FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Warhawk

Quote from: HScoach on March 26, 2013, 06:52:00 AM
Mount's advantage is Larry Kehres.   Nothing more, nothing less.    When he retires Mount will become Augustana.

we'll find out soon enough

badgerwarhawk

I'm not sure if I'd say UW-River Falls or UW-LaCrosse are the lucky ones in that they didn't hire Vince Kehres or he is the lucky one for not being hired.  If either had hired him would he have stayed when his father retired?   It's looking like his ascention to the head position was a done deal from the moment his father made his decision.  I'd have to think that Vince would have bailed on either of the WIAC programs in that case.

It will be interesting to see how the Mount program evolves.   
"Just think twice is my only advice."

KitchenSink

Tough shoes to step into.

He loses a game, he's going to be a failure to some.  But he has almost certainly been groomed for this.

You think Larry would have retired after 09 or 10 or 11 if they had been able to beat UWW?
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

Raider 68

There are many Raider fans, alums and former players ( I for one) who have great respect for UWW and their achievements. It is great that so many Warhawk faithful have such a high regard for Mount Union and especially Coach Larry Kehres! It is a good feeling, thanks! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

footballfan413

Quote from: KitchenSink on May 08, 2013, 01:58:20 PM
Tough shoes to step into.

He loses a game, he's going to be a failure to some.  But he has almost certainly been groomed for this.

You think Larry would have retired after 09 or 10 or 11 if they had been able to beat UWW?
I was thinking the exact same thing!  After taking back the championship last season, he goes out on top, as it should be.  Congrats to Coach Kehres on one of, if not the best, coaching careers ever!  What a first rate coach and program he built.  I would think, if anyone has a chance to keep the Raiders continuity going after he is gone, it is Vince, having learned from the master.  That will not be easy, I suspect, for Vince or anyone.  But, I doubt Coach K will be too far away from the program for a few years.   ;). Congrats again to him.  I hope you enjoy your retirement and your lifetime of memories spent making great football players and even better men, Coach K.  I don't think anyone has done it better! 
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

WarhawkDad

Quote from: Raider 68 on May 08, 2013, 10:08:38 PM
There are many Raider fans, alums and former players ( I for one) who have great respect for UWW and their achievements. It is great that so many Warhawk faithful have such a high regard for Mount Union and especially Coach Larry Kehres! It is a good feeling, thanks! :)
Raider

Most UWW posters have the ultimate respect for Mount Union and Coach Kehres for many many reasons.   Knowing what it took to win 4 National Championships, it is mind boggling to consider the commitment, intensity, drive, skill, and consistency that Mount Union has had for so long.  Having attended the Staff Bowl festivities/dinners during my son's career, it went well beyond what occurred on the field.  Coach Kehres was/is such a class act, with a marvelous since of humor.   

And my respect for the UMU program goes well beyond the coach.  It extends to a large majority of the fans that I met in Salem or on-line.  The Blanchard family introduced us to many Mount parents and we jointly tailgated at the 2009 and 2010 Stagg Bowls.   While our allegiances were obvious, there was tremendous respect and sportsmanship.   The feeling your are experiencing is well deserved.

WarhawkDad

Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014

2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"

ScreamingEagles

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 08, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
I'm not sure if I'd say UW-River Falls or UW-LaCrosse are the lucky ones in that they didn't hire Vince Kehres or he is the lucky one for not being hired.  If either had hired him would he have stayed when his father retired?   It's looking like his ascention to the head position was a done deal from the moment his father made his decision.  I'd have to think that Vince would have bailed on either of the WIAC programs in that case.

It will be interesting to see how the Mount program evolves.

The feeling that I got, at least in UWL's case, was that Vince wouldn't have taken the job even if offered it.  He for sure would have bailed on both UWRF and UWL now anyway, I'm sure that was part of the decision to not hire him in both cases.

In other news, the La Crosse Tribune has a list of incoming recruits for UWL.  I haven't seen a master list posted for UWL in a few years and its nice to be able to see who might make an impact this coming season.

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/uw-l-football-recruiting-dettwiler-connects-with-logan-s-leinfelder/article_467ab5fc-b863-11e2-b1ed-001a4bcf887a.html

Would have been nice to see a few more QB recruits as we desperately need some solid QB play but the other position groups look strong.

UWL has also added another full time staff position, an offensive line coaching spot.  Process to fill is ongoing:

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/5372300/1,false

Slowly but surely UWL is getting close to other conference schools in terms of full time staff.
UW-La Crosse

02 Warhawk

Matt Blanchard participating in the Bears rookie minicamp on a tryout basis (along with 28 other players).

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 10, 2013, 11:29:49 AM
Matt Blanchard participating in the Bears rookie minicamp on a tryout basis (along with 28 other players).

Although it's probably stressful for Matt, I think it's a great opportunity to prove himself with the new staff. This could be great for him.

02 Warhawk

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns
#Bears coach Marc Trestman on 3rd-string QB Matt Blanchard:"He doesn't seem out of place at all to any us and that's why he's with us."

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 10, 2013, 03:51:00 PM
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns
#Bears coach Marc Trestman on 3rd-string QB Matt Blanchard:"He doesn't seem out of place at all to any us and that's why he's with us."

Sweet. Keep the good news coming.

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 10, 2013, 03:51:00 PM
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns

Matt gets some props in this article. The camera idea is really cool.
[http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-75865384//url]

emma17

voice

Former UW-Whitewater quarterback Matt Blanchard was one of two quarterbacks at the just-completed Chicago Bears' rookie camp.

New Bears' head coach Marc Trestman talks about his assessment of Blanchard in today's Chicago Tribune...

"He's articulate in the verbiage of our offense," Trestman said. "He has picked it up very quickly. Again, the reps have really helped him. He's got very good fundamentals. He needs to improve like every quarterback does and he has a good base like I said. The ball easily comes out of his hand as you can see, when he's over the top on his throws it's a very natural throwing motion and he doesn't have to squeeze the ball hard or he doesn't have to what I would say work the ball, it comes off his hand very easily and very naturally and he's got some mobility.

"He's got a long way to go. We were in shorts. I think we'll see a little bit more out of him when we get into camp and get some pads on him and we get into the preseason games we'll see a little more about what he has."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-trestman-helmet-camera-20130513,0,2580873.story

badgerwarhawk

Alright, that means that they're going to bring him back to camp.   New staff, new opportunity, good luck Matt.

Did I just wish a Bear good luck.  OMG, what have I sunk to.  No, wait, actually I just wished a former WARHAWK good luck so that's not so bad.
"Just think twice is my only advice."