MBB: Little East

Started by diiih00ps, January 25, 2005, 12:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Quote from: magicman on November 20, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
ECSUalum,

Thanks for the link to the Western Connecticut-Plattsburgh game. 7express also sent me the same link earlier today and I appreciate the thoughtfulness from my friends here on the LEC board.
Any time my friend... and best of luck to the Cardinals this year!!!!

AllStar

Thursday results:

UMass-Boston hammers Suffolk 86-58.  Another win for UMB in this city "rival" series.  Gregory Young scored 31 and Carl Joseph added 21 for the Beacons.  Karl Agenor added 15 points and 24 (!) rebounds.  Suffolk never led and shot just 29% for the game.  The 1-3 Rams will look to get a win against perennially bad Wheelock on Saturday.  UMass-Boston stays home and hosts another punching bag, 1-3 Newbury.

Rhode Island College pulls away to beat Lasell 75-57.  Chris Burton scored 20 and Eric Alleyne added 17 as the Anchormen got revenge for a rare Lasell win in the series last year.  The Anchormen blew it open with a 19-6 run early in the second half to turn a 40-37 game into a 59-43 blowout and cruised from there against a Lasers team that lost several people off last year's 18-12 ECAC team.  RIC plays Brandeis at home on Saturday in the Judges second straight game vs. a Little East opponent (opened season with 78-76 loss to UMass-Dartmouth).  Lasell travels to play Nichols on Saturday.  The Bison will look for revenge, as the Lasers eliminated them in the ECAC semifinals last year after Nichols took the regular season matchup.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 20, 2014, 07:48:43 AM
Hey 7express I left a post for you over on the SUNYAC board. Check it out.  And before I forget, how about a side bet of 3 plus K's on the outcome of the Western-Plattsburgh game? The loser has to give the winner a plus K for 3 days in a row. Winner gives the loser 1 plus K for being a good sport. ;D

Ooowwweee. Betting plus k's there Magicman? Looks like we may have some type of wgaer system going when you return to the Yac boards.

Ditto to ECSUalum on a good season. I've scene the last 2 teams up close and personal ( in Miami and Orlando), with Salzillo and Garrow. Sounds like you may have something special going on this season. Best of luck

7express

14-6 LEC and me after Thursday's 2 wins.

Rapid-fire Friday:

Eastern 76-65
Plattsburgh 85-72
Endicott 65-62

Bengalsrule

Quote from: 7express on November 21, 2014, 11:14:33 AM

Rapid-fire Friday:

Eastern 76-65
Plattsburgh 85-72
Endicott 65-62

Plattsburgh by 13?  Wait til the Magic 1 sees this!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 21, 2014, 01:12:12 PM

Rapid-fire Friday:

Eastern 76-65
Plattsburgh 85-72
Endicott 65-62

Plattsburgh by 13?  Wait til the Magic 1 sees this!!!

Only 13?  That looks pretty attractive.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ECSUalum

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 21, 2014, 01:23:30 AM
Hey 7express I left a post for you over on the SUNYAC board. Check it out.  And before I forget, how about a side bet of 3 plus K's on the outcome of the Western-Plattsburgh game? The loser has to give the winner a plus K for 3 days in a row. Winner gives the loser 1 plus K for being a good sport. ;D

Ooowwweee. Betting plus k's there Magicman? Looks like we may have some type of wgaer system going when you return to the Yac boards.

Ditto to ECSUalum on a good season. I've scene the last 2 teams up close and personal ( in Miami and Orlando), with Salzillo and Garrow. Sounds like you may have something special going on this season. Best of luck

Thank You Sir :) Hope the snowmaking machines stop for a while to let the poor Buffalo city residents plow out.  Take care with the rain that is coming, hopefully everybody had shoveled off their roofs!!!

Good Luck to the Buffalo State Bengals this year!!

magicman

Rapid-fire Friday:

Eastern 76-65
Plattsburgh 85-72
Endicott 65-62

I think 7express has had a change of heart. I know there was a post that had him picking Western Connecticut beating Plattsburgh...that's how we arrived at out little wager. Yet, now he's picking my Cardinals. Sounds like a hedge to me. ??? :o

magicman

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 20, 2014, 07:22:00 PM
Quote from: magicman on November 20, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
ECSUalum,

Thanks for the link to the Western Connecticut-Plattsburgh game. 7express also sent me the same link earlier today and I appreciate the thoughtfulness from my friends here on the LEC board.
Any time my friend... and best of luck to the Cardinals this year!!!!

Good luck to your Warriors as well. After seeing them last year in the NCAA's when they played my Cardinal's and seeing the young talent they had, I feel confident that they will have another fine season. I'll root for them throughout the year along with 7express's Colonials, except, of course, when they face my Cards or another SUNYAC team..

magicman

Plattsburgh leads Western Connecticut 48-37 at the half.

The Cardinals didn't seem too affected by the open backdrops in back of the baskets at each end of the court, as my friend 7express mentioned earlier. They do have a wide open area at each end of the floor much like the field house here in Plattsburgh(which Plattsburgh doesn't use as their home court, choosing to use the older facility, Memorial Hall instead) and I can see where it would pose problems for any number of teams not used to that backdrop, but the Cardinals shot 16x33 (48.5%) from the field and more importantly they were 8x13 from behind the 3 point line (61.5%). Now the open ended area may have affected their free throw shooting as they were only 8x15 from the line. Maybe they should step back to the 3 point line for their free throws. ;D

Ezra Hodgson was the top scorer for Plattsburgh as he scored 13 points (5x7 fg, 1x1 3's, 2x2 ft). Eddie Correa had 11 points with a pair of triples shoopting 3x6 from thee field and 3x4 from the line. Xavier Thomas came off the bench to score 9 points and grab 3 rebounds in 6 minutes. Kyle Richardson also subbed in and led the team with 5 rebounds and scored 8 points in 11 minutes on the floor.

The Warriors were led by Tre'Von Perry with 6 points. A trio of Warriors had 5 points, Bobby Bynum, Jimmy Louissaint and Claudy Casseus. Luis Bridtter grabbed 6 rebounds to lead the team in that category,

The Cardinals took an early lead on a Eddie Correa 3 pointer and a pair of Hodgson jumpers made it 7-2.  The Warriors fought back to tie the game at 9-9, but the cardinals went on an 11-0 run on back to back 3's by Thomas and Richardson. Hodgson hit a pair of free throws and Thomas nailed another 3, before the Warriors scored to stop the bleeding. The rest of the period saw Plattsburgh with a lead that fluctuated between 7 and 13 points. Tony Seldon hit a layup at the buzzer for Western to narrow the lead to 11 at the break.       

Bengalsrule

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 21, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 21, 2014, 01:23:30 AM

Thank You Sir :) Hope the snowmaking machines stop for a while to let the poor Buffalo city residents plow out.  Take care with the rain that is coming, hopefully everybody had shoveled off their roofs!!!

Good Luck to the Buffalo State Bengals this year!!

Thanks. Fortunately the snow maker has spared us today. Now the rainmaker is our next concern. But thats what makes BUffalo ....BUffalo! I'll be keeping an eye on you guys. Hope to our paths cross, one day, in warmer climes!!! ;)

ECSUalum

Here are the stats from tonight's loss to Hartwick College 74-71:
                  Ecsumb         Hartwick
Field goals 30-67 44.8%   26-55 47.3%
3-point FGs 5-17 29.4%   12-23 52.2%
Free throws 6-10 60.0%   10-13 76.9%
Reb (O-D)     32 (10-22)   39 (9-30)
Turnovers        8                  15

As can be seen Hartwick shot 52% from 3 point range while ECSU shot 29%!!!!!  That was the story of the game period.
Hartwick out rebounded the Warriors 39-32
Preston had 27 point, Yarborough 11, and Brown 10. Lindo with 7 rebounds.
David Canny made his first appearance and played some excellent defense tonight against 6-9 Matt Wilson.

BTW, A really bizarre broadcast with the stream breaking over and over to the same ridiculous commercial right in the middle of action, while during time outs they stayed on the court ??? ??? Never seen anything like it before, talk about frustrating!! :o

AllStar

Good win for Western!  That victory sure helps the Colonials and the conference as a whole.  Plattsburgh was doomed by poor free throw shooting and 29 turnovers.  Plymouth got smashed by Endicott.  ECSUalum already covered the Warriors' game well.

AllStar

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 21, 2014, 09:53:23 PM
Here are the stats from tonight's loss to Hartwick College 74-71:
                  Ecsumb         Hartwick
Field goals 30-67 44.8%   26-55 47.3%
3-point FGs 5-17 29.4%   12-23 52.2%
Free throws 6-10 60.0%   10-13 76.9%
Reb (O-D)     32 (10-22)   39 (9-30)
Turnovers        8                  15

As can be seen Hartwick shot 52% from 3 point range while ECSU shot 29%!!!!!  That was the story of the game period.
Hartwick out rebounded the Warriors 39-32
Preston had 27 point, Yarborough 11, and Brown 10. Lindo with 7 rebounds.
David Canny made his first appearance and played some excellent defense tonight against 6-9 Matt Wilson.

BTW, A really bizarre broadcast with the stream breaking over and over to the same ridiculous commercial right in the middle of action, while during time outs they stayed on the court ??? ??? Never seen anything like it before, talk about frustrating!! :o

Sounds like a bad broadcast!  Was it a "UStream" generated one?

magicman

Here's a copy of my post from the SUNYAC board.

Plattsburgh falls to Western Connecticut by a final score of 89-84

This was a hard game to watch. Live stats were screwed up almost the entire night and the webcast was freezing up throughout the 2nd half. Did not enjoy watching this contest. Numerous times when a score occurred the wrong total was put up or it was given to the wrong team. On several occasions I watched Plattsburgh, down by 2 points, make a free throw and have it credited to Western. By the time the mistake was corrected both team had scored again, the video had frozen up and you wouldn't have a clue if it was a 1, 2, 3, or 5, point lead. never knew for the entire final 10 minutes of the game who was ahead or what margin they were ahead by. When a time out occurred the camera would focus on the scoreboard and you would get the actual score. Seconds later the live stats would credit the next points to the wrong team and it was Deja Vu all over again.   

The enjoyment factor was knocked down another couple of notches when Plattsburgh lost a double digit halftime lead and came out on the short end of the scoreboard. The Colonials came out of the break and quickly narrowed the gap of 11 points down to 54-51 with 13:28 left to play. Back and forth action over the next few minutes until finally Western went ahead for the 1st time in the game on a 3 pointer by Phil Starks to make it 61-59 with 11 minutes remaining. A short time later a pair of free throws by Luis Bridtter gave the Colonials their largest lead of the night at 67-61. A Shamoy McIntosh layup brought the Cardinals back into the lead at 72-71 and 4 more lead changes would follow. Up by a 78-75 margin with 4:33 left to play the Cardinals fell victim to a slight variation of officiating known as home cooking. The Colonials scored 14 points to 6 for Plattsburgh to end the game. 12 of the points Western scored came from the free throw line as they made 7 trips to the stripe to only 2 for the Cardinals. It is what is and of course I'm probably a little biased but this game was won by the Colonials because of the free throw attempts they had in the final 4:20 of the game and the lack of free throw attempts that Plattsburgh had. Several bipartisan fans that I know have communicated with me since the game ended and all 3 of the guys commented on the obvious inequities that took place in the game. However the bottom line is that the Cardinals did not handle the press all that well. They were missing their #1 ball handler, as starting point guard Mike Mitchell didn't play tonight. That would have made a considerable difference in the amount of turnovers that Plattsburgh committed. 29 TO's may very well be the highest number this team has had in at least 3 years if not longer.

The Cardinals got balanced scoring as 5 guys hit double figures tonight. Shamoy McIntosh was the game's high scorer as he led the team with 16 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds and a pair of 3 pointers. Kyle Richardson once again provided a big lift off the bench as he came in and scored 15 points grabbed 6 rebounds, had 2 blocks, 2 assists and a steal. Kyle was 4x4 from long distance as well.  Eddie Correa had 14 points with 3 triples, 2 steals, 2 assists and 2 rebounds. Ezra Hodgson had 13 points and 6 rebounds, while Xavier Thomas also scored 13 points, including 2 three pointers and led the team with 7 boards.

Telling stats... the Cards outshot the Colonials from the field 44.6% (29x65) to 42,4% (28x66)... from three point land 50% (12x24) to 17.6% (3x17)... outrebounded Western 48-40 and had 16 assists to 12 for the Colonials.

Western went to the line 41 times to 29 for the Cardinals. Western shot 73.2% (30x41) from the stripe while the Cardinals shot 51.9% (14x27). The Colonials had 20 turnovers, the Cardinals had 29.

The Colonials were Bobby Bynum with 15 points, 7 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and a block. Jeremiah Washington had 11 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals and a block while Phil Starks subbed in and scored 11 points, had 7 boards, 5 steals and 2 assists. Tre'Von Perry added 10 points and Jimmy Louissaint had 9. Luis Bridtter scored 8 points and  was the game's top rebounder with 9 boards.

While I'm not happy with the outcome or the officiating I have to give Western Connecticut credit for opening up the 2nd half and taking it to the Cardinals. They immediately climbed back into this game when it would have been quite easy to fall further behind. Plattsburgh had kind of coasted through their first 2 games, turning it on and off at will. Tonight they got caught up in the press and the loss of their point guard put added pressure on other players to perform duties that they weren't accustomed to doing. Western took advantage of that and made it work to their benefit. Congratulations to the Colonials and to my buddy, 7 express. (By the way plus K the first) This win will look good on Western's resume and it will only look better as the season progresses. The Colonials should be in the hunt along with Eastern and Rhode Island for the LEC crown. Plattsburgh will end up with a solid resume as well, I believe, and this loss will serve as a learning experience that will come in handy down the road. Coach Curle will make sure of that.