FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dice Mafia

Uh oh, looks like I really got under Trin4-5's feathers....  8-)

Quote from: Trin8-0 on November 13, 2019, 09:42:37 AM
Quote from: Dice Mafia on November 12, 2019, 10:04:10 PM
Pretty shocking that Hartford State ended 5-4 given their academic standards for football... I have heard from many current players recruited to Trinity and former Trinity football/basketball alums that coaches would not even ask to see their transcripts prior to verbally offering spots on the team... It has been discussed on this board in years past that Trinity should not compete in the NESCAC given that 90% of their players could not even be C bands on any other NESCAC roster... and yet this year proved that maybe they do belong (and probably should have ended with the same record as Hamilton). Trinity fans can continue to be "proud" of beating up on schools that actually demand elite level academics from their football team, but maybe the Hartford State Admissions Office stepped up their game this year. Trin8-0, you can continue to be "happy" for Wesleyan hitting their All-time win record, and "happy" for Williams being back as league title contenders, as well as for the "resurgence" of Hamilton — but funny you don't mention that this was Trinity's first 4 loss season since 2001. The Whalen mafia and DiCenzo mafia have not had 4 losses in a season since their first recruiting class became sophomores (they went 3-5 in 2011 during that class' freshman year). It's great to live in a world where DICE will not touch 4 losses ever again, and Hartford State will be at risk for 4 losses every year from now on with the new balance of the NESCAC— could see them losing against Wes, Williams, Midd, Amherst, and Tufts in many of the years ahead... you should change your name to Trin4-5.
Wow, it's a little disappointing that Wesleyan can have such a great season and yet their posters are still obsessed with Trinity. I guess that happens when you only have one measly tri-championship to tout over the past twenty years, while Trinity has NINE NESCAC titles. Your claims about offing spots without looking at transcripts is absurd along with the rest of your ramblings.

The Whalen mafia and DiCenzo mafia have not had 4 losses in a season since their first recruiting class became sophomores (they went 3-5 in 2011 during that class' freshman year). It's great to live in a world where DICE will not touch 4 losses ever again
Umm... Wes finished with four losses LAST SEASON. It's also worth noting that the while Cards finished 5-3 in 2015 they didn't play Tufts who finished 6-2. I'd caution your boasts that Wesleyan will never again see four losses following a season where FIVE of their wins were one score games, and they're just one year removed from a four loss finish.

Trin8-0, you can continue to be "happy" for Wesleyan hitting their All-time win record, and "happy" for Williams being back as league title contenders, as well as for the "resurgence" of Hamilton — but funny you don't mention that this was Trinity's first 4 loss season since 2001.
While I did congratulate Middlebury on their championship I didn't say I was happy for Williams, Wesleyan, or Hamilton. I did however mentioned that Trinity had four losses twice in my post:
Quote from: Trin8-0 on November 12, 2019, 12:59:48 PM
the prohibitive preseason favorite, Trinity, finishing with four losses

It's just the fourth time Trinity has had four or more losses since 1980.

It has been discussed on this board in years past that Trinity should not compete in the NESCAC
The only person to spew this nonsense is Nescacman. I'm only about 30% sure this isn't Dave just posting under a different name so I'll hold off on worrying for now. ::)

Nescacman

Quote from: Trin8-0 on November 13, 2019, 09:42:37 AM
Pretty shocking that Hartford State ended 5-4 given their academic standards for football... I have heard from many current players recruited to Trinity and former Trinity football/basketball alums that coaches would not even ask to see their transcripts prior to verbally offering spots on the team... It has been discussed on this board in years past that Trinity should not compete in the NESCAC given that 90% of their players could not even be C bands on any other NESCAC roster... and yet this year proved that maybe they do belong (and probably should have ended with the same record as Hamilton). Trinity fans can continue to be "proud" of beating up on schools that actually demand elite level academics from their football team, but maybe the Hartford State Admissions Office stepped up their game this year. Trin8-0, you can continue to be "happy" for Wesleyan hitting their All-time win record, and "happy" for Williams being back as league title contenders, as well as for the "resurgence" of Hamilton — but funny you don't mention that this was Trinity's first 4 loss season since 2001. The Whalen mafia and DiCenzo mafia have not had 4 losses in a season since their first recruiting class became sophomores (they went 3-5 in 2011 during that class' freshman year). It's great to live in a world where DICE will not touch 4 losses ever again, and Hartford State will be at risk for 4 losses every year from now on with the new balance of the NESCAC— could see them losing against Wes, Williams, Midd, Amherst, and Tufts in many of the years ahead... you should change your name to Trin4-5.
Wow, it's a little disappointing that Wesleyan can have such a great season and yet their posters are still obsessed with Trinity. I guess that happens when you only have one measly tri-championship to tout over the past twenty years, while Trinity has NINE NESCAC titles. Your claims about offing spots without looking at transcripts is absurd along with the rest of your ramblings.

The Whalen mafia and DiCenzo mafia have not had 4 losses in a season since their first recruiting class became sophomores (they went 3-5 in 2011 during that class' freshman year). It's great to live in a world where DICE will not touch 4 losses ever again
Umm... Wes finished with four losses LAST SEASON. It's also worth noting that the while Cards finished 5-3 in 2015 they didn't play Tufts who finished 6-2. I'd caution your boasts that Wesleyan will never again see four losses following a season where FIVE of their wins were one score games, and they're just one year removed from a four loss finish.

Trin8-0, you can continue to be "happy" for Wesleyan hitting their All-time win record, and "happy" for Williams being back as league title contenders, as well as for the "resurgence" of Hamilton — but funny you don't mention that this was Trinity's first 4 loss season since 2001.
While I did congratulate Middlebury on their championship I didn't say I was happy for Williams, Wesleyan, or Hamilton. I did however mentioned that Trinity had four losses twice in my post:
Quote from: Trin8-0 on November 12, 2019, 12:59:48 PM
the prohibitive preseason favorite, Trinity, finishing with four losses

It's just the fourth time Trinity has had four or more losses since 1980.

It has been discussed on this board in years past that Trinity should not compete in the NESCAC
The only person to spew this nonsense is Nescacman. I'm only about 30% sure this isn't Dave just posting under a different name so I'll hold off on worrying for now. ::)

Come on Hs5-4...haven't you observed the kinder gentler NESCACMAN in recent weeks...you know better than that....check with your masters at Wesleyan....they know who the mysterious (minister) poster is...

bhm390

So sad that Wesleyan has a terrific season, yet the first thing their posters do is attack a middle of the pack Trinity team. Unfortunate for coach Dice that his name has to be attached to that. Celebrate your own players!

nescac1

So, all-NESCAC is about to come out, and this is the most interesting group of races in recent memory.  Other than ROY and COY (Ritter), hard to see an obvious choice.

OPOY candidates are Jernigan, Maimaron, and Scott, that's really it.  Three excellent overall QBs on three excellent teams.  Maimaron is the best runner, Scott was the best passer, but I think Jernigan's all-around impact wins in close race because of team success, even if I think Maimaron is right now the best overall player of the three.  No running back or WR is a contender this year, after Stola's late season drop-off (much of which was due to a huge amount of defensive attention that opened things up for teammates, but still ...).  I'd say Maimaron for OPOY and Jernigan for MVP if NESCAC had those awards, but it doesn't, so Jernigan it likely will be. 

ROY Alex Maldjian is a lock.  But lots of other first-years warrant mention, including Drew Michalek of Williams narrowly edging out Nick Helbig of Wesleyan for top defensive rookie, K Mason Von Jess, and Joel Nicholas of Williams, who really came on late in the season and finished the year with an ABSURD 7.4 ypc average. 

Skill guys for all conference: Maldjian, Odom first team TBs, Vaughn and Nicholas second team TBs (although Kagan probably edges out Nicholas since he's a senior and Nicholas has three more years)

WR: absolutely loaded position this year.  Roche, Stola, O'Regan are no-brainers for first team, and Simco and Girard are no-brainers for second team.  For the last spot, I'll go with Maxwell Rye over Schofer and OJ Armstrong, but all are legit players.

TE: Cosolito is clearly the guy, although Spiezio at least made it interesting with his late-season TD explosion.  Not an impactful position league-wide. 

OL: I have no idea for other teams.  From Williams, Pat Watson, Jeremy Subjinski, and Jeff MacArthur all warrant strong consideration.  To have three of the top five runners in the league speaks for itself. 

If there is a FB spot, it's Kyle Horihan edging out Samuelson from Trinity. 

David Estevez has to be given a first-team all-purpose nod, if NESCAC does that.  But somewhere he will be recognized. 

Defense is where it gets really hard.  If you go with eight all-league LBs, this group is just crazy loaded: Holt, Gowetski, Rothmann, Apuzzi, Wesner, Huggins, Pistorious, Casagrande.  That's pretty stellar.

Defensive back, I'd say Ben Thaw, Avery Saffold, Ben Anthony are all locks for the first team.  Hartley from Midd probably snags the last spot.  Second team seems pretty wide open. 

Defensive line, Nenadovic, Helbig, Martin Williams, Joe Kelly (despite missing so much time, just too impactful) seem like a pretty solid first-team group, but DL is not as loaded as it in many other seasons. 

DPOY, I have no idea.  Gowetski's stats are insane but Bowdoin was terrible and he benefited from the (ultimately unsuccessful) system which just let guys totally sell out going for plays in the offensive backfield.  The two Midd LBs are worthy but cancel each other out a bit.  Apuzzi and Anthony both can make strong cases for Williams due to big-play impact, but again cancel each other out.  Kelly missed too much time.  Saffold or Thaw would both be solid choices.  Really, I have no clue. 

Craziest thing about all this: how few Trinity guys I've mentioned.  Usually, the Bantams have around a dozen guys.  This year, they didn't have many individual stand-outs, despite still having loads of talent on both sides of the ball ...

Nescacman

We expect the All-NESCAC teams, as well the league's POTY to be posted shortly...we won't ruin the surprise for anyone, however, we will drop a subtle hint that we were outvoted on our selections, although we feel both the actual winners and our winners were all deserving...there will be some surprises when they are announced...congradulations to the student-athletes that were selected as POTY and those that were selected to all-NESCAC teams....well deserved...and while we are at it, congratulations on a great 2019 season to all of the players (starters and reserves) and other students that were part of their respective school's football programs!!!!

Nescacman

Quote from: nescac1 on November 14, 2019, 11:44:06 AM
So, all-NESCAC is about to come out, and this is the most interesting group of races in recent memory.  Other than ROY and COY (Ritter), hard to see an obvious choice.

OPOY candidates are Jernigan, Maimaron, and Scott, that's really it.  Three excellent overall QBs on three excellent teams.  Maimaron is the best runner, Scott was the best passer, but I think Jernigan's all-around impact wins in close race because of team success, even if I think Maimaron is right now the best overall player of the three.  No running back or WR is a contender this year, after Stola's late season drop-off (much of which was due to a huge amount of defensive attention that opened things up for teammates, but still ...).  I'd say Maimaron for OPOY and Jernigan for MVP if NESCAC had those awards, but it doesn't, so Jernigan it likely will be. 

ROY Alex Maldjian is a lock.  But lots of other first-years warrant mention, including Drew Michalek of Williams narrowly edging out Nick Helbig of Wesleyan for top defensive rookie, K Mason Von Jess, and Joel Nicholas of Williams, who really came on late in the season and finished the year with an ABSURD 7.4 ypc average. 

Skill guys for all conference: Maldjian, Odom first team TBs, Vaughn and Nicholas second team TBs (although Kagan probably edges out Nicholas since he's a senior and Nicholas has three more years)

WR: absolutely loaded position this year.  Roche, Stola, O'Regan are no-brainers for first team, and Simco and Girard are no-brainers for second team.  For the last spot, I'll go with Maxwell Rye over Schofer and OJ Armstrong, but all are legit players.

TE: Cosolito is clearly the guy, although Spiezio at least made it interesting with his late-season TD explosion.  Not an impactful position league-wide. 

OL: I have no idea for other teams.  From Williams, Pat Watson, Jeremy Subjinski, and Jeff MacArthur all warrant strong consideration.  To have three of the top five runners in the league speaks for itself. 

If there is a FB spot, it's Kyle Horihan edging out Samuelson from Trinity. 

David Estevez has to be given a first-team all-purpose nod, if NESCAC does that.  But somewhere he will be recognized. 

Defense is where it gets really hard.  If you go with eight all-league LBs, this group is just crazy loaded: Holt, Gowetski, Rothmann, Apuzzi, Wesner, Huggins, Pistorious, Casagrande.  That's pretty stellar.

Defensive back, I'd say Ben Thaw, Avery Saffold, Ben Anthony are all locks for the first team.  Hartley from Midd probably snags the last spot.  Second team seems pretty wide open. 

Defensive line, Nenadovic, Helbig, Martin Williams, Joe Kelly (despite missing so much time, just too impactful) seem like a pretty solid first-team group, but DL is not as loaded as it in many other seasons. 

DPOY, I have no idea.  Gowetski's stats are insane but Bowdoin was terrible and he benefited from the (ultimately unsuccessful) system which just let guys totally sell out going for plays in the offensive backfield.  The two Midd LBs are worthy but cancel each other out a bit.  Apuzzi and Anthony both can make strong cases for Williams due to big-play impact, but again cancel each other out.  Kelly missed too much time.  Saffold or Thaw would both be solid choices.  Really, I have no clue. 

Craziest thing about all this: how few Trinity guys I've mentioned.  Usually, the Bantams have around a dozen guys.  This year, they didn't have many individual stand-outs, despite still having loads of talent on both sides of the ball ...

Nescac1, check your messages....

nescac1

Great Williams-Amherst highlights (if you're an Eph fan) posted ... game highlights start at 7:00. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiztyN3rXRo

At around 17 minutes, you can see some of the Joel Nicholas show, just a frosh, he looks like he will be a monster player for the Ephs for the next three seasons (every year in the Williams-Amherst game, one frosh seems to emerge for at least one of the two teams who ends up fitting that bill).  And he's a smart kid too, as he insisted on bringing his offensive linemen out for the post game interview :)

Great end to a strong year for the Ephs, seven dominating performances and two heartbreaking road losses in really competitive games.  With so many underclassmen making big contributions on both sides of the ball, the future is bright for the Ephs. 

Nescacman

Quote from: nescac1 on November 14, 2019, 02:39:03 PM
Great Williams-Amherst highlights (if you're an Eph fan) posted ... game highlights start at 7:00. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiztyN3rXRo

At around 17 minutes, you can see some of the Joel Nicholas show, just a frosh, he looks like he will be a monster player for the Ephs for the next three seasons (every year in the Williams-Amherst game, one frosh seems to emerge for at least one of the two teams who ends up fitting that bill).  And he's a smart kid too, as he insisted on bringing his offensive linemen out for the post game interview :)

Great end to a strong year for the Ephs, seven dominating performances and two heartbreaking road losses in really competitive games.  With so many underclassmen making big contributions on both sides of the ball, the future is bright for the Ephs.

30 mins of highlights?!? You could show the whole game in 30 mins or less if you just showed the live action...

Loved HCOF Raymond's pre-game speech....guess Wes was just a lil "tougher" the week before  ;D

Congrats on a nice season for the Ephs...feel good for the seniors who were there when the program hit rock bottom...7-2 with their only two losses coming to the two best teams in the league is very good and Eph supporters should be very proud of this team...

lumbercat

Nescacman-

Good stuff.

You gotta go with Gowetski as the best LB in the league over Holt whose stats have been exaggerated in Medford for 4 years. Holt is a first teamer but Gowetski and the Trinity LB (name escapes me) are better.
Compare Holts tackle stats in home games vs. away games if you have doubt.

Geez, this is killing me to tout Bowdoin guys but what's fair is fair. You cant overlook Nate Richman. A great back who ran behind a awful line. The kid ran the ball and his skills as a receiver out of the backfield go without notice.

Coach Hammer may not have guys like 55 and 6 for some time- I still say the Bowdoin team was the best of the 3 Maine schools in terms of talent.

I'll put in a plug for S Jon Lindgren at Bates. All conference as a junior who does it all on the football field. Stats don't tell the story of his presence on the field making plays.

Bates 310 lb LT on the O line Matt Fanagan vastly underrated.

DROY- Tony Hooks LB Bates. Great stats and great presence as a FY. He will be a force.

2nd best linebacker in Maine and one of the best in the league- Marcus Bullard- Colby

SpringSt7

Gowetski, while great no doubt, also garnered much of his numbers by way of aggressive defensive play-calling. But quite frankly, neither of those guys are in my top 2 LBs--there are probably 5 guys I'd take over Holt, and I really don't know where I'd place Gowetski just because it's so hard to judge his actual ability in that defense. But in the 60 minutes I saw him play against Williams, he was absolutely all over the field. My LBs would look like this, and I present them with minimal confidence.

First-Team: Apuzzi, Gowetski, Rothmann, Pistorius

Second-Team: Casagrande, Holt, Huggins, Wesner.

lumbercat

SpringSt

Thats a good list- Forgot Rothmann- I would include him also.

lumbercat

Lew Aquarulo Bantam DC said to be the next Coast Guard HCOF.

lumbercat

Trin9-0

Quote from: lumbercat on November 15, 2019, 06:23:11 PM
Lew Aquarulo Bantam DC said to be the next Coast Guard HCOF.
Both of the co-defensive coordinators and the offensive coordinator have been at USCGA 20+ years. It would be a major shift to bring in someone from the outside. Lew is a fantastic coach and recruiter and has been a HC finalist at several schools in the past. He would be an excellent candidate. With that said, I've worked at both schools and based on conversations I've had I'd say this rumor is premature at best.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022