2019 Pool C

Started by MRMIKESMITH, October 21, 2019, 03:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@d3jason

Quote from: Inkblot on November 16, 2019, 10:14:06 PM
North Central will likely be #5 in the final regular-season poll. And yet they probably have a less than 50% chance of making the playoffs.

It's a shame CNU fell apart on them. That was a good looking non-conference win in September.

edward de vere

If you're not going to give your committee enough latitude to put in North Central as one of the five Pool C teams (okay, four Pool C teams after Whitewater), then why even have a committee?  Just put in exact, specific rules to the tenth power - or hundredth power - or thousandth power - and have the computer spit out the results.

wm4

Quote from: edward de vere on November 16, 2019, 10:45:47 PM
If you're not going to give your committee enough latitude to put in North Central as one of the five Pool C teams (okay, four Pool C teams after Whitewater), then why even have a committee?  Just put in exact, specific rules to the tenth power - or hundredth power - or thousandth power - and have the computer spit out the results.

Hot take...after 10 games, who did UWW beat?  The WIAC was not itself this year.  UWW won close games with Platteville, LaCrosse, and even Concordia, and lost to the highest ranked opponent it played.  But in the end, none of those wins are impressive or noteworthy.  Is that really any better a resume than Wartburg, or NCC?  Maybe it's the mezcal tonight, but I just don't see UWW as an automatic C selection.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: wm4 on November 16, 2019, 10:55:08 PM

Hot take...after 10 games, who did UWW beat?  The WIAC was not itself this year.  UWW won close games with Platteville, LaCrosse, and even Concordia, and lost to the highest ranked opponent it played.  But in the end, none of those wins are impressive or noteworthy.  Is that really any better a resume than Wartburg, or NCC?  Maybe it's the mezcal tonight, but I just don't see UWW as an automatic C selection.
I think the first three teams in are Wesley, Redlands, and Wartburg in whatever order. Then it gets tougher but Whitewater is probably the 4th in leaving the last spot for Susquehanna vs whoever the north has higher between North Central and John Carroll.
There's absolutely going to be teams left out this year who are worthy of being included. In a normal year teams like Susquehanna, John Carroll, North Central wouldn't be too worried but this year two of their seasons are over.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

edward de vere

If my life depended on one team of the possible Pool C teams winning on a neutral field against any of the other possible Pool C teams, I would take Whitewater.  Who would you take?

thunderdog

Quote from: edward de vere on November 16, 2019, 11:16:40 PM

If my life depended on one team of the possible Pool C teams winning on a neutral field against any of the other possible Pool C teams, I would take Whitewater.  Who would you take?

Most years I'd totally agree. In 2019, I think the answer is NCC.

jamtod

Uww or North Central.
But as has been noted, the criteria the committee have to look at are much different from how we might evaluate

MRMIKESMITH

My Updated Bracket with Wesley, Redlands, Wartburg, NCC, and UW-W as Pool C:

1. Salisbury vs. Framingham State
2. Muhlenberg vs. MIT
4. Wesley vs. Western New England
3. Union vs. Delaware Valley

1. UMHB vs. Redlands
2. Chapman vs. Linfield
3. Berry vs. Huntingdon
4. Central vs. Wabash

1. Mount Union  vs. SUNY-Maritime
2. North Central vs. Hanover
3. UW-Oshkosh vs. Monmouth
4. Bridgewater (Va.) vs Brockport

1. Wheaton (Ill.) vs Martin Luther
2. St. Johns  vs. Aurora
3. UW-Whitewater vs. Case-Western
4. Hope vs. Wartburg

edward de vere

Quote from: thunderdog on November 16, 2019, 11:30:43 PM

Most years I'd totally agree. In 2019, I think the answer is NCC.

Okay, let's say you're right.  I disagree but let's say you're right.  (And, oh by the way, if the committee is not allowed to make a subjective judgment of which are the five qualitatively best teams, NCC might not get in.  Hmmm.)

That leaves all the other Pool C candidates.  After NCC, who would you take in a "my life depends on I get this right" scenario?  There are, after all,  four more openings.

Ralph Turner

Susquehanna has a better SOS than NCC, .518 versus .500).

Both are 0-1 RRO.

I have a hard time imagining Susque going 5 rounds on the board.

Updated SOS  Susque .504; NCC .500

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 17, 2019, 12:27:06 AM

Both are 0-1 RRO.

I think 2016 will be very similar in regards to selections.

https://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2016/final-regional-ranking

Subjective Criteria:
Susquehanna - Best Win: 7-3 Johns Hopkins Worst Loss: 10-0 Muhlenberg
Wesley - Best Win: 9-1 Delaware Valley: Worst Loss: 9-0 Salisbury
Redlands - Best Win: 8-1 Linfield: Worst Loss: 9-0 Chapman
John Carroll - Best Win: 7-3 Baldwin Wallace, Worst Loss: 10-0 Mount Union
UW-Whitewater - Best Win: 7-3 UW-Platteville, Worst Loss: 8-2 UW-Oshkosh
NC-C - Best Win: 7-3 WASHU, Worst Loss: 10-0 Wheaton
Wartburg - Best Win: 7-2 Monmouth, Worst Loss: 9-1 Central

Common Opponents:
CNU - Wesley W 42-7, NC-C W 43-13
UW-Stevens Point - JC W 21-7, UW-W 38-0
Dubuque - Wartburg W 42-25, UW-W 42-7

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 17, 2019, 12:27:06 AM

Both are 0-1 RRO.

And honestly, if Susquehanna gets left out it's a real shame. The South #2 needed OT to give Susquehanna their only loss of the season.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Cowboy2

All I have to say, is that it's a shame we don't get to see any of these guys in the playoffs:

BSU RB R Shufford
HSU RB J Hemphill
Trinity(TX) WRs Lavine/Stewart/Edmonson

Some of the most electric players I've seen in a while down in the south. Would have loved to see, especially with  how all three of those teams finished this year, take that momentum into the 1st round, but I guess there's only so many chairs at the table.

Whoever draws Berry, has their day cut out trying to cover Kinsey! That kid is a machine.

Goodluck to everyone is the playoffs!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mdrem7

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 17, 2019, 01:02:29 AM
Our projected bracket:
https://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2019/our-projected-bracket

Pat, who do you think the final 4 are out of that projected bracket?

I'd go with Mary Hardin-Baylor and Mount Union of course, but then go Muhlenberg and St. John's to upset the #1 seeds in their brackets.