FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 14, 2018, 03:11:40 PM
The more I read/hear I believe Ferrum will a tough out this year and of course, HSC must travel to play them

They were 8-2 last year, 7-2 DIII. Coach Grande has improved their win total each of his 3 years and they bring back quite a few starters. The defense was really good last year, the offense was ok. But they lost more from the defense than the offense, so that could flip, or at least even out, this year. I see no reason for them to be a pushover. But I also think the ODAC will be more challenging than the USASAC was last year.

I definitely don't think they are going to be another Shenandoah, who won 6 conference games in their first 4 seasons, as they enter the conference.

tigerFanAlso2

we'll find out how FC adjust to ODAC play. I look forward to watching it all play out. OOC schedule still concerning me as I see at AU as a very difficult start followed with CNU paying a visit to HSC. Both games could be very interesting. I think Coach Favret will have them ready to play and I hear HSC will actually be able to kick PA's and FG's this year. Pleasant addition to the offense.

HSCTiger64

When is ODAC media day?  I'm getting antsy!!!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: HSCTiger64 on August 16, 2018, 10:16:48 PM

Not sure about media day, but coaches poll gets released on Monday 8/20.

hasanova

Thirteen days for Macon, 15 for the rest ... can't wait!  E&H and FC open ODAC play on day one.

jknezek

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 17, 2018, 12:32:49 AM

I thought the ODAC did away with Media Day. Pretty sure we didn't have one last year, just a coordinated release date for coaches poll and having coaches/players available for interview if media wanted it but on individual campuses.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on August 17, 2018, 10:40:24 AM

I thought the ODAC did away with Media Day. Pretty sure we didn't have one last year, just a coordinated release date for coaches poll and having coaches/players available for interview if media wanted it but on individual campuses.
I think you are right.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on August 17, 2018, 10:40:24 AM

A friend said he emailed commissioner of ODAC and said it will be here Monday or Tuesday.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

HSCTiger64

Well in eager anticipation the 64 Pre-Season Poll

1. Randolph Macon (this pains me, pains me so)
2. Shenandoah U (why not?  QB is a stud)
3. H-SC (Gotta love my Tigers but I cannot be a homer)
4. W&L (Stakes a step back with Abell having left)
5. FC (Ferrum is an up and coming program down in the end of the state I
6. BC (Their offensive scheme is usually enough to throw a few people off, perhaps a trip back to glory soon.
7. Guilford
8. Emory and Henry (After last year's collapse and an L to Open up the Crooked Road Classic, don't see the Wasps winning many in conference this year.

jknezek

Well, having looked at it and what is coming back in Kickoff, I'm looking a little different.

W&L
RMC
Shenandoah
HSC
Ferrum
Guilford
BC
E&H

I think you can go by 2s this year. The first two could easily flip flop, as could the second two and so on, but I think, unless some team has a real breakout star, it will be hard to shift between those tiers.

W&L -- I am still cautious of W&L's new coaching staff, but the talent coming back might be as much as I have seen since the 2012 team. The schedule also favors W&L in a way that has been rare in the past. All 3 of my other contenders have to come to Lexington.

RMC is bringing back a lot. A real lot. From a team that was pretty darn good to begin with. But, 3 of their first 4 games are going to be tough and they have to go to W&L, to Shenandoah, and, not that seems to matter lately, to The Game. Can they rediscover the defense that killed the conference in 2016?

Shenandoah. Never count out a team with a stud qb. But they just can't seem to get over the hump. They get HSC and RMC at home, but if they are in contention the pressure will be on in a visit to Lexington in week 11. In 3 tries in Lexington, Shenandoah has never gotten within 17 points of the Generals.

HSC. Call me skeptical on the QB. As someone who watches mainly W&L games, he's never impressed me. This is a team that got spanked by 2 of the 3 contenders last year, but Coach Favret seems to always find some offensive studs. The question is can the defense hold anyone decent to 30 points or less, or does the offensive still have to score 40+ to win?

Ferrum -- this was a good squad last year. 8-2 with an early win over E&H, who also topped W&L early in the season. They
had an incredible defense, but graduated a significant number on that side of the ball. How they will hold up to a full ODAC schedule will be interesting. They could start 4-0 and get a good run at the season, or start 2-2 and be staring at Shenandoah trying to stay above .500.

Guilford -- At least they don't have two D1 schools and a long trip to Alabama to start the year. Maybe they can get better traction if they can pull another win over Huntingdon. They go to 3 of my top 4, getting only W&L at home, so to get out of this tier they are going to have to win on the road.

BC -- They are starting at Gettysburg where the Bullets have a new coach for the first time since I was a baby. But then Stephenson is no joke. Of course BC shocked TMC last year before crashing out in the ODAC.  They host 3 of the big 4, but it's just been so long since BC really had ODAC championship talent it's hard to believe it's going to magically appear a year after they got kicked around by everyone except E&H.

E&H -- last year had a lot of promise. But an inability to play any kind of defense killed the Wasps. They could score until the injuries piled up, but they looked like Swiss Cheese on the other side of the ball. I just have a hard time believing in this program. Year in and out they seem to come below expectations, so I'm going to make sure that can't happen this year.

tigerFanAlso2

I agree with your picks mostly, I do think HSC will finish ahead of SU and I do think this is our year to win THE GAME. Cannot have another senior class leave without a victory over RMC.

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger64 on August 17, 2018, 01:39:19 PM
Well in eager anticipation the 64 Pre-Season Poll

1. Randolph Macon (this pains me, pains me so)
2. Shenandoah U (why not?  QB is a stud)
3. H-SC (Gotta love my Tigers but I cannot be a homer)
4. W&L (Stakes a step back with Abell having left)
5. FC (Ferrum is an up and coming program down in the end of the state I
6. BC (Their offensive scheme is usually enough to throw a few people off, perhaps a trip back to glory soon.
7. Guilford
8. Emory and Henry (After last year's collapse and an L to Open up the Crooked Road Classic, don't see the Wasps winning many in conference this year.
Your post says volumes about being the bastard stepchild of the ODAC.  lol

HSCTiger fan

1.  RMC they without a doubt should have beat WL last year and they have practically everyone back.
2. HSC I don't mind being a "homer". QB had one of the statistically best years ever for ANY Favret QB.  I expect a vastly improved running game this fall.
3. WL based what's coming back and mainly whose not - 11 starters, HC, DC, OC, AA LBer, their QB...
4. SU only because I'm buying the WL at home against RMC, HSC, SU
5 thru 8 - Does it really matter?

I am probably way off in my picks. But it's not like I'm picking HSC to finish 6th with a 2-5 ODAC record. That would be crazy.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Jeremybozz

Any news on the Guilford at NC Wesleyan scrimmage today?

Jeremybozz

My Picks:

1 Shenandoah(I might be a bit biased as a Bauserman).
2 Randolph Macon
3 Washington & Lee
4 Hampden-Sydney
5 Bridgewater
5 Ferrum
5 Guilford
8 Emory & Henry

Who is doing ODAC pick em? We have Randolph Macon at Johns Hopkins on 8-30-18.