MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Everyone has their own opinion. But the fact is, both posts contained the word "candidate." One is more speculative than the other?  ???

At any rate, in the absence of any definitive statements, everything is speculation at this point, and we'll just have to wait and see how things shake out. :)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on May 06, 2020, 06:16:03 PM
Everyone has their own opinion. But the fact is, both posts contained the word "candidate." One is more speculative than the other?  ???

OK, then, to be fair I don't think it was accurate for either of you to use the word "candidate." That's a pretty well-defined term with regard to a job search.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

doolittledog

Instead of debating the word "candidate" Maybe some of you could opine if there is trouble in Loras land.  This Dubuque fan would love to sit down with a cup of coffee and read about a soap opera at the rival of his favorite school  ;D
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: doolittledog on May 07, 2020, 09:57:38 AM
Instead of debating the word "candidate" Maybe some of you could opine if there is trouble in Loras land.  This Dubuque fan would love to sit down with a cup of coffee and read about a soap opera at the rival of his favorite school  ;D

There is no trouble.  Just AndOne trying to stir some up.

Jordan Boyd got kicked off the team at Loras after the Buena Vista game last year.  After that, his twin brother (Jalen) left the team.

Ocean Johnson wanted to be closer to home in Chicago so he transferred to Elmhurst.  (Out of HS last year he almost picked Elmhurst.)

Titan Q

I've learned that Loras head coach Chris Martin is not pursuing the Augustana job.

Titan Q

I've heard Nebraska Wesleyan is getting Ryan Williams, a 6-7 F/C from NAIA Midland. In '17-18 averaged 17.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1st Team All-GPAC. Only played 1 game in '18-19 (injury) and 9 in '19-20. Had 29 & 13 vs Dakota St last yr.  Will be SR.

http://www.midlandathletics.com/roster/16/1/9657.php

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

doolittledog

Quote from: SpartyBlue on September 08, 2020, 10:25:56 AM
insightful interview with UD head coach Robbie Sieverding:  https://player.fm/series/the-shooters-touch/robbie-sieverding-head-mens-basketball-coach-at-the-university-of-dubuque

Bonus points to Coach Sieverding for mentioning the Dog House!!!  My old stomping grounds  ;D
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

doolittledog

Former BVU HC  Merritt Ewalt has died at the age of 90.

https://bvuathletics.com/news/2020/9/30/general-bvu-hall-of-fame-coach-remembered-for-his-connections.aspx

From the article...

Another favorite tale involved a night in which Merritt Ewalt was locked out of a gymnasium in which his team was playing.
"Luther College had a fire or some sort of damage to its gymnasium on campus, so one year they had to play in a high school gym in Decorah," Steve says. "My dad was always pretty vocal during games and he was upset about something and, as legend would have it, he walked to the end of the bench and pushed a door open beyond the baseline and stepped outside."
The episode likely happened during halftime.
"Well, the door shut behind him and was locked," Steve continues. "It forced my dad to have to walk around the school and come back in through the front entrance. They tried to charge him admission for a game in which he was coaching."

I love stories like that!

jaybird44

Hello friends!

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.
It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

doolittledog

The conference announces their Winter and Fall-to-Spring sports schedules.

https://rollrivers.com/news/2020/11/18/football-a-r-c-announces-winter-and-fall-to-spring-sports-schedules.aspx

From the article...

The basketball schedule is slated to start January 23 with a round-robin of eight conference games. Due to the limited schedule, the Presidents Council approved nine-team conference tournaments the week of March 1. The one-year exception expands the tournaments from their usual number of six teams.

doolittledog

We are 1 week into the 2021 season.

Games so far...

01/03 - Edgewood 71 - 70 Wartburg in Waverly
01/10 - Dubuque  99 - 69 Edgewood in Dubuque

Games this week...

01/12 - Simpson @ Wartburg (non-con)
01/13 - North Central (MN) @ Dubuque
01/13 - Loras @ Concordia (WI)
01/14 - Coe @ Luther (non-con)
01/16 - Wartburg @ Dubuque (non-con)
01/16 - Coe @ Simpson (non-con)
01/17 - Loras @ Edgewood

SpartyBlue

UD 99 Edgewood 69  Good to finally see some hoops!

UD had the offense clicking against an Edgewood team who had beaten Northwestern, MN. and Wartburg both on the road.  Lots of weapons for the Spartans.  Non-con this week against North Central, MN. then an interesting matchup Saturday vs. Wartburg.  Let's hope for a safe and fun season!