Kendra got my vote. I'll go back every day if the site allows. As for Dixie, that's a step too far for me but I wish her good luck.

seventiesraider

How the Lady Raiders fare against Wilmington today should tell a lot about how far they have come. It would be a tough road win. Suzy is really doing a great job and they are worth watching.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

x3x4bsb

I will attempt to share these thoughts without offending anyone, but I know that is rarely possible.  I cannot believe that so much attention is paid to the Captial Crusaders in this year's rankings so far.  There are two teams who in the last decade have been the class of the OAC and deserve recognition and accolades.  They are Wilmington and B-W.  Capital has a fine program and an excellent coach, but facts are facts.  They were the elite for many years, but times ahve changed.  Cap is a very good program but by any standards pale in comparison to the national title captured by the Quakers and the consistent domination in conference of the Yellow Jackets.  Lo and behold, this week Capital is ranked above B-W who beat them soundly in Bexley earlier this season.  The Jackets' losses are to a Top Four Scranton team narrowly and a exceptional Wheeling Jesuit club.  Yet, B-W remains in the shadow of a over-rated Crusader.  The Quakers are the second best team (and program) in the conference also and proved it in Bexley tonight.  Its about time the nation (and its voters i the polls) realize that the class and power in the OAC belongs in Berea and Wilmington NOT in Bexley.  Use your heads and the facts instead of living in the past.

seventiesraider

Two losses by a total of eight points is hardly reason to bury the "Dixie Chicks." Overrated, perhaps, but still damn good

jdean

BURY the Dixie chicks.

x3x repeated what I've said too many times. Cap has a nice program and goes thru the motions to impress people but when its time to prove their worth, Wilm and BW are the class of this league. I for one could care less about polls, b-ball or f-ball. They're just opinions of people who haven't seen the majority of the schools that they're voting on. Its better than the magic eight ball--marginally.

Speaking of magic, if I haven't said this two dozen times before I'll say it now--I love Suzy Venet. OK, basketball might have influenced that declaration a little. The difference between last years ragtag gang and this years
small machine is amazing. She deserves to be coach of the year for the job she's done. Suzy's passion for the game is rubbing off on the players. Give her a couple recruiting years--that 7 ft Chinese girl is coming Suzy--and she'll have her team beating the men (as if that was an accomplishment). Marry me Suzy.

newcardinal

jdean

Thanks for the vote for KM.  Looks like Cap is still having trouble with BW and the Quakers.

Does BW still pick in the post to free up the layups?

If Cap could set screens like them, they would go undefeated.

I see you are still recruting from overseas.

Thanks again

Crusaderwomen now New Cardinal

seventiesraider

Suzy Venet was the greatest women player we've had in recent memory. No reason she shouldn't be the greatest coach as well. They really impressed and improved as the year has gone on.

FWIW-I know my late brother-Raider66-would rival you JDean as the chief Venet fan. He would be really pleased Suzy came home.

jdean

Some days are like that. Your shots don't drop, theirs do; you get no breaks, they do; the ball bounces their way, not yours. All teams meet the dog days sooner or later. Last year every game seemed like a dog day. Today was the first one I've seen for the 2005/05 lady Raiders.
But there is something about luck---good teams make their own luck. They dig deeper, find a second breath, go the extra mile--they find a way.
Today was a day Mount didn't have "it". But the last 4 minutes, when their backs were to the wall, the Raiders
played like one the predecessors from the 90's. A couple steals, a couple 3's, some well timed whistles and the game
was back in the W column. Believe ladies, believe.

x3x4bsb

The Capital people can be defensive but facts are facts over the last decade.  I see B-W took the measure of the other champion in OAC women's hoops, Wilmington, today.  The Quakes have the Crusaders number so guess it will have to be B-W and Wilmington in the title game once again in Berea in late February.