BB: Pre-season All-American Teams

Started by Jim Dixon, January 17, 2008, 07:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Old Man on January 10, 2009, 12:50:19 AM
How about the Chevaleir kid from KSC?

C      PO   A     E   Fld %  DP's
Jamie Chevalier.....   256  110 141   5   .980      37   

Also one of 9 players to win 'RAWLINGS GOLD GLOVE" award for 2008 and and 1 of 4 that is back for '09.

OM

Count me as a Keene State Supporter.  They are always near the top in my list for the region.  They will not have the experience team they had last year but I would not be surprised if they are in Wisconsin this year.

D3baseball.com wrote last year on the New England regional:

What will not be new are the top teams in the New England region. Keene State has been on the doorstep to the baseball championships the last few years but with their playoff experience, our pick to advance to Wisconsin is Eastern Connecticut. Trinity has an experienced squad and will challenge to be the New England representative in Appleton. If they don't take home the ultimate prize, this will be a disappointing season for the Bantams.

A.G.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 09, 2009, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: A.G. on January 09, 2009, 04:19:34 PM

My biggest surprise was no JOE DEVLIN of Lynchburg, on any of the teams, after being 2nd Team AA SP last year as a Junior.  I guess folks are not yet believers since he does not rack up the high K #'s...but again, neither did Maddux.  Joe is a similar type pitcher.
Devlin is kinda fish/kinda fowl.  He went 8-0 in 16 games with 3 saves.  He only pitched 55 innings.  ERA was good at 0.98, but he allowed 43 hits and 12 walks in those 55 innings.

Kitchens' ERA was 0.31; Booher went 11-1 and started 14 games; Bayer (Trinity CT) went 7-0 (ERA1.14, WHIP 0.85) in the regular season for the champs.

Thanks for making my point...Devlin compares very favorably over Bayer.  Yes, Devlin pitched only 55 IP...but was the team's CLOSER the first 1/4 of the season last year.  Either young man is very worthy...and this way....Devlin does not have to live up to any preseason hype meaning less pressure on him.

bbnag101

Quote from: A.G. on January 10, 2009, 07:46:44 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 09, 2009, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: A.G. on January 09, 2009, 04:19:34 PM

My biggest surprise was no JOE DEVLIN of Lynchburg, on any of the teams, after being 2nd Team AA SP last year as a Junior.  I guess folks are not yet believers since he does not rack up the high K #'s...but again, neither did Maddux.  Joe is a similar type pitcher.
Devlin is kinda fish/kinda fowl.  He went 8-0 in 16 games with 3 saves.  He only pitched 55 innings.  ERA was good at 0.98, but he allowed 43 hits and 12 walks in those 55 innings.

Kitchens' ERA was 0.31; Booher went 11-1 and started 14 games; Bayer (Trinity CT) went 7-0 (ERA1.14, WHIP 0.85) in the regular season for the champs.

Thanks for making my point...Devlin compares very favorably over Bayer.  Yes, Devlin pitched only 55 IP...but was the team's CLOSER the first 1/4 of the season last year.  Either young man is very worthy...and this way....Devlin does not have to live up to any preseason hype meaning less pressure on him.

Being selected is an honor, but also carriers a lot of pressure with it; your teammates, coaches, parents, and fans always expect you to always shine – you're not allowed to have a bad game.  However, what they seem to sometimes forget, the players are also college students that attend school, study, some work and then you have the long bus ride to the game.

And when you're not at 100% - that's when the other 8 guys step in and help pick you up.  With Devlin being a pitcher, he is going to need all of his teammates support - key catches, covering the hole up the middle, and a catcher who is a brickwall.

AG - he will have no pressure - and he can go out and show all of them that he is a stud.... I wish him good luck.

BigPoppa

It is always a crap shoot when predicting pre-season All-American teams. The best you can do is study the past history and use it as a guide for the future teams. Some school always produce a top hitter or pitcher so you can use the past success as a guide for future success in a position (Chapman's pitchers, WIAC hitters, anybody in the NJAC, etc...).

Once in a while, a player comes out of nowhere and has such a dominating season in a respected conference that you have to acknowledge his talent (Brian Kolb, Wheaton, IL). Not a particularly strong baseball history there, but to post those numbers in that conference is quite amazing.

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Hammer Ball

The 3 D3 players drafted that did not sign professional contracts 1088. Evan Bronson, Trinity (Texas) by Milwaukee (36); 1368. Dean Laganosky, Haverford by Cleveland (45); and 1435. Brett Holland, Texas-Tyler by Oakland (48) might merit watching.  As does Christian Conti of Muhlenberg. (.380, runs (49), triples (11), home runs (11), RBI (60), extra-base hits (29) and total bases (116)).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hammer Ball on January 13, 2009, 07:19:47 PM
The 3 D3 players drafted that did not sign professional contracts 1088. Evan Bronson, Trinity (Texas) by Milwaukee (36); 1368. Dean Laganosky, Haverford by Cleveland (45); and 1435. Brett Holland, Texas-Tyler by Oakland (48) might merit watching.  As does Christian Conti of Muhlenberg. (.380, runs (49), triples (11), home runs (11), RBI (60), extra-base hits (29) and total bases (116)).
Is Laganosky a junior this year?

Holland and Bronson will get to face some good teams this spring.  We will have a better "feel" for them by late April.  :)

Hammer Ball

Laganosky is a Sr..  Holland and Bronson must have done something last year to get drafted.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hammer Ball on January 13, 2009, 11:08:17 PM
Laganosky is a Sr..  Holland and Bronson must have done something last year to get drafted.
I think that the ASC and SCAC-West are hitters' leagues.  There are some pretty good bats in those leagues, and the scouts can see them against better competition.

I also do not know if they played in wooden bat leagues in 2007 altho' both Trinity and UTTyler do a good job of placing players in those leagues.

D3Lunatic

Where is Todd Emr's name? He returns for the BlueJays.

Ralph Turner

I thought that Emr had graduated and left the team!   ???  :)

No intentional slight, I am sure.  The problem in D3 is that there just aren't rampant press releases on who is in and who is out!

D3Lunatic

I agree. How does that change the top 25 landscape? Emr was a HUGE part of the BlueJays success. Does any other team have 3 parts like Youchak, Emr, and Angeloni?

OshDude

Quote from: D3Lunatic on January 18, 2009, 12:27:37 AM
I agree. How does that change the top 25 landscape? Emr was a HUGE part of the BlueJays success. Does any other team have 3 parts like Youchak, Emr, and Angeloni?
Yes. Off the top of my head: St. Scholastica, Whitewater, Salisbury, Tyler, Trinity, Thiel and Oshkosh.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 18, 2009, 12:07:08 AM
I thought that Emr had graduated and left the team!   ???  :)

No intentional slight, I am sure.  The problem in D3 is that there just aren't rampant press releases on who is in and who is out!

I expect Todd Emr would have been on the D3baseball.com preseason All-American list.  The problem was that he did not appear on the ballot as he was listed as a senior on the previous year.   With as many colleges that play D-III senior usually means graduated and off being pro in their major (or even baseball).

Not a perfect system but at D3baseball.com, we look forward to seeing Emr make a statement in the 2009 season.  I made Emr my vote for MVP in the 2008 Championship before the curse set in.

Ralph Turner

Please look for 2010 Pre-season All-American Teams and post the links here.

Jim Dixon will announce the location of the D3Baseball.com Pre-season All-Americans when they are available.

Jim Dixon

Six players from last year's Mideast Regional have been named part of the D3baseball.com 2010 preseason All-American team released on Monday. Adrian's outfielder Alex Cowart and pitcher Ryan Domschot join Wooster's designated hitter Matt Groezinger and pitcher Justin McDowell along with shortstop Tim Tepe from Rose-Hulman on the first team list. Gar Keen of Heidelberg was named as a second team selection.

more at: http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2010/01/17/7046/mideast-starts-dominate-in-preseason-honors.html