MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Magicman From LEC thread:
re Plattsburgh State @ Western Connecticut,  Friday 11-21-2014
So if you get the chance to watch this game Friday night I would definitely recommend  doing so. It would appear that there is no webcast of the game unless I'm missing something. If you or anyone (are you listening 7express?) know of a video link please let me know here on this board or by a PM.

Check out, http://portal.stretchinternet.com/lec/
It is showing the referenced game will be video streamed and will have Live Stats.  Only issue is that there will be no play by play, (too bad as the Western guy is great), but will have audio and if like the TCNJ game will be in HD

Bengalsrule

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 20, 2014, 05:21:44 PM
Magicman From LEC thread:
re Plattsburgh State @ Western Connecticut,  Friday 11-21-2014
So if you get the chance to watch this game Friday night I would definitely recommend  doing so. It would appear that there is no webcast of the game unless I'm missing something. If you or anyone (are you listening 7express?) know of a video link please let me know here on this board or by a PM.

Check out, http://portal.stretchinternet.com/lec/
It is showing the referenced game will be video streamed and will have Live Stats.  Only issue is that there will be no play by play, (too bad as the Western guy is great), but will have audio and if like the TCNJ game will be in HD

Well gosh darn it. I'm snowed in ( and will be snowed in tomorrow night also) so it looks like I'll be tuning in also for this SUNYAC/LEC battle.  Go Cards!!!  ;)

P.s.  As far as UNE basketball. Back in the BENGALS last Championship season (2010-11), I had the pleasure of going to Worcester Mass for a tourney involving Buff State and Elms. Ed Silva (current UNE coach) was the coach of Elms. I remember the warm up , which was the most intense warm up of a college basketball team that I had ever seen. Elms went thru some kind of ritual (think "Haka" New Zealand Rugby) that had to be the most intense pre-game ritual that I had ever seen. And then they played like they were possessed. It was the toughest victory of our "Sweet 16 " season. You couldn't help but admire how well Silva had his prepared, and the class they showed after the game which went to double OT! There are few coaches/teams that I have seen that I have respected like that Elms team. Silva left following that season for UNE.

All I can say is that the those teams in the CCC better watch out. I'm predicting that UNE 1-24 season of last year (lone win vs Western Conn), will be a distant memory come mid February. That guy is a winner!!! ;)

Bengalsrule

For those of us who have complained about the weather is too hot or rain ruined my picnic. I give you this...
Family kept in touch with stranded motorist in the hours before his death
Tiffany Lankes - News Staff Reporter 
Updated Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:17 PM EST

Tap image to browse
1 of 1
Donald Abate made a 110-commute daily to his job in Batavia.
Donald J. Abate drove 110 miles each day to and from his job as a corrections officer in Batavia.

He loved his job, and some people thought he should move closer.

But he wanted to live in Hamburg near his parents, who are in their 70s. He was their only child, and he looked out for them.

As Abate drove home Monday night, the weather did not seem too bad. He left his job at midnight. At most, he thought, he might be a little delayed.

"He called and said, 'I'll probably be home a little late. The weather's not good,' " said Jackie Abate, his wife.

Emergency authorities found him late Tuesday dead in his car, which was buried in snow off Broadway in Alden.

His cause of death is unknown and it's being investigated.

His family is concerned that state troopers apparently turned away a AAA tow truck that was coming to help him.

"Our heart goes out to his family," the State Police said in a statement. "As is with any ongoing death investigation all of the circumstances will be reviewed."

Abate's family kept in steady contact with him for hours throughout the ordeal.

At about 1 a.m. he called his wife to tell her he pulled over at a car wash in Alden because of low visibility.

About an hour later, he called back to tell her we was headed to a nearby Tops.

"He said he didn't want to stay there," Jackie said. "He was trying to figure out where he could be where they could find him."

He never got to the Tops, though. His KIA became stuck in a ditch trying to leave the car wash. He called his wife again to tell her he called AAA and that they were on their way to help him.

They never showed up. Abate made multiple calls to 911 for help.

"We were calling them, he was calling them," said his father James Abate. "They said they were coming."

The last time the family spoke with Abate was at about 11 a.m. Tuesday. Then their calls went directly to voice mail, and Abate stopped responding to their text messages.

"We started calling everyone," Jackie Abate said.

They called 911, the State Police and tried to reach emergency dispatchers in Alden.

The family also called AAA, and that's when they learned the tow truck had been turned away because of the driving ban.

James said he called 911, and a dispatcher in Hamburg told him he could not transfer him to the appropriate jurisdiction.

The family made contact with troopers and stayed in touch throughout the night Tuesday. By then Abate had been in the vehicle about 24 hours.

At about 4 a.m. Wednesday, Jackie received the last call. The trooper told her to come to the door. They struggled to open it because it was blocked by a pile of snow.

"Don didn't make it," she said. "They found the vehicle covered."

Now, the family must wait for the snow to clear to get out and make funeral arrangements.

"I lost the love of my life," she added. "I just love him very much and I wish he would have stayed in Batavia."

email: tlankes@buffnews.com

Copyright The Buffalo News, All Rights Reserved 2014

magicman

There are 6 games on tap today involving teams from the SUNYAC.   

Utica     vs  New Paltz State        1:00 PM   
Chuck Resler Tournament @ Rochester, NY

Hawks may have found a team they can beat. Utica didn't look good against Cortland the other day.  The Hawks, however haven't looked good either They are favored by 4 points but I think Utica wins this one by that 4 point margin, 75-71. 

St. Lawrence   at  Oswego State        5:30 PM   

Lakers should be a handful for the Saints. SLU a 9 point underdog but this one could be worse. I'll take the Lakers by a 75-64 score.

Farmingdale State  vs  Cortland State        6:00 PM
@ Ithaca, NY

Cortland looked good in their opening game and is a 7 point favorite over Farmingdale. The Rams did beat Elmira, who beat Oswego but they lost to Hartwick by 17 and Oswego beat Hartwick by 10. I think the Red Dragons pull off the win here by a 73-67 score.

Wilmington  vs  Geneseo State        6:00 PM   
Stephanie Tubbs Jones Memorial Tournament @ Cleveland, Ohio

Geneseo has yet to take the court as their opening game was cancelled due to all the snow that has hit western NY. The oddsmakers have made them a 3 point underdog in this game against the Quakers but I like the Blue Knights with their All American Gordon Lyons. The Knights return a lot of talent off last year's NCAA team and I think they take this one by a 78-71 final.

SUNY-Cobleskill   vs  Oneonta State        6:00 PM   
Oneonta Mayor's Cup Tournament @ Hartwick

These Red Dragons should be pretty high after opening the season with a win at  National Runner-Up Williams. Hopefully they won't have a letdown here as they step down in class to face the Fighting Tigers from Cobleskill.  Point spread has the Red Dragons winning by 13 points.  It should be something like 72-58.

Plattsburgh State  at  Western Connecticut        7:00 PM

This one is the featured game of the day as the Cardinals take on the Colonials with a chance at some revenge. It was just over 4 years ago on 11-19-10 when the teams met in an early season tournament at SUNY-Purchase. The Colonials rode their top gun at the time, Daquan Brooks, to an 86-80 win that day. Both teams come into this year with high hopes as the Cardinals look to get a 3rd straight NCAA bid after a Sweet 16 appearance last year. Western continues to improve off a down year 2 years ago and figures to be near the top of the LEC conference once again. Plattsburgh opened the season with a pair of wins to capture the Lycoming Tip Off Tournament and Western's only game has been a 91-73 win over visiting The College of New Jersey. One of these teams will walk off the court tonight with a first blemish on their record.  The oddsmakers have made the home team Colonials a 9 point underdog. That sounds about right. If the Colonials decide to run with the Cardinals and get into a track meet however I think it will be a larger margin. I'll take the Cardinals by an 84-74 final.     

7express

Obviously I haven't seen Plattsburgh's roster but the Colonials are guard-oriented as they don't have a single player taller than 6"5.  I figured their best chance of winning is if they got into a track meet and sped up the Cardinals.  Don't play well in a half-court offense and God-forbid if Plattsburgh is a tall team.

One other thing to keep an eye on Magic, there's a big depth perception at the Feldman area.  They have behind the basket seating but only use them for the Globetrotters and leave them closed for other games.  Road teams in the LEC have trouble shooting there and they play there every season, so for a team like the Cardinals who doesn't go there yearly, may take them a while to get used to the odd-ball court arrangement.  There's so much room behind the basket that they usually have to replace the game ball in the middle of the game.

magicman

Quote from: 7express on November 21, 2014, 05:58:04 PM
Obviously I haven't seen Plattsburgh's roster but the Colonials are guard-oriented as they don't have a single player taller than 6"5.  I figured their best chance of winning is if they got into a track meet and sped up the Cardinals.  Don't play well in a half-court offense and God-forbid if Plattsburgh is a tall team.

One other thing to keep an eye on Magic, there's a big depth perception at the Feldman area.  They have behind the basket seating but only use them for the Globetrotters and leave them closed for other games.  Road teams in the LEC have trouble shooting there and they play there every season, so for a team like the Cardinals who doesn't go there yearly, may take them a while to get used to the odd-ball court arrangement.  There's so much room behind the basket that they usually have to replace the game ball in the middle of the game.

Interesting 7.  We aren't especially tall either. The Cardinals have a bunch of quick guards in the 6'2 to 6'4 range and most of them can get to the rim in a hurry. No one will stay with Jordan Moody and Xavier Thomas is a 6'2" leaper that has already been a human highlight reel with his dunks in the games of last season and this year. If the Cardinals can't knock down their 3's (and they have about 6 good 3 point shooters, then they will just take it to the rim. Running with them will be tough to keep up as they go 10 deep and 13 deep if they have to. They can tire you out if they go that route. Two starters went out with foul trouble against Lycoming. The 2 replacements off the bench proceeded to lead the team in scoring. I'm not sure, but the Cardinals may be the most athletic team in the country. Certainly one of the them at the very least. Almost game time. Can't wait.

magicman

Plattsburgh leads Western Connecticut 48-37 at the half.

The Cardinals didn't seem too affected by the open backdrops in back of the baskets at each end of the court, as my friend 7express mentioned earlier. They do have a wide open area at each end of the floor much like the field house here in Plattsburgh(which Plattsburgh doesn't use as their home court, choosing to use the older facility, Memorial Hall instead) and I can see where it would pose problems for any number of teams not used to that backdrop, but the Cardinals shot 16x33 (48.5%) from the field and more importantly they were 8x13 from behind the 3 point line (61.5%). Now the open ended area may have affected their free throw shooting as they were only 8x15 from the line. Maybe they should step back to the 3 point line for their free throws. ;D

Ezra Hodgson was the top scorer for Plattsburgh as he scored 13 points (5x7 fg, 1x1 3's, 2x2 ft). Eddie Correa had 11 points with a pair of triples shoopting 3x6 from thee field and 3x4 from the line. Xavier Thomas came off the bench to score 9 points and grab 3 rebounds in 6 minutes. Kyle Richardson also subbed in and led the team with 5 rebounds and scored 8 points in 11 minutes on the floor.

The Warriors were led by Tre'Von Perry with 6 points. A trio of Warriors had 5 points, Bobby Bynum, Jimmy Louissaint and Claudy Casseus. Luis Bridtter grabbed 6 rebounds to lead the team in that category,

The Cardinals took an early lead on a Eddie Correa 3 pointer and a pair of Hodgson jumpers made it 7-2.  The Warriors fought back to tie the game at 9-9, but the cardinals went on an 11-0 run on back to back 3's by Thomas and Richardson. Hodgson hit a pair of free throws and Thomas nailed another 3, before the Warriors scored to stop the bleeding. The rest of the period saw Plattsburgh with a lead that fluctuated between 7 and 13 points. Tony Seldon hit a layup at the buzzer for Western to narrow the lead to 11 at the break.       

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 21, 2014, 05:20:03 PM

Results so far.....

Utica    84  vs  New Paltz State   72   

St. Lawrence 58 vs  Oswego State 62        

Farmingdale State  54 vs  Cortland State   75     

Wilmington  83 vs  Geneseo State     81   

SUNY-Cobleskill  52  vs  Oneonta State     90      

and...

I'll let the magic 1 report on this 1!

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 21, 2014, 09:05:54 PM
Quote from: magicman on November 21, 2014, 05:20:03 PM

Results so far.....

Utica    84  vs  New Paltz State   72   

St. Lawrence 58 vs  Oswego State 62        

Farmingdale State  54 vs  Cortland State   75     

Wilmington  83 vs  Geneseo State     81   

SUNY-Cobleskill  52  vs  Oneonta State     90      

and...

I'll let the magic 1 report on this 1!

Apologies to Magicman. I'm not sure how the last post was credited to Magicman.

magicman

Plattsburgh falls to Western Connecticut by a final score of 89-84

This was a hard game to watch. Live stats were screwed up almost the entire night and the webcast was freezing up throughout the 2nd half. Did not enjoy watching this contest. Numerous times when a score occurred the wrong total was put up or it was given to the wrong team. On several occasions I watched Plattsburgh, down by 2 points, make a free throw and have it credited to Western. By the time the mistake was corrected both team had scored again, the video had frozen up and you wouldn't have a clue if it was a 1, 2, 3, or 5, point lead. never knew for the entire final 10 minutes of the game who was ahead or what margin they were ahead by. When a time out occurred the camera would focus on the scoreboard and you would get the actual score. Seconds later the live stats would credit the next points to the wrong team and it was Deja Vu all over again.   

The enjoyment factor was knocked down another couple of notches when Plattsburgh lost a double digit halftime lead and came out on the short end of the scoreboard. The Colonials came out of the break and quickly narrowed the gap of 11 points down to 54-51 with 13:28 left to play. Back and forth action over the next few minutes until finally Western went ahead for the 1st time in the game on a 3 pointer by Phil Starks to make it 61-59 with 11 minutes remaining. A short time later a pair of free throws by Luis Bridtter gave the Colonials their largest lead of the night at 67-61. A Shamoy McIntosh layup brought the Cardinals back into the lead at 72-71 and 4 more lead changes would follow. Up by a 78-75 margin with 4:33 left to play the Cardinals fell victim to a slight variation of officiating known as home cooking. The Colonials scored 14 points to 6 for Plattsburgh to end the game. 12 of the points Western scored came from the free throw line as they made 7 trips to the stripe to only 2 for the Cardinals. It is what is and of course I'm probably a little biased but this game was won by the Colonials because of the free throw attempts they had in the final 4:20 of the game and the lack of free throw attempts that Plattsburgh had. Several bipartisan fans that I know have communicated with me since the game ended and all 3 of the guys commented on the obvious inequities that took place in the game. However the bottom line is that the Cardinals did not handle the press all that well. They were missing their #1 ball handler, as starting point guard Mike Mitchell didn't play tonight. That would have made a considerable difference in the amount of turnovers that Plattsburgh committed. 29 TO's may very well be the highest number this team has had in at least 3 years if not longer.

The Cardinals got balanced scoring as 5 guys hit double figures tonight. Shamoy McIntosh was the game's high scorer as he led the team with 16 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds and a pair of 3 pointers. Kyle Richardson once again provided a big lift off the bench as he came in and scored 15 points grabbed 6 rebounds, had 2 blocks, 2 assists and a steal. Kyle was 4x4 from long distance as well.  Eddie Correa had 14 points with 3 triples, 2 steals, 2 assists and 2 rebounds. Ezra Hodgson had 13 points and 6 rebounds, while Xavier Thomas also scored 13 points, including 2 three pointers and led the team with 7 boards.

Telling stats... the Cards outshot the Colonials from the field 44.6% (29x65) to 42,4% (28x66)... from three point land 50% (12x24) to 17.6% (3x17)... outrebounded Western 48-40 and had 16 assists to 12 for the Colonials.

Western went to the line 41 times to 29 for the Cardinals. Western shot 73.2% (30x41) from the stripe while the Cardinals shot 51.9% (14x27). The Colonials had 20 turnovers, the Cardinals had 29.

The Colonials were Bobby Bynum with 15 points, 7 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and a block. Jeremiah Washington had 11 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals and a block while Phil Starks subbed in and scored 11 points, had 7 boards, 5 steals and 2 assists. Tre'Von Perry added 10 points and Jimmy Louissaint had 9. Luis Bridtter scored 8 points and  was the game's top rebounder with 9 boards.

While I'm not happy with the outcome or the officiating I have to give Western Connecticut credit for opening up the 2nd half and taking it to the Cardinals. They immediately climbed back into this game when it would have been quite easy to fall further behind. Plattsburgh had kind of coasted through their first 2 games, turning it on and off at will. Tonight they got caught up in the press and the loss of their point guard put added pressure on other players to perform duties that they weren't accustomed to doing. Western took advantage of that and made it work to their benefit. Congratulations to the Colonials and to my buddy, 7 express. (By the way plus K the first) This win will look good on Western's resume and it will only look better as the season progresses. The Colonials should be in the hunt along with Eastern and Rhode Island for the LEC crown. Plattsburgh will end up with a solid resume as well, I believe, and this loss will serve as a learning experience that will come in handy down the road. Coach Curle will make sure of that.                           

magicman

Games on tap for Saturday 11-22-14

New Paltz State  vs  Gordon        1:00 PM   
Chuck Resler Tournament @ Rochester, NY

New Paltz tries once again to get their first win of the season. And once again they are the underdogs, this time by a 5 point margin. Gordon also is winless but has played tougher competition. I think the Fighting Scots will walk off the floor with a 72-65 victory.

St. Lawrence   @     Brockport State        2:00 PM

The Saints played Oswego State tough yesterday, in their opening game of the season. They hung around despite falling behind by 17 points with 7:20 left in the game. They fought back to get within 4 points losing 62-58. The Golden Eagles are 0-2 losing a tough game to   
Rhode Island before dropping a not so close game to Roanoke. I think Brockport, an 11 point favorite, will get their initial win of the season today 75-67.

Eastern Connecticut     @   Oneonta State          2:00 PM     
Mayor's Cup Hosted by Hartwick College @ Oneonta, NY

This one should be a good game and will tell us a lot about the Red Dragons and where they might rank in the SUNYAC pecking order. The Warriors from Eastern Connecticut will be at or near the top of the LEC conference this year. They are currently 3-1 after suffering a setback yesterday at the hands of Hartwick. The oddsmakers have made Eastern a 6 point favorite. I'd like to pick Oneonta here but I think that the Warriors will come away with the W. Eastern Connecticut 76 Oneonta 71, but I sure hope I'm wrong on this one. 

Trinity (Conn.)     @   Cortland State        4:00 PM   
Cortaca Classic   

This is the 3rd game involving a NESCAC opponent with a SUNYAC team. Each conference has won a game. The 2-0 Red Dragons are a slight 5 point favorite over the 2-1 Bantams. I'm going with Cortland here to keep their record unblemished. They win it by a final score of 69-65.

Geneseo State    vs   Rose-Hulman        5:00 PM   
Stephanie Tubbs Jones Memorial Tournament @ Cleveland, Ohio

This matchup of 2 NCAA teams from last season is the featured game of the day.
The Blue Knights lost a heartbreaker yesterday falling to Wilmington by an 83-81 score. Rose-Hulman also dropped a close game to the host team in this tournament, Case Western Reserve, by a 79-74 margin. Expect another close game today from 2 NCAA tournament teams. The Engineers have been made a slight 1 point favorite but I think that Geneseo will get the win here. Gordon Lyons opened his senior year with a monstrous double double of 28 points and 15 rebounds. The Knights should have went to him inside for their final shot to tie the game but instead took a chance at a 3 pointer for the win and it didn't go down. I look for the Knights to win this one by a score of 80-75.   

Games that were cancelled or postponed due to all the snow in western NY:

Fredonia   @  Medaille       Postponed

Pine Manor  @  Buffalo State    Cancelled

Potsdam State  @  Hilbert    Postponed

magicman

magicman

Brockport leads St Lawrence 47-42 with 10 minutes left in the game.

Oneonta trails Eastern Connecticut 78-62 with 5:29  to go.

magicman

Final scores:

Brockport squeaks by St. Lawrence by a 66-63 score

Oneonta hangs with Eastern Connecticut but a 15-4 run early in the 2nd half dooms the Red Dragons. They lose by a final of 101-78 and fall from the unbeaten ranks.

magicman

Cortland leads Trinity College 35-29 at the half. Lamard Herron with 11 points to lead the Red Dragons. Blair Estarfaa and Shayne Martinez both with 7 points.

Trinity's George Papadeas has 15 points and 6 rebounds to pace the Bantams.

Trinity opened up with an 8-0 lead before the Red Dragons found their stride. They caught the Bantams at 12 apiece with 13 minutes to go in the half. They were down 10-5 when they went on an 18-2 run to grab a commanding 23-12 advantage. Trinity cut it to a 5 point margin at 23-18 with 6 unanswered points but Cortland built it back to double figures before settling on the 6 point halftime edge.