WBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by purple puff, February 22, 2005, 05:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdean

WC Alun
Agree with your last post. The tournies are not about fielding the best teams. The hosts of d3football and basketball point that out often.
Its unfortunate they're more concerned with having a tournie that's represented by all qualified conferences, no matter how weak, than the best regardless of the conference.

Ben

Wow i was certaintly surprised to see BW fall prey to the NCAC. I thought that the OAC was strong this year in BW, Capital , WC, and Otterbein, and a few teams had their moments in the lime light. It is not like Big Ten Conference in football where you have two good teams and the other 9 or no where near the competition. I think it would have helped WC cause to beat Franklin, and i do not know how Kalamazoo faired the rest of the season. In reality though how do you not let the defending champs back in , unless they went 1-25 i can see but, 25- 5 and regular season co champs are enough to say hmm this team looks good.

wc_alum

Hate to say it, but since there's no Capital posters here to irratate, I'll go ahead and say it. If Capital had lost to BW in the OAC championship, they would have received a bid, based on ancient history, not recent achievements. Anyone notice that Capital was getting votes right behind WC in the last few D3Hoops polls? This was after they had fallen to 4th place in the OAC and BW was tied with WC for 1st. Yet BW was not receiving any votes. This just goes to show you that not even the coaches are fully aware of how teams are faring. I'm sure that same problem exists in the D3 selection committees.

wc_alum

Ben,

Both losses hurt WC, especially the loss to Kalamazoo (they might have finshed above .500). However, both were early season losses that in an ideal world would have been igonored by the selection committee (especially since Franklin is usually a contender and is probably glad to have WC out of their conference so they can start winning it again). Anyway, we're beating a dead horse here, best to just congratulate the team on a great season and look forward to next season.

Malcolm Meyer

Here is how I see it. DePauw had the best record in the region. They lost in their league tournament so they got the at large for Great Lakes. Because of the  automatic bids for conferences and the NCAA preference to give spots for non automatic conference winners, there are not that many at large spots. Therefore no WC. By the way, several years ago Capital did not go and they were ranked in the top 15 in the country.  I feel your pain.

Pat Coleman

Malcolm,

The region is not guaranteed any specific number of at-large spots. DePauw losing had an effect, so did Dickinson losing, Oneonta State losing, etc.

jdean

Pat Summitt. Lets see how good a coach you really are--come to MUC. You can take either the mens or the womens team.

jdean

I'm still waiting for the MUC press release about Pat coming on board as head coach or a seven footer from China enrolling.

jdean

Finally, the MUC press release. I guess they forgot to include the hiring of Pat Summitt or the 7 foot Chinese transfer--maybe next week.

Most of Mount's recruits are guards (wonder how many are under 5 foot?) so its possible (but not probable) we won't have to sit thru another season of 25% from the 3 pt line. Here are some of the names: Kyle Lyn Cova, Mt Lebanon HS, Pitts,PA; Nicole Dudas, N Allegheny HS, Pitts,PA; Jillian Eckart, Gillmour Academy; Katie Galloway, Eastlake North HS; Jenny Kohr, Riverside HS; Nikki Montone, Sharpsville HS, PA; Melissa Morrison, Mathews HS; Melissa Stinson,Paines-ville Riverside HS; Jenna Tomaro, Mayfield HS. A number of the ladies played more than one sport in HS so if Mount BB continues on its downward spiral they can always fall back on track, volleyball or softball.

jdean

Major news release from MUC. Mount doesn't need Pat Summitt as they just announced the hiring of Mount grad, Suzy Venet, as head coach. If she coaches like she played she'll be bringing blood, sweat and tears to a program that is near rock bottom.  
I can't think of a better opportunity for Ms Venet. It will not be an overnight success story but I'd bet my bottom dollar Ms Venet will have this team contending inside five years.  
Congratulations and good luck Suzy.

Ben

congrats to the new mt. union womens basketball coach , have fun watching the football team win.

jdean

So it takes a pretty face to bring Ben back to the board. And you enjoy your football team also---lol.

jdean

Since the interest level is so high I thought I'd post the names of the new assts at MUC. Chuck Campbell, former  boys head coach for 17 yrs at a local high school, and Erica Tallo were named as Ms Venet assts.

jdean

Things are already getting better for Mount. The OAC poll by the coaches had the Raiders next to last. They're up one spot and they haven't even played one game. What a great coaching job Ms Venet!

yellstoomuch

Can someone tell me why Capitol is on both D3Hoops and the coaches poll ranked very high. They were not ranked at all at the end of last season. The beat Baldwin-Wallace once last year, and lost to everyone else that was good, and lost to several weak teams. Why are they on the list at all?