BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS opened the season with a quick trip to Louisville picking up a pair of wins (vs. Spaulding 11-0, Anderson 8-7) before dropping the final game (vs. Spaulding 6-8).  The team was suppose to play Heidelbery, Baldwin Wallace and Anderson in Indiana on the trip home however weather forced cancellation of all three games.

Noah Jensen hit .400 with 3 extra base hits including a home run and 7 RBI.   Alex Doud also drove in 7 runs and hit .364.  Nick Santoro and Ryan Norton each had 3 RBI.

Matt O'Sullivan picked up win #1 throwing 4 shut out innins allowing 3 hits and striking out 4 against Spaulding.   Evan Sigmund struck out a pair in 1.1 innings of relief for the win against Anderson.  Trey Bretl took the loss in the second Spaulding game in relief of Connor Morodor.

The team is off until 3/19. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

ShineTime

UWSP off to a wonderful start I see! I know it's been stated already but my God did anyone ever think this would be possible for the Pointers to have a program this bad? I looked over the roster and sure there are a couple good kids but the great pointer teams had 2-3 outstanding kids along with at least 3 absolute stud pitchers. They don't have anyone even close to a number 1 on this staff it's getting to point where I'm sorry but they may need to start over. Being a great baseball player and from a great baseball family doesn't automatically make you a great recruiter unfortunately. By no means can that all be blamed on the head coach but the talent level between now and 5 years ago is off the charts.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Figured some might find this of interest....

A local amateur baseball game today saw a pair of WIAC Pitcher of the Year award winners and another two-time All WIAC pitcher take the mound over the course of nine innings. It started with 2012 Winner Cam Seidl squaring off against two time All-WIAC selection Colan Treml.  After Seidl and Treml did their thing for five and six innings respectively, 2014 winner Luke Watson took the mound for a pair of innings.  Needless to say, there wasn't much offense in the game, as the trio combined to give up just four hits, which were all allowed by Treml.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

tomt4525

UWSP got another big leaguer....JP Feyereisen has made the Brewers roster.  Congrats to him, cool to see.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: tomt4525 on July 23, 2020, 12:10:57 PM
UWSP got another big leaguer....JP Feyereisen has made the Brewers roster.  Congrats to him, cool to see.

Alas, I fear that Jordan Zimmermann's career may be over.  He is on the DL for the zillionth time, and will probably not pitch ever again for the Tigers.  With his persistent arm troubles, I'm not sure any team would sign him.  Well, we can always remember the magic of April-May 2016! :)

cubs

2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

PauldingLightUP

Is there any information as to what is going on at UW-Stevens Point? The head baseball coach position was posted and open to applicants on October 30th and closes on November 13th. What is the status of Jeremy Jirschele? Jirschele is still listed as head baseball coach.  I have not seen any news outlet or UWSP athletics website post any news update about this. This appears to be a sudden opening?

tomt4525

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on November 05, 2020, 11:47:53 AM
Is there any information as to what is going on at UW-Stevens Point? The head baseball coach position was posted and open to applicants on October 30th and closes on November 13th. What is the status of Jeremy Jirschele? Jirschele is still listed as head baseball coach.  I have not seen any news outlet or UWSP athletics website post any news update about this. This appears to be a sudden opening?

https://www.wsaw.com/2020/11/04/uwsp-baseball-makes-head-coaching-position-full-time/

Looks like UWSP was able to make the baseball coach position a full time position, and due to semantics...had to post it as a job opening.  It does say that they are keeping Jirschele for now and he remains a candidate, which makes it sound like they are actually doing a coaching search.  Jirschele hasn't done anything to warrant keeping this position if you ask me, but I don't know what other options they would have at this point.

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

tomt4525

Quote from: Just Bill on December 10, 2020, 11:45:25 AM
https://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2020/12/10/pointers-tap-richter-to-lead-uwsp-baseball-program.aspx

Interesting...glad there is a change to see if some new blood can improve the program.  The question I have now is will any of the current players quit the team and go elsewhere now that the coach who recruited them is gone.  Also, I would be curious as to who the candidates were for the position, probably something we will never find out.

PauldingLightUP

Schedules for most teams have been recently posted. Teams are going to 20 doubleheaders against conference only opponents. Same divisions as basketball but Finlandia will be in the East and Platteville will be in the West.

Teams will play two doubleheaders against every conference opponent for 28 games in conference standings. Then you will play your division opponents for two additional doubleheaders for 12 games that will be treated as nonconference games and not count in standings.

Total of 40 games scheduled. It starts March 20. Interesting it looks like softball, golf, and tennis have the ability to schedule opponents not in the conference, but not baseball.

badgerwarhawk

Ex-Pointer pitcher JP Feyereisen  threw 1.2 hitless innings of relief with 3 Ks in the Brewers 7-2 win over LAD.   Feyereisen has appeared in five games pitching 5.2 scoreless innings with a 0.18 WHIP and 10 strikeouts.  Good luck to him.   

badgerwarhawk

The 18th ranked WARHAWKS open the 2021 season with a twin bill sweep of Stevens Point 9-4 and 6-4.  The WARHAWKSW jumped on top in a big way with six runs in their first at bat in game one.  Scoring runs on a bases loaded walk, followed by a 3 RBI double from Zach Campbell and after the next batter was HBP another double from Taylor White which drove in a pair.  Adding a single run in the 3rd on asingle from Bryan Sturdevant  push the lead to 7-0 before Point countered with three runs in the fifth cutting the WARHAWKS lead to 7-3.  The WARHAWKS added single runs in the seventh with an single by Tucker Criswell and in the eighth on a solo shot from Ryan Norton.  Point finished the scoring with an sacrifice fly in the ninth.  Westin Muir went 4 scoreless innings allowing a single hit and striking out 7.  Freshman Nick Cairo picked up the win with 3 innings allowing 3 hits, 3 runs and striking out a pair.  Connor Mordor finished the final two innings surrending 3 hits, 1 run and s single strikeout. 

Point jumped out early with a 2-0 lead early int game two with a two run shot off starter Matt O'Sullivan.  A pair of runs by the WARHAWKS on a passed ball and sacrifice ground out in the fourth tied the game.  The WARHAWKS took the lead in the fifth on Nick Santoro's RBI single and added insurance runs in the sixth with a sacrifice fly by Korman, and a wild pitch.  The final WARHAWKS run scored in the eighth on a sacrifice fly from Donovan Brandl.  Point got it's final pair of runs in the ninth on an RBI double and an error.  O'Sullivan picked up the win allowing 4 hits and a pair of runs while striking out 10 in six innings.  Kade Lancour pitched two innings of hitless ball striking out a pair and Connor Spear finished the final two innings allowing 2 runs on 2 hits and recording a single strikeout.

In other action around the league Oshkosh swept Findlandia 17-3 and 15-0, LaCrosse took two from Eau Claire 13-0 and 16-6 and Platteville split with Stout losing game one 19-2 before rebounding in game two 11-6. 

badgerwarhawk

After beating Oshkosh by run rule 14-2 the WARHAWKS finished the twin bill with a walk off 4-3 win.  Oshkosh struck first in game one with a pair of runs in the top of the second but the WARHAWKS responded in a big way with 6 in their half of the inning.  Jacob DeMeyers double drove in a run and Zach Campbell's single another.  Two runs scored on wild pitches and another pair after  a Titan throwing error.  Eight more WARHAWKS runs scored in the fifth.  Another Titan throwing error led to the first run.  Doubles by Campbell (2) and Matt Korman (3) with Donovan Brandl's RBI single sandwiched between accounted for the others.  Brandl got the win allowing 5 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks and 7 strikeouts in six innings.  Connor Mordor finished the game allowing a single hit and striking out the side in the seventh.

Game two started a pitcher's duel to begin.  Neither team scored in the first four innings.  During that stretch the Titans only had a single base runner while the WARHAWKS loaded the bases with one out in the third but a pair of strikeouts ended that without a run being scored.  Ian Drays singled in a run in the WARHAWKS fifth and that lead held until the Titans took the lead on a two run home run in the eighth.  Ryan Norton answered that with a two run home run of his own in the bottom of the inning putting the WARHAWKS back in the lead 3-2 but that lead was short lived as the Titans rallied for a run on a solo home run to tie the game in their ninth.   With two outs in their final at bat Taylor Criswell doubled and Korman followed by drawing a walk.  After the Titans made a pitching change both Criswell and Korman advanced on a passed ball.  While preparing to pitch to Nick Santoro the Titan reliever forced in the winning run with a balk.   Connor Spear allowed just four hits, struck out six with a single walk in six scoreless innings.  Nick Cairo surrendered all three Titan runs in 1.1 innings allowing three hits with a walk and strikeout.  Mordor got the win after getting the final pair of Titan outs drawing a ground out double play.

Elsewhere in the league Point took both ends 10-0, 6-1.  LaCrosse swept Stout 11-5, 6-1 and Platteville got a pair from Eau Claire 7-2, 11-3. 

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS pitchers allowed two hits and threw fourteen scoreless innings sweeping Findlandia 14-0 and 10-0.  Weston Muir (2-0) surrendered a single in the second inning and faced 17 batters in 5 innings, striking out 7 to pick up the win.  Matt Korman drove in 5 runs on a pair of singles and a double while Jacob DeMeyer drove in three to lead the WARHAWKS offense which finished with 17 hits.  Ben Muscatello pitched the final two frames striking out three.

Matt O'Sullivan (2-0) was perfect through 6 1/3 striking out the first 13 batters he faced in game two.  O'Sullivan finished with 17 strikeouts tying Matt Katska for the second most in program history.  He also faced the minimum 21 batters in pitching a complete game.  Connor Mordor, Nick Santoro and Ryan Norton led the offense each recording a pair of RBI.  Norton's coming on a home run.