Mid-Atlantic Region

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, August 29, 2017, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejay

Would love to see W&L vs. Gettysburg, if only for the chance that the VA school's namesake can finally get a Gettysburg win after 150+ years.

LetteroftheLaw

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 11, 2019, 02:06:22 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-men/d3/2019

Hopkins headed to Catholic, for a first round match up with John Jay. Catholic to face Conn. College in the other tilt.*
Messiah travels to NY to play Framingham St., to play the winner of SUNY-Oneanta and Babson.
The Dips host and play PS-Harrisburg, facing the winner of Hobart and Montclair St.
Close-by regional neighbors Chris. Newport host Eastern in the first round, and play the winner of Swat v. Roanoke.
W&L host NC Weslyan, setting up against the winner of G-burg vs. Oglethorpe.

Very interesting that the committee rewarded Catholic with hosting but gave them a really tough first round matchup while Hopkins gets arguably the worst team in the tournament in John Jay.

Also interesting how CNU gets to host over JHU and gets to play three other at large teams , that while good, are very beatable.

NokeAlum15

Tell me about the Garnets?  Style of play?  I see they've beat a few tourney teams.  TIA
1993 National Quarterfinalist
Six NCAA Appearances
Nine-Time ODAC Champions
Six-Time VISA Champions

LetteroftheLaw

Quote from: LetteroftheLaw on November 11, 2019, 02:18:15 PM

Hopkins headed to Catholic, for a first round match up with John Jay. Catholic to face Conn. College in the other tilt.*
Messiah travels to NY to play Framingham St., to play the winner of SUNY-Oneanta and Babson.
The Dips host and play PS-Harrisburg, facing the winner of Hobart and Montclair St.
Close-by regional neighbors Chris. Newport host Eastern in the first round, and play the winner of Swat v. Roanoke.

Very interesting that the committee rewarded Catholic with hosting but gave them a really tough first round matchup while Hopkins gets arguably the worst team in the tournament in John Jay.

Also interesting how CNU gets to host over JHU and gets to play three other at large teams , that while good, are very beatable.

Sorry two other at large *** I forgot eastern won their conference.

Caz Bombers

Hop couldn't host because their women are hosting and have priority....if they both make sectionals, then the JHU men get priority.

LetteroftheLaw

Quote from: Caz Bombers on November 11, 2019, 02:20:55 PM

Hop couldn't host because their women are hosting and have priority....if they both make sectionals, then the JHU men get priority.

Okay, that makes much more sense. I do think catholic has done enough to earn the right to host and they also have a brand new facility that has to be one of the nicest in the nation. Should be an exciting weekend in DC!

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 11, 2019, 02:07:33 PM
I still think it's a little nuts the Garnets get in, having failed to finish in the top 5 in the CC. But I get that the numbers don't lie.

::) Preach

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: LetteroftheLaw on November 11, 2019, 02:32:40 PM

Okay, that makes much more sense. I do think catholic has done enough to earn the right to host and they also have a brand new facility that has to be one of the nicest in the nation. Should be an exciting weekend in DC!

Hosting is great for them but tough draw with Conn College in the first round and potential of JHU in the next round. If they somehow survive opening weekend at home it might actually get easier in the Sweet 16 for them.  ;D

franklyspeaking

For Catholic it will all come down to their defense.  At one point in the season they were very stingy on giving up goals but that changed.  You can score on Catholic and their outside backs can be beaten.  You will need to score against them however, as they have shown they are very capable of scoring.

LetteroftheLaw

Quote from: franklyspeaking on November 11, 2019, 03:38:03 PM
For Catholic it will all come down to their defense.  At one point in the season they were very stingy on giving up goals but that changed.  You can score on Catholic and their outside backs can be beaten.  You will need to score against them however, as they have shown they are very capable of scoring.

While I agree Catholics success in the tournament will be dependent on keeping the opposition off the scoreboard, I disagree that attacking their outside backs are the way to beat them. They've been very strong stopping teams in the run of play (14 shut outs including 5 of their last 6 games), but they are vulnerable on set pieces. That's is how a weak Moravian opponent kept the semi final somewhat interesting. If catholic limits set piece chances I think they can have a lot of success.

Christan Shirk

MID-ATLANTIC REGION - NCAA REGIONAL RANKINGS - November 11, 2019

Rank

School
. Div. III .
Record
. Div. III .
SOS

. R-v-R .
. Overall .
Record
. Prev. .
Rank
Johns Hopkins
16-2-1
6-2-1
16-2-1
Franklin and Marshall
16-3-0
6-2-0
16-3-0
Messiah
16-2-2
5-2-0
16-2-2
Swarthmore
11-3-3
2-3-1
11-3-3
Gettysburg
11-7-1
4-5-1
11-7-1
Catholic
18-2-1
4-1-1
18-2-1
Dickinson
10-8-0
4-7-0
10-8-0
Haverford
9-6-3
2-4-2
9-6-3
Lycoming
13-7-0
1-5-0
13-7-0
Elizabethtown
11-6-2
1-5-0
11-6-2
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Hopkins92

Yeah, I should've mentioned that, as I knew there'd be questions.

On top of this success, Women's Field Hockey made the tourney and the Women's Volleyball team finished off an undefeated regular season, as well.

Yeah Jays!

I posted in the Big Dance thread, they clearly got rewarded with a classic bid steal'er in John Jay, but Catholic is a VERY tough out, particular on their home field.

LetteroftheLaw

Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 11, 2019, 04:18:10 PM

Rank

School
. Div. III .
Record
. Div. III .
SOS

. R-v-R .
. Overall .
Record
. Prev. .
Rank
Johns Hopkins
16-2-1
6-2-1
16-2-1
Franklin and Marshall
16-3-0
6-2-0
16-3-0
Messiah
16-2-2
5-2-0
16-2-2
Swarthmore
11-3-3
2-3-1
11-3-3
Gettysburg
11-7-1
4-5-1
11-7-1
Catholic
18-2-1
4-1-1
18-2-1
Dickinson
10-8-0
4-7-0
10-8-0
Haverford
9-6-3
2-4-2
9-6-3
Lycoming
13-7-0
1-5-0
13-7-0
Elizabethtown
11-6-2
1-5-0
11-6-2

Boy does the NCAA love the strength of schedule in the Centennial conference....

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 11, 2019, 04:18:10 PM

Rank

School
. Div. III .
Record
. Div. III .
SOS

. R-v-R .
. Overall .
Record
. Prev. .
Rank
Johns Hopkins
16-2-1
6-2-1
16-2-1
Franklin and Marshall
16-3-0
6-2-0
16-3-0
Messiah
16-2-2
5-2-0
16-2-2
Swarthmore
11-3-3
2-3-1
11-3-3
Gettysburg
11-7-1
4-5-1
11-7-1
Catholic
18-2-1
4-1-1
18-2-1
Dickinson
10-8-0
4-7-0
10-8-0
Haverford
9-6-3
2-4-2
9-6-3
Lycoming
13-7-0
1-5-0
13-7-0
Elizabethtown
11-6-2
1-5-0
11-6-2

I am not surprised with the top 6 or to even see Haverford ahead of Lycoming, as that was a toss up, but I am surprised to see Dickinson ahead of both Haverford and Lycoming. I did not see that coming with them being 1 game away from being a .500 record and Lycoming having the H2H result. The SOS and 4 ranked wins outweighed the win % and blemishes. 

Hopkins92

Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 11, 2019, 10:50:37 PM
I have gotten some insight into some of the surprising selections for pod hosts.

As has been mentioned/explained by others, the reason Amherst, Messiah, Chicago and Johns Hopkins are not hosting the pods in which they are the top seed is because their women's teams are also the top seed in their pods, and following the alternating hosting priority schedule, the women have hosting priority. No big news there.

In past years, as long as geography didn't point the committee in a different direction, the second seed in the pod would typically be chosen to host in these situations. This brought on consistent feedback that when the top two seeds advanced to the second round as expected, it was unfair that the top seed that had earned the right to host, not only didn't get to host, but now had to play at the home of a potentially very strong second round opponent. In other words, the strongest challenger to the top seed advancing to the Sweet 16 was being given the advantage it hadn't earned to use against the team that actually deserved it.

In response to this feedback, the committee this year selected the third seeds in these pod to host, thus making the likely second round match a neutral game.  That doesn't completely make up for the lost hosting advantage, but at least it doesn't hand that advantage to their more likely second round opponent.  This is why Keene State, Oneonta State, Hope and Catholic are hosting pods.

My initial thoughts/observations are as follows:
• In general and on first thought, this seems like a sensible thing to do.  It's nice to try not to penalize a team just because their women's team is also extremely good.
• The strongest challenger in a pod may not actually be who the NCAA's selection criteria says it is.  The third seed by their criteria might actual be the top seeds' biggest threat, so this approach might now always be the better for the top seed. For example, opinion may vary on whether third seed Oneonta State or second seed Babson is the better team and the team with the better chance to stop Messiah from advancing.
• In strong pods with three relatively strong teams, this doesn't make much or any difference for the top seed.  However, it now unfairly helps the third seed have a better chance against the second seed in round one.  Since this is about fairness, is it fair that Ohio Wesleyan has to play at host Hope to open the tournament?  Is it fair that Catholic's chances of advancing got such an unearned/undeserved boost?

Just to make sure folks on this thread saw this. VERY interesting nugget about the #3 seed hosting where the top seeds have conflicts.

While I'm psyched the games this weekend are at Catholic, for selfish proximity reasons, having to beat Catholic in DC is no small challenge. I get that there's no perfect solution, but you'd almost want to completely level things out and play at the 4 seed if they are trying to avoid tipping the scales or rewarding the neither the 2 or 3 seed.