Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 11, 2019, 02:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

BTW, Christan, if that was you running the d3soocer.com online scoreboard this past weekend, thanks for the shout-out. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

blue_jays

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 18, 2019, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: PaulNewman on November 18, 2019, 09:48:40 AM
Quote from: RollToms on November 17, 2019, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: RollToms on November 13, 2019, 01:37:39 PM
Not sure I fall in line with the seeming consensus that Chicago is a contender this year. I understand the legacy and recent success etc.. but looking at their record this year (11-1-5), they played out to 5 draws and a loss. That loss came to Calvin, and most of the draws (bar maybe Carthage) came against very respectable programs who are all discussed in the national perspective, so at first glance not a lot to worry about. But, this is the national tournament, so at this point you are playing programs of that high caliber almost strictly. Chicago is no exception w/ potential 2nd round matchup with winner of OWU and Hope and beyond. The seeming inability of Chicago to find that winning goal in overtime, at least in a decent # of games vs respected opponents, could come back to bite them in the tournament. As we all know, a shootout is not about who the better team is whatsoever. If Chicago gets into a penalty shootout, anything could happen.

Wow. What a weekend of soccer. Hate to be that guy that quotes his own correct prediction, but I'm going to be that guy for a sec because I want to make a point. I think many just assumed that Chicago would be a contender, because, well it's Chicago. Let this be a reminder that just because a team has legacy, does not mean that that legacy will shine through each year. I think there are some schools that people automatically assume will contend, and they largely have earned the right to have that assumption made, but remember that each year it's a new team, and that teams should be judged on what they did during the year (as is protocol for selection committee) not what they have done in years prior. Some people may not like this comment, but I think many know it's true whether or not they like it.

BTW, take nothing away from the performance of OWU and one of the best coaches in college soccer, Jay Martin. OWU looks hungry.

I think I follow your point and your caveat at the end is appreciated, but just because a team loses or is upset doesn't necessarily mean they were overrated.

This.

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 18, 2019, 09:48:40 AMI mean, come on, Chicago was undefeated (7-0-0) in one of the two top conferences in the country and DID NOT ALLOW A SINGLE GOAL.  They looked to be in decent shape versus OWU for much of the game too.  OWU has said they made some adjustments, but the game really turned once OWU scored to draw even.  That happened late enough for OWU to get a burst of momentum that led to a go-ahead goal and then Chicago just didn't have much time to respond.  I'm sure the Maroons were shell-shocked at the final whistle wondering what had just happened to them.  And it does take away from OWU's gutsy win to suggest that Chicago wasn't really that good.

This, too.

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 18, 2019, 09:48:40 AMThere rightfully is a lot of focus on Tufts and Messiah, but OWU has done this NCAA thing a couple of times....a record 41 NCAA appearances to be exact, and the Battling Bishops are unlikely to ever be eclipsed on that measure.

From your mouth to God's ear, 'cause Wheaton's in second place behind OWU with 36 appearances, and I don't like the implication for NPU of Wheaton being able to make up that five-appearances deficit. ;)

Quote from: GoThunder1 on November 18, 2019, 01:19:44 PMThe nightcap (or daycap in this case) puts the last 2 national runner-ups against each other, as Calvin takes on the home side, North Park. Obviously, NP caught a significant break with Chicago bowing out - allowing them the chance to host this Pod. However, I don't think it will change the outcome of the game, as every team is comfortable on turf (compared to having to play on grass, when you have only played on turf all year). Calvin goes as Olson/Twigg go, so it will be interesting to see the defensive tactics that Kris Grahn puts into place to minimize the impact. Similarly, North Park is at it's best when Olsen/Ericsson are allowed space in the midfield to attack. When that space is tightened up and team's play physical with them, it tends to lead to the ball being stagnant and NP becomes ineffective. I expect this game to be up and down the pitch, quite entertaining for the fans. One key factor will be the health of 2 NP players (GK-Stuhlen and F-Khoury). Khoury went down in the first half and didn't return. Stuhlen went out before OT and didn't return. The one part of the field where NP seems to lack depth is up top, so it will be critical for them that Khoury is able to go. I think it goes one of two ways, either Calvin scores early and wins big (3-0) or NP wins a 2-1 or 1-0 game. My gut is telling me the latter, so from a prediction perspective, I will take an NP win 2-1 in regular time.

This sets up a unique battle between NP and OWU, as you have a first year head coach going up against a legend. I think NP has a pace advantage, especially on the wings, and will be able to create quality scoring chances. I like NP winning this one 2-0 and heading back to Greensboro for the 2nd time in 3 years.   

... and it's stuff like that that makes me hope Wheaton never catches OWU. They keep trying to kill NPU with kindness. ;)

Seriously, though, having watched each of the three other teams in the sectional already, I think that GoThunder1's assessment is fair. Still, I like the idea of NPU staying under the radar. Aside from GoThunder1, nobody has taken the Vikings seriously yet, and that's a trend of which I approve. Yeah, a bunch of people predicted that NPU would reach the Sweet Sixteen, but I get the impression that it was more of a default pick than anything else for a lot of people who took Gustavus, Pacific Lutheran, and Colorado College even less seriously.

Here's the thing with Chicago that people seemed to forget when they were claiming "Final 4 contender" or "overrated" in the lead-up to NCAAs and then the loss: you gotta keep this all in perspective.
The Maroons lost about 75-80 percent of their goals scored from last year. They graduated the best group of players in the HISTORY of the program, including 3 All-Americans (Lopez, Koh, Capotosto). When Lopez and Koh got dinged up at points last year, the offense really bogged down and showed how dependent they were on those guys to create. Lopez played the last month of the season on an injured ankle, which really manifested in the Calvin game. They also changed their whole coaching staff, although having Flinn back made the transition smoother.
With all those factors plus the toughest SOS in the country coming into this season, I was more concerned about the Maroons even making the tournament at all. If things broke bad, they coulda been a .500 team.
There were 7 freshmen or sophomores starting regularly/semi-regularly this season, and early on it showed with the lack of results and some disappointing ties in games that they controlled for the most part (Rowan, Wheaton, Macalester). The offense could create but it struggled to finish. The defense was solid and organized.
But the North Park game is what sold me on their potential. NPU looked like a world beater in their debut and then scored a wide open goal in the opening minutes when the whole defense got caught ball watching. But as the game went on, it grew more and more one-sided and UC took advantage of their opportunities to win 3-1. That NPU is super skillful and could make a deep run again this year (I think they're better than the team that made the title game the year UC got hosed by the offsides that wasn't). And the Maroons showed that skill would not be a problem for them. Only experience.
So the fact they got a rough opening pod draw and lost to a motivated OWU side shouldn't be the shocker some claim. It surely shocked the players, who felt they were rolling at that time of the season. But the Maroons should feel pretty great about these season. They coalesced and achieved a lot faster than anyone would have predicted. No one is going to make the Final 4 every year, soccer is a fickle sport.
The future is bright for the Maroons, and they may reach those heights again. Or they may not. Everyone needs to just keep it all in perspective.

scoutteam1

Did anyone watch the JCU game? Seemed like they were contenders since they were ranked #1 in GL region.

ncac_dad

Quote from: Domino1195 on November 18, 2019, 10:27:07 AM
Kind of ironic that both UAA teams lost to NCAC teams, the turning point in both games very tough PK's.  Tried to see what happened in the OWU game - the alleged foul was far enough away from the under served ball in. Got to be more of a significant chance negated by a foul for me to whistle that one. But that seemed to change the energy in the game - UC no excuses on the second goal, got caught pressing for an equalizer on the third.

But the deciding PK in the Kenyon game - wow. #27 for UR was having a MOTM game - several Kenyon fans said the same. Second half I was stationed on the fence at the attacking end for Kenyon - oh the chances they missed! #27 loses his footing, falls chest-first on the ball, ball touches his arm. I was 10 yards away - harshest decision - still not sure it meets the current criteria for handling. But the gentlemanly way he accepted the decision - unheard of in this era. My heart goes out to him. Class act in the face of such a decision.

Amended after finding the exact passage from the IFAB changes to handling, March 2019: (page 16:  http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/791/171520_110319_IFAB_LoG_changes_and_clarifications.pdf)

"Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player's hand/arm: 
•directly from the player's own head or body (including the foot) 
•directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
•if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body"

A little late to comment on this. The foul in the OWU-CHI game was committed on #15 for OWU. From what I was told, and saw on the video, the Chicago player wrapped his right arm around the shoulder of #15 and pulled him down, and fell on top of him. I was told that the Chicago player was holding all game.

Kenyon, to their credit does not let up. The game is not over until the final whistle blows. Kenyon makes their own luck, as we have seen with many a last second or half-second goals over the last year. Respect to any team who makes their own opportunity, even if it seems like "luck" to others.

Domino1195

Quote from: scoutteam1 on November 19, 2019, 09:59:35 PM
Did anyone watch the JCU game? Seemed like they were contenders since they were ranked #1 in GL region.

Saw bits and pieces - but a good portion of it.  Two of the variables I commented on materialized in this game:  inability to score from the run of play (over-reliance on set-piece goals); and opponents being able to get behind the midfielders to run at the back four. Twice Centre was able to send through-balls past the midfield to Garuba and he created the first goal, scored the third as a result.

Towards the end of the game it was apparent how little attacking prowess they possessed. JCU will see many of the key players from this team return next year - and JCU West - St. Ignatius - won the DI State title, which has been a good source of players who don't go NCAA DI.

May be interesting to see which teams advance this weekend.  Some of the teams that made it this upcoming weekend can defend AND attack.  The "defend and wait for counters or set pieces" teams - wonder how they'll do?

GoThunder1

Quote from: blue_jays on November 19, 2019, 06:24:54 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 18, 2019, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: PaulNewman on November 18, 2019, 09:48:40 AM
Quote from: RollToms on November 17, 2019, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: RollToms on November 13, 2019, 01:37:39 PM
Not sure I fall in line with the seeming consensus that Chicago is a contender this year. I understand the legacy and recent success etc.. but looking at their record this year (11-1-5), they played out to 5 draws and a loss. That loss came to Calvin, and most of the draws (bar maybe Carthage) came against very respectable programs who are all discussed in the national perspective, so at first glance not a lot to worry about. But, this is the national tournament, so at this point you are playing programs of that high caliber almost strictly. Chicago is no exception w/ potential 2nd round matchup with winner of OWU and Hope and beyond. The seeming inability of Chicago to find that winning goal in overtime, at least in a decent # of games vs respected opponents, could come back to bite them in the tournament. As we all know, a shootout is not about who the better team is whatsoever. If Chicago gets into a penalty shootout, anything could happen.

Wow. What a weekend of soccer. Hate to be that guy that quotes his own correct prediction, but I'm going to be that guy for a sec because I want to make a point. I think many just assumed that Chicago would be a contender, because, well it's Chicago. Let this be a reminder that just because a team has legacy, does not mean that that legacy will shine through each year. I think there are some schools that people automatically assume will contend, and they largely have earned the right to have that assumption made, but remember that each year it's a new team, and that teams should be judged on what they did during the year (as is protocol for selection committee) not what they have done in years prior. Some people may not like this comment, but I think many know it's true whether or not they like it.

BTW, take nothing away from the performance of OWU and one of the best coaches in college soccer, Jay Martin. OWU looks hungry.

I think I follow your point and your caveat at the end is appreciated, but just because a team loses or is upset doesn't necessarily mean they were overrated.

This.

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 18, 2019, 09:48:40 AMI mean, come on, Chicago was undefeated (7-0-0) in one of the two top conferences in the country and DID NOT ALLOW A SINGLE GOAL.  They looked to be in decent shape versus OWU for much of the game too.  OWU has said they made some adjustments, but the game really turned once OWU scored to draw even.  That happened late enough for OWU to get a burst of momentum that led to a go-ahead goal and then Chicago just didn't have much time to respond.  I'm sure the Maroons were shell-shocked at the final whistle wondering what had just happened to them.  And it does take away from OWU's gutsy win to suggest that Chicago wasn't really that good.

This, too.

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 18, 2019, 09:48:40 AMThere rightfully is a lot of focus on Tufts and Messiah, but OWU has done this NCAA thing a couple of times....a record 41 NCAA appearances to be exact, and the Battling Bishops are unlikely to ever be eclipsed on that measure.

From your mouth to God's ear, 'cause Wheaton's in second place behind OWU with 36 appearances, and I don't like the implication for NPU of Wheaton being able to make up that five-appearances deficit. ;)

Quote from: GoThunder1 on November 18, 2019, 01:19:44 PMThe nightcap (or daycap in this case) puts the last 2 national runner-ups against each other, as Calvin takes on the home side, North Park. Obviously, NP caught a significant break with Chicago bowing out - allowing them the chance to host this Pod. However, I don't think it will change the outcome of the game, as every team is comfortable on turf (compared to having to play on grass, when you have only played on turf all year). Calvin goes as Olson/Twigg go, so it will be interesting to see the defensive tactics that Kris Grahn puts into place to minimize the impact. Similarly, North Park is at it's best when Olsen/Ericsson are allowed space in the midfield to attack. When that space is tightened up and team's play physical with them, it tends to lead to the ball being stagnant and NP becomes ineffective. I expect this game to be up and down the pitch, quite entertaining for the fans. One key factor will be the health of 2 NP players (GK-Stuhlen and F-Khoury). Khoury went down in the first half and didn't return. Stuhlen went out before OT and didn't return. The one part of the field where NP seems to lack depth is up top, so it will be critical for them that Khoury is able to go. I think it goes one of two ways, either Calvin scores early and wins big (3-0) or NP wins a 2-1 or 1-0 game. My gut is telling me the latter, so from a prediction perspective, I will take an NP win 2-1 in regular time.

This sets up a unique battle between NP and OWU, as you have a first year head coach going up against a legend. I think NP has a pace advantage, especially on the wings, and will be able to create quality scoring chances. I like NP winning this one 2-0 and heading back to Greensboro for the 2nd time in 3 years.   

... and it's stuff like that that makes me hope Wheaton never catches OWU. They keep trying to kill NPU with kindness. ;)

Seriously, though, having watched each of the three other teams in the sectional already, I think that GoThunder1's assessment is fair. Still, I like the idea of NPU staying under the radar. Aside from GoThunder1, nobody has taken the Vikings seriously yet, and that's a trend of which I approve. Yeah, a bunch of people predicted that NPU would reach the Sweet Sixteen, but I get the impression that it was more of a default pick than anything else for a lot of people who took Gustavus, Pacific Lutheran, and Colorado College even less seriously.

Here's the thing with Chicago that people seemed to forget when they were claiming "Final 4 contender" or "overrated" in the lead-up to NCAAs and then the loss: you gotta keep this all in perspective.
The Maroons lost about 75-80 percent of their goals scored from last year. They graduated the best group of players in the HISTORY of the program, including 3 All-Americans (Lopez, Koh, Capotosto). When Lopez and Koh got dinged up at points last year, the offense really bogged down and showed how dependent they were on those guys to create. Lopez played the last month of the season on an injured ankle, which really manifested in the Calvin game. They also changed their whole coaching staff, although having Flinn back made the transition smoother.
With all those factors plus the toughest SOS in the country coming into this season, I was more concerned about the Maroons even making the tournament at all. If things broke bad, they coulda been a .500 team.
There were 7 freshmen or sophomores starting regularly/semi-regularly this season, and early on it showed with the lack of results and some disappointing ties in games that they controlled for the most part (Rowan, Wheaton, Macalester). The offense could create but it struggled to finish. The defense was solid and organized.
But the North Park game is what sold me on their potential. NPU looked like a world beater in their debut and then scored a wide open goal in the opening minutes when the whole defense got caught ball watching. But as the game went on, it grew more and more one-sided and UC took advantage of their opportunities to win 3-1. That NPU is super skillful and could make a deep run again this year (I think they're better than the team that made the title game the year UC got hosed by the offsides that wasn't). And the Maroons showed that skill would not be a problem for them. Only experience.
So the fact they got a rough opening pod draw and lost to a motivated OWU side shouldn't be the shocker some claim. It surely shocked the players, who felt they were rolling at that time of the season. But the Maroons should feel pretty great about these season. They coalesced and achieved a lot faster than anyone would have predicted. No one is going to make the Final 4 every year, soccer is a fickle sport.
The future is bright for the Maroons, and they may reach those heights again. Or they may not. Everyone needs to just keep it all in perspective.

I don't disagree with this at all. In the game vs wheaton, UC really struggled in the final 3rd. Obviously, they were rock solid in the back - but once it got into the final 3rd things went stagnant. I didn't catch the UC/NP game, but based on your comments - they are similar to what occurred in the NP/WC game. NP may have the most skillful midfield in the country, but they are similar to UC in the fact that during their "bigger" games, they have seemed to struggle offensively. To be fair, they also play a 4-5-1 and have built up their attack in the midfield, so that should be noted. I agree that this NP team is more skillful than their 2017 team, however that team had a rock in the back (Ricky Pimentel), which this team lacks. Ricky (who I believe me be a coach now) is arguably one of the best CB's in conference history.

I predicted NP to win this matchup with Calvin prior to the start of the tourney, so I will stick by it - however, I can definitely see it going either way. 2 really good teams, should be a great battle.

GoThunder1

To be more clear, the "bigger" games I am referring to in my comment above are:

Rowan
UC
K'Zoo
Wheaton
Gustavus

PaulNewman

Excellent Sectional Previews per usual.

I saw on the Conn College website that this is only the 4th time ANY sports team from Conn has made a "Sweet 16."  4th Sweet 16 for the entire school.  Not sure why that surprised me given the overall dominance in athletics of several other NESCACs over the years, but at any rate that factoid tells me how big of a moment/opportunity is sitting there for Conn.  I know Swat is at home but I expect Conn to find a way to advance.  I watched most of the 2nd half of Conn-JHU and I was surprised to see how much crafty, dynamic and sustained pressure the Camels put on JHU, one of the title favorites.  Marcucci can win games almost by himself but the offensive abilities that I saw make Conn a true threat.  I am giving W&L a decent shot (maybe 30/70) to knock off Tufts, but the Jumbos likely will prevail as they are probably the most resourceful team in the country when it comes to finding various ways to win.  As I believe has been noted before, facing Tufts ever is a problem, but facing them with no prior direct experience is an even bigger problem (although playing and beating Brandeis might help a little).  Tufts is not only really good, but they have loads of confidence, expect and almost seem to feel entitled to win the next 10 NCAA titles in a row, and they are HUGE.  Keeping Braun and Rojas off the scoresheet is no easy task and most D3 teams are just not prepared for or equipped to handle everything that the Jumbos can throw at you over 90 minutes.  And then there are Tasker, Lane, van Brewer (who quietly may be one of the best midfielders in the nation), and then about 10-12 other players very capable of snaring a goal in a tight game.  Talent, D1 size, depth, belief, expectation, and desire to win again...tough to beat.  All that said, Conn DOES know Tufts as well as any other potential opponent.  They should be able to just play Tufts instead of Tufts + the Tufts' aura.  Again, Tufts will likely prevail, but I give the Camels maybe a 40/60 chance.  Ironically, I might like Conn's chances more versus Tufts than W&L.  If W&L knocked off Tufts I might favor them over Conn based on the momentum high but also maybe a small letdown from Conn exhaling too strongly about avoiding the Jumbos.

In the other previewed sectional, OWU should advance after more than surviving their Hope pod gauntlet in very impressive fashion, but the danger will be having just enough of a small letdown to allow Luther to gain an advantage.  In Great Lakes/NCAC terminology OWU needs to play like they are facing a Kenyon instead of a Wabash.  OWU needs their play, intensity and focus to keep rising as they hope to reach a date with what will be another heavyweight in either Calvin or North Park.  I have no clue what to expect with Calvin versus North Park.  Based on talent, North Park imo should have at least a 50/50 chance, but they will have to show up from the opening whistle and have a pretty flawless game to the finish.  A bit like Tufts, it's hard to think Calvin is gonna lose a match in this kind of spot.  If Calvin advances there are few teams in the country better prepared for Calvin than OWU.  I might pick OWU to nip Calvin while falling short in a close one if it's North Park.  Now watch Luther advance to the Final Four.  A very intriguing, and potentially very entertaining and dramatic sectional.

scoutteam1

Quote from: Domino1195 on November 20, 2019, 09:21:31 AM

Saw bits and pieces - but a good portion of it.  Two of the variables I commented on materialized in this game:  inability to score from the run of play (over-reliance on set-piece goals); and opponents being able to get behind the midfielders to run at the back four. Twice Centre was able to send through-balls past the midfield to Garuba and he created the first goal, scored the third as a result.

Towards the end of the game it was apparent how little attacking prowess they possessed. JCU will see many of the key players from this team return next year - and JCU West - St. Ignatius - won the DI State title, which has been a good source of players who don't go NCAA DI.

May be interesting to see which teams advance this weekend.  Some of the teams that made it this upcoming weekend can defend AND attack.  The "defend and wait for counters or set pieces" teams - wonder how they'll do?

Centre / Claremont seems to be a toss up. Do either have a chance of upsetting Kenyon, assuming the Lords advance?

MaturinNYC

Quote from: MaturinNYC on November 19, 2019, 01:03:07 AM
Quote from: TyWebb on November 18, 2019, 08:32:33 PM
Quote from: MaturinNYC on November 18, 2019, 05:39:45 PM
But i wanted to see it again in video just to ensure my partisan eyes weren't blind. And having just watched it in slow motion, that impression stands. It just simply isn't a penalty in any league/contest i've seen. And certainly not a golden-goal penalty in OT of a really good, exciting NCAA knockout game. The contact is almost all on his chest (imagine falling from a pushup position over a ball centered under your breast plate).

PN, I have been trying to find the video without success as well. MaturinNYC, if you have a link to the video of the Kenyon v. UR game it would be appreciated.

Sorry i can't share the video (it's on a pw-protected archive of the UofR games) - but I believe Kenyon's video of the game is available with a subscription (an "On Demand" section of their site)?  Maybe a Kenyon fan who has a video subscription can share their clip from it?   I guess i can try and share stills of the moment - i'll try that.

But before i do let me say that Kenyon did nothing wrong here - of course they would claim a foul when there's suspected contact in the box, who wouldn't?!?!  And absolutely #15's dribble attack into the area gets credit, as does Kenyon's free kick that equalized the game in the 76th minute. I've said this elsewhere, but let me repeat - it was a great NCAA playoff game that saw two solid teams giving their all and then giving even more. My only criticism is that this exciting, thrilling game got cut short by the official who, i believe, made a mistake in awarding a golden goal penalty on what was at worst incidental contact or chest/shoulder on a player falling down. It happens. That's not Kenyon's fault (also full credit to the kid who converted the PK, talk about pressure). So please do not take this as a UofR fan throwing shade like a sore loser. Kenyon won, i heard and saw that their players and ours showed great appreciation and respect for each other, and i wish them well. I just also wish that the game was decided in a manner fit for the moment and the quality of both of the teams playing it.

OK, so with that disclaimer, here's some screenshots.

I can't post the images here (i've reached out to Admin but no answer), so instead you can view 5 grainy screen grabs here -- sorry it's the best i can do! And again, just want to say this is for the benefit of those who have asked to see the play - the facts are what they are.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZD3YLr1

Father, club & HS coach, sometime ref and ever a fan of the game

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoThunder1 on November 20, 2019, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: blue_jays on November 19, 2019, 06:24:54 PM

I don't disagree with this at all. In the game vs wheaton, UC really struggled in the final 3rd. Obviously, they were rock solid in the back - but once it got into the final 3rd things went stagnant.

I watched that game. I don't disagree that Chicago didn't manufacture a lot of scoring opportunities, but the ones that they had were good. Wheaton GK Hasten Biddlecome made two or three highlight-reel saves in that game.

Quote from: GoThunder1 on November 20, 2019, 09:45:00 AMI didn't catch the UC/NP game, but based on your comments - they are similar to what occurred in the NP/WC game.

I had to call a women's volleyball tournament at North Park that day, so I didn't see NPU @ UC and I can't speak as to why the Vikings couldn't score beyond the game's initial goal. But multiple people who did see it -- including one of the coaches -- told me that the onus for the defeat was upon NPU's brand-new and very young backline. Chicago may have had to summon up a whole new crew of attackers to oppose them in the wake of the graduation of Lopez, Koh, and Adeosun, but they were more up to the challenge than NPU's new backline was.

Quote from: GoThunder1 on November 20, 2019, 09:45:00 AMNP may have the most skillful midfield in the country, but they are similar to UC in the fact that during their "bigger" games, they have seemed to struggle offensively. To be fair, they also play a 4-5-1 and have built up their attack in the midfield, so that should be noted. I agree that this NP team is more skillful than their 2017 team, however that team had a rock in the back (Ricky Pimentel), which this team lacks. Ricky (who I believe me be a coach now) is arguably one of the best CB's in conference history.

Ricky Pimentel is indeed a graduate assistant coach at NPU; for obvious reasons, he works with the backliners. But there was more to that 2017 backline than just Ricky. The Vikings also had a big and skilled CB in Gustav Leander to complement Ricky, although Big Goose's mobility was curtailed by his recently-healed broken leg (he didn't play until the CCIW tournament that season); one of the most explosive right backs around in Jason Gonzalez; and a left back in Kyle Robson who was then in his third year of four that were all spent as a starter for the Vikings.

Quote from: GoThunder1 on November 20, 2019, 09:45:00 AMI predicted NP to win this matchup with Calvin prior to the start of the tourney, so I will stick by it - however, I can definitely see it going either way. 2 really good teams, should be a great battle.

I'm looking forward to calling it. The Calvin program under Ryan Souders has earned the respect of everybody who follows D3 men's soccer, and nobody from NPU begrudges that. I think that people around NPU are well aware that the Vikings are a definite underdog. I also know that the NPU players and coaches are not lacking for confidence in themselves.

Here's d3soccer.com's very comprehensive preview for the sectional being held at NPU.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Hopkins92

Just focusing on what I've observed, I don't see Swat beating Conn College. And I'd be shocked if W&L upsets Tufts. The Generals just seem prone to giving up soft goals, and with a team like Tufts staring you down... hoo boy. I actually think the Tufts-CC game would be pretty amazing, but I think the Camels might really struggle to generate any offense. They took a TON of shots against Hop, but 90 percent were more hopeful than dangerous.

PaulNewman

Quote from: scoutteam1 on November 20, 2019, 11:17:19 AM

Centre / Claremont seems to be a toss up. Do either have a chance of upsetting Kenyon, assuming the Lords advance?

What are your thoughts?

Of course any of the four team could advance.  Kenyon is good and at home (although the latter hasn't been enough in prior years).  Montclair is very athletic, physical and skilled with a potent offense and guys capable of wonder strikes for goals.  Centre has probably the hottest striker in the country and is on a roll especially considering how they dispatched a favored and very hungry JCU team at JCU.  And C-M-S is the one West team that pretty much has stayed on the national radar all season.  Beating Trinity at Trinity in a NCAA game (even if Trinity had a down year) is an impressive feat and C-M-S has its own All American.

scoutteam1

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 20, 2019, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: scoutteam1 on November 20, 2019, 11:17:19 AM

What are your thoughts?

Of course any of the four team could advance.  Kenyon is good and at home (although the latter hasn't been enough in prior years).  Montclair is very athletic, physical and skilled with a potent offense and guys capable of wonder strikes for goals.  Centre has probably the hottest striker in the country and is on a roll especially considering how they dispatched a favored and very hungry JCU team at JCU.  And C-M-S is the one West team that pretty much has stayed on the national radar all season.  Beating Trinity at Trinity in a NCAA game (even if Trinity had a down year) is an impressive feat and C-M-S has its own All American.

I haven't seen much of any of the teams.

Centre's Garuba may be one of the most talented players in D3 soccer (19 goals last year, 22 and counting this year). Judging from social media, most of his goals are fantastic individual efforts. And it looks like they have a decent & consistent supporting cast. Don't seem particularly deep, but if they defend well and find Garuba, then it seems like he'll at least get a few opportunities to create and/or score. That's a dangerous recipe in the tourney.

Don't know enough about C-M-S, but beating Trinity away is a tough ask. Looks like either C-M-S or Centre can win the game and get a surprise berth to the Elite 8.

Montclair St, when I last saw them, had talent, but were very undisciplined. Can't see them beating Kenyon, who if they (Kenyon) are the same as in the past, are organized, disciplined, with the talent to match/exceed Montclair St.

Quick look at past results, Kenyon have dominated Centre since 2012. It looks like Centre has only 1 result during that time span and the teams have played almost every year. Looking at the result in the regular season game, it seems like a decently even game but Kenyon just better.

History seems to indicate that Kenyon has the edge. 

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: MaturinNYC on November 20, 2019, 11:36:07 AM
Quote from: MaturinNYC on November 19, 2019, 01:03:07 AM
Quote from: TyWebb on November 18, 2019, 08:32:33 PM
Quote from: MaturinNYC on November 18, 2019, 05:39:45 PM
But i wanted to see it again in video just to ensure my partisan eyes weren't blind. And having just watched it in slow motion, that impression stands. It just simply isn't a penalty in any league/contest i've seen. And certainly not a golden-goal penalty in OT of a really good, exciting NCAA knockout game. The contact is almost all on his chest (imagine falling from a pushup position over a ball centered under your breast plate).

PN, I have been trying to find the video without success as well. MaturinNYC, if you have a link to the video of the Kenyon v. UR game it would be appreciated.

Sorry i can't share the video (it's on a pw-protected archive of the UofR games) - but I believe Kenyon's video of the game is available with a subscription (an "On Demand" section of their site)?  Maybe a Kenyon fan who has a video subscription can share their clip from it?   I guess i can try and share stills of the moment - i'll try that.

But before i do let me say that Kenyon did nothing wrong here - of course they would claim a foul when there's suspected contact in the box, who wouldn't?!?!  And absolutely #15's dribble attack into the area gets credit, as does Kenyon's free kick that equalized the game in the 76th minute. I've said this elsewhere, but let me repeat - it was a great NCAA playoff game that saw two solid teams giving their all and then giving even more. My only criticism is that this exciting, thrilling game got cut short by the official who, i believe, made a mistake in awarding a golden goal penalty on what was at worst incidental contact or chest/shoulder on a player falling down. It happens. That's not Kenyon's fault (also full credit to the kid who converted the PK, talk about pressure). So please do not take this as a UofR fan throwing shade like a sore loser. Kenyon won, i heard and saw that their players and ours showed great appreciation and respect for each other, and i wish them well. I just also wish that the game was decided in a manner fit for the moment and the quality of both of the teams playing it.

OK, so with that disclaimer, here's some screenshots.

I can't post the images here (i've reached out to Admin but no answer), so instead you can view 5 grainy screen grabs here -- sorry it's the best i can do! And again, just want to say this is for the benefit of those who have asked to see the play - the facts are what they are.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZD3YLr1

Would like to see it in real-time, but from the description and pics I do not think this is handling in any sense... just unfortunate.    Did referees have open mics? discussion with AR? or was decision immediate?