MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rofrog

Ryan the word defense or defence meaning-in many sports is the action of preventing an opponent from scoring.I stand by my comment I did not see defense from either team that night bottom line.That is why my comment about the NBA came in because it is a league of no defense.It is your typical up an down game which like I said is not my style.I like the tough nose defense when you actually hold -like the definition states your opponent from scoring

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on January 10, 2019, 02:56:39 PM
Ryan the word defense or defence meaning-in many sports is the action of preventing an opponent from scoring.I stand by my comment I did not see defense from either team that night bottom line.That is why my comment about the NBA came in because it is a league of no defense.It is your typical up an down game which like I said is not my style.I like the tough nose defense when you actually hold -like the definition states your opponent from scoring

In a low scoring game let's say there were 40 possessions ... and the team kept their opponent from scoring on 25 of those possessions ... giving up, say, 40 points.

In a high possession game, there were actually 70 possessions ... and the solid defensive team only allowed their opponent to score on 44 of those possessions and they gave up, say, 60 points.

You know what those two games have in common? The defense only allowed the opponent to score on 37.5% of their possessions. The defense stopped the opponent 63.5% of the time. Despite the scores... the defense was just as successful, but you can't see it because you are looking at ... points. Both teams "prevented" their opponents from scoring at the exact same rate.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: saratoga on January 10, 2019, 07:26:42 AM

Thank God Logan Bailey showed up for the Royals last evening.

Quick question for Dave or Ryan...

Is Logan able to be considered for Landmark ROY even though he is technically a soph. academically?

I do not know the Landmark rules on that.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Rofrog on January 10, 2019, 02:56:39 PM

Watch an NBA game from the 80's then come back and watch one from today.  The defense is insane these days.  You're confusing "low-scoring" or "slow-paced" with "defense."  It's a lot more complicated than you're making it.  The defenses were not stellar on Tuesday, but the evidence you've presented doesn't prove that.  That's my only point.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

saratoga

Nice gut check win by the Royals yesterday.

Logan Bailey & DeVerna played fantastic all around games.

For the Royals to take the next step & start to swim in the deep end of the pool & not just dip their toe in Top 25 for a second but to actually stay there, Danzig obviously needs to bring in a point that can step in and play from day 1 (think Randy Arnold) and another big to take the pressure off Mancuso & the smaller guards that have to bang each game for 40 minutes with kids bigger & stronger.

Get those 2 pieces to the puzzle & the future will be set for several years. Otherwise, the lazy passes & unforced turnovers from the current setup will be an unresolved issue that will never allow this group to move forward to their fullest potential.

ronk

The already committed(Ryan Ems) may help in the PF slot, but they do need a ball handler against the press. Kevin Doolan was under-appreciated in this regard; he just had a mental block wrt to FT shooting.

NEPAFAN

Mancuso still getting his legs back?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on January 13, 2019, 06:18:15 PM
Mancuso still getting his legs back?

Doesn't appear to be 100%, yet.

Rofrog

Ryan will help immediately the kid is a true power forward that is not afraid to bang.He will not be out shooting 3s lol.

Rofrog

Scranton ' Men' basketball team needs one more win for 1500 wins that is alot of wins.

NEPAFAN

Scranton also matched last year's win total. Let us never speak of last year again.

;D
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

NEPAFAN

Ronk:

Have you stopped with your conference standings and final record prognostications? Or are we too early in the season?
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on January 15, 2019, 10:11:55 AM
Ronk:

Have you stopped with your conference standings and final record prognostications? Or are we too early in the season?

My preseason forecast:

1. Moravian
2. Drew
3. Scranton,Catholic,E-town  tie
6. Juniata,Susquehanna   tie
8. Goucher

After 4 league games I'll adjust it, thusly:

1. Moravian    12-2
2. Drew   10-4
3. Scranton  9-5
4. Catholic,E-town,Susquehanna   7-7
7. Juniata,Goucher    2-12

ronk

I've started to declutter by going through old ball and golf magazines; there was no internet at that time - the only knowledge we had was preview mags from the likes of Street & Smith; I gave a writeup from one about Hal Danzig(All-East player @ Bucknell and Carl's dad) to Carl 10 years ago; I finally met Hal at the Gettysburg game last season. One such mag was the college basketball preview issue of SI(Nov '77, Larry Bird-Indiana St on the cover). They had a section on the small colleges with 1 3/4 pages devoted to the history and culture of Scranton(University and basketball team), presumably because they won the national title in '76 and finished 3rd in '77.
  Coach Bessoir's regret going into the new season was that there was only 1 game against a D1 opponent(St. Bonaventure) after going 4-3(including an OT loss to Coach K's Army team) the previous year. "The rest of the big-time teams refuse to go near Scranton for fear of being beaten". This team had 3 of the starters from the '76 champions - Paul Miernicki and the Johnson brothers (Phil who I met a year ago at the Scranton-Catholic game and Irvin(Swirvin Irvin, the I in the sky). The article mentioned that the high school counselor( a college classmate of mine) of the Johnsons in Upper Marlboro,MD steered them to attend the U. They finished 22-7 in '77-78 and lost in the NCAA 1st round to Slippery Rock.
  The year I was on the frosh team Scranton played 10 current D1 teams, including Temple, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Providence with John Thompson.
  When Bessoir himself played(2 decades before D3 came into existence), the players lived on the 2nd and 3rd floors of Coach Pete Carlesimo's(PJ's dad) house on Vine Street because there were no dorms.
  In the section on women's basketball, this was the transition period from the AIAW(Immaculata and Delta St dominating) to the NCAA D1 schools; Immaculata had a number of players transfer to Old Dominion, presumably with the advent of scholarships in this sport.

Rofrog