MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: iwu70 on October 13, 2018, 01:40:54 PM
AO, sounds good to me -- add some black olives, some good olive oil and some salt and pepper.   Sounds grand.  :) 

Chilly in Bloomington at game time -- cloudy and about 45 -- IWU hosting EC.  Heading for Tucci Stadium at Wilder Field.

Go TITANS!

'70

Sounds like almost perfect football weather, 70.
I read an article this morning that said the Green Weenies hope to put EC away by the end of the 3rd quarter.

iwu70

AO, the weather at Tucci was brisk, then sunny and about 55 by halftime.  Really a perfectly lovely afternoon for football and festivities.  Titans had them put away 30-7 at the half, but EC did come back and score some in mop up time.  Titans made some mistakes, let up a bit in the 4Q.  Final as you saw was 44-28.  Still plenty of areas for IWU improvement.   Alexander was really great, a career day in yardage. 

Big tough stretch for the TITANS now -- where the rubber meats the road for the CCIW crown:   Wash U away, MU away, then NCC here at Tucci.  We'll really see what this team is made of and whether they can finally put together a total game with O and D both playing well, at a high level.  I think pretty necessary in each case these next three Saturdays.

'70

duckfan41

Happy Basketball Season!

Here's to months of *Basketball* discussion with you all. Wheaton kicked off their season this morning, at 12:01am to be exact. As the beginning of the game schedule draws near, I'm excited for the early test of Pre-Season #2 UW Oshkosh coming into King Arena for the Lee Pfund Classic. Wheaton would have to beat Coe first, and the Titans would have to defeat Piedmont, but that would be an early measuring stick for just how good this Wheaton Thunder team can be this year returning all major pieces except for the sharpshooting (and very efficient) Ricky Samuelson. Should be a very entertaining season!

iwu70

Yes, practices underway.  Very much looking forward to the season.

IWU has lots of talent, experience returning, high hopes for another CCIW championship.  Of course, Augie will be the big challenge, with many others there too. 

Still four weeks of football to go!

The TITANS have two DI exhibition games -- UIC and U of I -- (Augie plays ISU here in an exhibition game, too), then open the regular season November 11th at home against the always tough University of Chicago.  A pretty good, tough pre-CCIW schedule with Whitman and some other tough match-ups, then the always tough slog through the CCIW schedule in January-February.  No easy games, especially on the road. 

Look forward to the discussion and commentary, as always.

IWU'70

AndOne

Assume most if not all of the conference teams moved from the open gym phase to formal organized practice beginning today.
North Central should have a strong JV team this year as 28 bodies (15 returnees/13 newcomers) were on hand to begin the season's first practice at noon today.
A quick perusal of this year's schedule reveals what will no doubt be the highlight trip of the year, a most enjoyable trip to Finlandia Univ. in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Nov. 27th. The 16 hour round trip will provide plenty of time to commune with nature, and to absorb the many scenic highlights along the way. There is also what should be a mildly entertaining trip to the D3Hoops.Com Classic in Las Vegas between Christmas and New Years.  :o  8-)  ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on October 15, 2018, 06:37:45 PMA quick perusal of this year's schedule reveals what will no doubt be the highlight trip of the year, a most enjoyable trip to Finlandia Univ. in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Nov. 27th.

Could be worse. They could be traveling to Finlandia on December 27.

I hear that the most reliable means of transportation in the U.P. in late December is a tauntaun.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

duckfan41

Wheaton's Roster up now:
https://athletics.wheaton.edu/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Bringing in a big freshman class (shortest member 5'11, the rest above 6'5). I'll be interested to see if any of these guys are able to crack through the deep core of returners that this Wheaton team has. I feel that the team will need at least one to not play like a freshman this year in order to significantly compete, but time will tell.

AndOne

Quote from: duckfan41 on October 16, 2018, 12:08:30 PM
Wheaton's Roster up now:

Bringing in a big freshman class (shortest member 5'11, the rest above 6'5). I'll be interested to see if any of these guys are able to crack through the deep core of returners that this Wheaton team has. I feel that the team will need at least one to not play like a freshman this year in order to significantly compete, but time will tell.

One problem Wheaton had last season was that all of their freshmen played like freshmen. Another was an over reliance on Francis—no better a player to rely on if you're going to primarily rely on one asset. However, with basketball being a team game, you need a significant contribution from at least one other team member. I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe Eichelberger emerges as Wheaton's #2 this season. I've always thought of him as an underrated player who usually gets the job done in most aspects of the game.
Will we see Coach Schauer frequently sending Spencer Peterson into games with instructions to shoot a three every time he touches the ball? I think Wheaton will do a good job rebounding the ball. But perhaps the biggest factor in determining whether Wheaton will be the good team they should be and the very good team they could be is whether or not they will be able to upgrade their level of defensive intensity, and turn opponent's open looks into more contested shot attempts.

iwu70

Q, what's your view on the starting line-up for the TITANS?   When's your review coming out?

I'd say:  Rose, Bonnett, Gregoire, Curry and O'Neil -- from what I've seen.  Wolfe, Wallen, and Baker, first off the bench.

I'm sure Coach Rose has a lot of experimenting still to do, for the exhibitions in two weeks, and for the opener on November 11th vs. UChicago.

'70

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on October 18, 2018, 11:00:45 AM
Q, what's your view on the starting line-up for the TITANS?   
'70

I'd say you have 3 for-sure starters - 6-3 G Brady Rose, 6-4 G Colin Bonnett, 6-9 C Alex O'Neil.  And then 6-6 F Miles Curry seems like a real safe bet to replace Jaylen Beasley a the 4.

From there I think things can go some different ways.  Most likely there is a battle between 6-4 G/F Jason Gregoire and 6/5 F Doug Wallen at the 3.   

I think this IWU team is more talented than the team that shared the CCIW title last year - I believe there are sophomores and juniors who were varsity role players, or JV players, last year who will take a big step forward.  I'd put Miles Curry and Doug Wallen at the top of that group.

iwu70

Thanks, Q.  Looking forward to your season review.

All best from the soon-to-be glorious, colorful IWU Quad.

'70

GoPerry

Quote from: AndOne on October 16, 2018, 04:08:19 PM
Quote from: duckfan41 on October 16, 2018, 12:08:30 PM
Wheaton's Roster up now:

One problem Wheaton had last season was that all of their freshmen played like freshmen. Another was an over reliance on Francis—no better a player to rely on if you're going to primarily rely on one asset. However, with basketball being a team game, you need a significant contribution from at least one other team member. I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe Eichelberger emerges as Wheaton's #2 this season. I've always thought of him as an underrated player who usually gets the job done in most aspects of the game.
Will we see Coach Schauer frequently sending Spencer Peterson into games with instructions to shoot a three every time he touches the ball? I think Wheaton will do a good job rebounding the ball. But perhaps the biggest factor in determining whether Wheaton will be the good team they should be and the very good team they could be is whether or not they will be able to upgrade their level of defensive intensity, and turn opponent's open looks into more contested shot attempts.

Duck:  I too will be curious to see what kind of true size the freshman are.  Few 6'9" 185 lb forwards get on the floor much at this level.  The two 6'8" recruits are listed at 205 and 215 lbs respectively and thus need at least another 15 to be effective in the league playing in the paint and rebounding well (badly needed again this year). 

AO:  Cade Alioth was the only freshman who really saw the floor at all and he saw less as the season wore on.  Your point is well taken however.

As for over reliance on Jersey #1, I think it's going to come and go like the last 2 seasons.  While I would prefer to keep his shots to somewhere around 20 shots/game, I'm pretty sure there will be a few 30 shot games where he basically does it all – unless something drastically changes.  I think Schauer and Aston understand this as several times last season he obviously deferred in the 1st H waiting to turn it on in the 2nd 20 if necessary.  But balance is the better and more reliable recipe for season long team success and yes, someone like Eichelberger, Luke Peters, Trevor Gunter – all seniors, will have to step up (off, def, boards) as will Alioth, Anajuwon(aka Jay) Spencer, and Spencer Peterson who will be able to join the team quite early again this season.

The Thunder have a solid core of seniors returning with yet another tough non-con schedule(potentially vs Oshkosh, @Platteville, @LeTourneau).  They should expect to make the Conf tourney at a minimum.

duckfan41

Preseason Poll:

1. Augustana (7)
2. IWU (1)
3. Wheaton (1)
4. North Central
5. Elmhurst
6. Carthage
    Millikin
8. Carroll
9. North Park

Let the games begin!

Gregory Sager

The d3hoops.com preseason All-American list is up. Aston Francis is on the second team, and Nolan Ebel is on the third team. Two other Chicagolanders, Anthony Moseley, Jr. of Illinois Tech (Whitney Young) and Josh Ruggles of Loras (Wheaton-Warrenville South), made the honorable mention team.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell