D3 Championship Belt

Started by Just Bill, January 24, 2007, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Tangible is as tangible does.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

lmitzel

Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Ralph Turner

kiko

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 16, 2020, 07:11:10 PM
TangiTGHIJGSTO!!ble

We have a winner!

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on January 16, 2020, 12:17:56 PM
I'll admit to being very new to this belt topic....but has anyone devised an idea where some of us D3 fans could pool some money together, get a nicely made belt with a D3hoops logo on it and actually make this a tangible fun thing teams carry around with them that passes from team to team?

Would teams buy into it?

Just throwing something at the wall here.

You must be new to this topic if you are being all lower casey and not trademarkymarky.  If Just Bill invites you to come admire the weasels in the petting zoo at stately Just Bill Manor, your Spidey sense should start tingling...

lmitzel

Quote from: kiko on January 17, 2020, 12:31:05 AM
Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on January 16, 2020, 12:17:56 PM
I'll admit to being very new to this belt topic....but has anyone devised an idea where some of us D3 fans could pool some money together, get a nicely made belt with a D3hoops logo on it and actually make this a tangible fun thing teams carry around with them that passes from team to team?

Would teams buy into it?

Just throwing something at the wall here.

You must be new to this topic if you are being all lower casey and not trademarkymarky.  If Just Bill invites you to come admire the weasels in the petting zoo at stately Just Bill Manor, your Spidey sense should start tingling...

To answer his question though, I feel like really early on, there was player who held The BeltTM who acknowledged ItTM in an interview. Since then, other than that Pantagraph article a couple weeks ago, I feel like the attention has been a little more sparse.

I did say something to a couple of the NCC assistant coaches before the season, only because the Oshkosh game was lined up to be (and did end up being) a game for The BeltTM. They probably thought I was being an idiot, because I haven't seen really any talk about ItTM internally in the past week. Really, NCC got The BeltTM like two years too late, because I know Alex Sorenson is a wrestling fan, and he probably would have gotten into the hoopla.
#THREEEEEEEEE

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

If there was an actual wrestling-style belt, the players would 100% be into it.  The question is how the coaches would feel and whether it would always get handed off appropriately when it changes hands.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 17, 2020, 01:10:39 PM

If there was an actual wrestling-style belt, the players would 100% be into it.  The question is how the coaches would feel and whether it would always get handed off appropriately when it changes hands.

The potential drama surrounding a handover might actually make fans linger rather than leave immediately after the final buzzer. Nothing attracts people more than the possibility of a fracas or some sort of unseemly public behavior.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 17, 2020, 02:28:34 PM

The potential drama surrounding a handover might actually make fans linger rather than leave immediately after the final buzzer. Nothing attracts people more than the possibility of a fracas or some sort of unseemly public behavior.

Which is why I'm not sure the coaches would be down with it.  They try to limit distractions during the season.  Maybe we could concoct a Belt that moves among the fans of each team?  That might be doable.

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 17, 2020, 02:28:34 PM

I'm still partial to this old idea from when I was first enlightened:
Quote from: sac on December 15, 2016, 04:59:34 PM
"Here, here's this... thing I made, go cherish it and pass it on to your next vanquisher"
#THREEEEEEEEE

smedindy

The BeltTM demands respect, always. I assume that if there was a fracas, a set-to, or a throw down, then ItTM would deem both teams unworthy until adequate penance was performed.

You know, fatted calves an all....

Gregory Sager

Quote from: smedindy on January 17, 2020, 04:32:47 PM
The BeltTM demands respect, always. I assume that if there was a fracas, a set-to, or a throw down, then ItTM would deem both teams unworthy until adequate penance was performed.

This is an ObjectTM that is based upon a professional wrestling belt, smeds. Look back through the history of this board, and you'll see constant references to sleeper holds on coaches, leaping off of a rim to do a suplex or a camel clutch on an opponent like it was a turnbuckle, and, of course, the much-beloved slam to the chops with a metal folding chair.

The BeltTM doesn't want penance in the wake of a fracas. It wants more fracas. In fact, it wants you to turn your opponent into fracassée.

sac

A real BeltTm would almost with certainty end up in the basement of some fraternity and be lost for years.

....we must do this

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The question is:

Do we engrave the entire 45 year history of The Belt onto The Belt?

lmitzel

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 18, 2020, 01:11:05 PM

The question is:

Do we engrave the entire 45 year history of The Belt onto The Belt?

Two QR code's: one linked to your most updated PDF of The BeltTM Path, and one to the map.
#THREEEEEEEEE