MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denny McKinney

Well, Well Hopefan. Glad I brought up a subject that you cared to comment on. I'm glad your enjoying retirement. Now you can relax and spend time with the Family. Enjoy yourself Big Guy!

Yjak my Friend. Link me to all that has been said about me. FC Homer, Over Protective or even AARedhead. Just don't pin that one on me.

I have an exciting year of basketball to look forward to. My God son will be an 8 th grade PG at Sullivan. Plus, the enjoyment of watching my nephew Ryan playing JV ball. Just two years after having a tumor removed from his brain stem. Like his Papa, a two time survivor. And, following Brother's Sullivan Eagles. Might even take in a game of the SIU-E Cougars. Where my niece has just moved into dorms for her freshmen year.

There is Life after the SLIAC. But, I'll see you my friend at our annual game. #PrayersforFerguson

Denny McKinney

Having read the new Commisoners bio, my earlier statement was wrong of me to post. She is, by education, working her way towards the qualifications you look for. She does lack coaching experience. But I don't know that Will had any.

So considering the rankings of the SLIAC, in most sports, we can't be any worse. The only way to go is up. So I guess what I'm trying to say is give the young lady a chance. Her youthful ideas may be what is needed.

Never afraid to admit a mistake. Good Luck to her.

I do know Jerry Pollard the new referee assignor. His brother Terry is also a Ref and played for Dad at MoBapt. Jerry has experience calling big DI games. I think he will bring in some new faces.

Denny McKinney

JoeVegas - If you still check in on this site. Could you update us on where Austin  Guinn landed this year. I know Tucker and Chandler returned to FU. Was just curious.

y_jack_lok

Even though I have not seen an official announcement (did I miss it?) if you look at this link the new commissioner's name is there: http://sliac.org/information/Conf_Info/Directory/conf_staff.

Denny McKinney

Yjak - I'm not 100%, but I believe the sliac lost it's SID, also. The website has not been updated in awhile.

Quote from: hopefan on August 17, 2014, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: Denny McKinney on August 17, 2014, 03:06:09 PM
Hopefan that seemed to be a job right up your alley. Or, maybe a little coaching in your future?

Denny, Unfortunately, away from Coaching or NCAA far far too long... Had Will Wolper stayed, I would have approached him to see if he would have liked some help... an additional SLIAC rep at some contests, internet research etc... Retirement permits me the time... With his departure, I guess I'll just stay a Loyal SLIAC fan...

Yjack... reading Ms. Morenz's Bio surely doesn't show an active Athletic Department career, so I think skeptisism is warrented.. a professional background that shows being a trainer, an equipment manager, a move away from athletics into the Development Office, then teaching PE and Sports Management, and finally the year as AD at Blackburn....  She's dealing with Coaches when she's never coached, and the NCAA when she has just one year of AD experience....That seems light to me compared to Wolper who had prior commissioner's experience, or SLIAC Commish who came in with 40 years of coaching experience....  Hopefully she'll have a strong personality to make critical decisions that arise...

I'm aware of one long tenured SLIAC coach who has recurring thoughts of getting out.. wish that coach had considered application to the position....

Hopefan - Seems to me that this new commissioner is in a position, where your help would be even more valuable. I'm just saying, If you honestly wanted to help Step Up. ???

y_jack_lok

The link I provided shows Brian Lovellette as SID. Also, artcles are appearing on the website with pre-season info on men's and women's soccer, and volleyball and some recent coaching additions. Seems to things are functioning fairly normally.

Denny McKinney

My mistake.  :-[

magicman

Quote from: hopefan on July 28, 2014, 10:10:50 PM
It was just brought to my attention That my old favorite school, Hope College, will be matched up against Spalding in the first round of the Mose Hole Tourney at Wooster in late December... With the game not scheduled until December 29, Spalding Coach Kevin Gray will have plenty of time and games to figure out which sophs and frosh will work best with the several returning experienced players he has.  Wooster is a pretty good trip for me from St Louis (yikes, 540 miles), but this is only the second Hope-SLIAC match I can remember in the last dozen years... may have to consider it if it looks like a decent matchup.  Now, if buddies Sac and Flying Dutch Fan are making the trip from Holland, how can I resist?

Hello hopefan,

Long time no talk. Thought you might be interested in case you hadn't heard that your REAL favorite school, that would be your Alma Mater, RPI, has replaced retiring coach Mike Griffin with another Liberty League coach. The coach at Clarkson for the past 5 years, Mark Gilbride has decided to travel a few hundred miles south and is the new head coach  of the Red Hawks at RPI. Unsure if this is good or not for your old team. While he had a decent record at Clarkson,(75-51 over his 5 years there) they also didn't play a very challenging schedule, especially the last several years. Their SOS never gave them much hope for an at large bid They never won the conference or went to the NCAA tournament during his tenure. Leaving Clarkson so late in the season probably doesn't make the Golden Knights happy and what about the guys he's recruited the past few years...now he's going to be coaching against them. They always used to play Plattsburgh State every year as we took turns traveling to each other's place. It was a good non-conference game and didn't involve an overnight trip. (Only 75 miles between us) When Gilbride replaced Adam Stockwell who left Clarkson to go to Oswego State and is now at Hamilton College, our annual game became history. If he plays the soft schedule at RPI that he played at Clarkson your Red Hawks will never see the NCAA tournament unless they win the automatic bid.  They played 26 games last year and 11 of those games were teams that had a winning record. 9 of those 11 were Liberty League games against the top 4 teams in the league.

Quote from: Denny McKinney on August 01, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
Well good news for Hopefan. FU could play both Wash U. and IWU. Bad news for Hopefan. Both games would be in Cali. FU plays Wash U. in that special situation. Out, Play and Fly Back. Then a couple weeks later the Fly Back for a quick four teamer. FU plays Cal Lutheran and IWU plays a team tha slips my mind. It has Nazerath in it.

Bet Coach Hall wishes he had been able to make his own schedule. I know there is also a road game @ Augustana. FU needs to win a few games. It's been tough on their Jr. class.

Good Luck, Griffins.

Denny
That California tournament that you mentioned takes place on December 29th and 30th. It will have Cal Lutheran (the host school) playing Fontbonne on the 29th at 6 PM PST. Illinois Wesleyan will take on Nazareth College (The Golden Flyers) who are out of Rochester, New York at 8 PM PST. The 2 losers will face off at 6 PM PST on Dec. 30th and the championship game between the 2 winners will take place at 8 PM PST. I'm pretty sure hopefan may have played a game or 2 against Nazareth College back in the day when he was starting at RPI. (wasn't that the late 40's hopefan? It sure seems like it was that long ago.) Nazareth is currently a member of the Empire 8 Conference and usually they are contenders for one of the top spots in the league. They've made a few trips to the NCAA's in the past 7 years. They came up just short last year losing the tournament championship game to Hartwick by a 67-62 score. They ended the year 19-8. 

Well I've caught up on all the news in the SLIAC since the last season ended. Keep up the good work guys. Plus k to all of you.         

hopefan

Magic   always good to hear from you.....   Nope I neither coached against nor played against Nazareth... when I looked them up on NCAA.org, the first year listed for them is 1982-83, several years after my coaching career had ended... don't know if they had a non-NCAA program before that or not... I can really only recall playing all the 'oldies' out west.. UR, RIT, Hobart, Alfred, Colgate, Hamilton, Clarkson, SLU, Ithaca, Cornell... can't remember playing SJF, or any of the state schools except Plattsburgh (whom we usually preseason scrimmaged).. we hit Oneonta and Brockport in the tourney, and Albany, Union, and Siena locally... don't even think we played Utica....many of our other non conference games took us to Massachusetts for Williams, MIT, Brandeis, Middlebury in Vermont, or down south to what was the cupcake portion of the schedule back then with Stevens, Brooklyn Poly, ... also played Upsala in NJ before they closed down.

The hiring of the Clarkson Coach is different for the reasons stated (timing, within the conference)... I was thinking there were a couple of RPI grads who are currently coaching elsewhere who would have been leading candidates, But Gilbride's won-loss is impressive... and alums close to the program have been giving Coach Griffin grief for years regarding the downgrading of the schedule vs what it once was.  It will be pretty difficult to downgrade the schedule much further than it's been the last 4 or 5 years.

Sorry SLIAC fans... always fun to talk about the old days  (NOT the 40's.. but the late 60's and 70's)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Just as an afterthought, another school RPI played back in the day was Harper... which went on to become SUNY Binghamton, then Division 1 U of Binghamton....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Denny McKinney

What does RPI stand for, Hopefan. Runs Per Inning?  ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hopefan on August 25, 2014, 12:01:09 AM
Magic   always good to hear from you.....   Nope I neither coached against nor played against Nazareth... when I looked them up on NCAA.org, the first year listed for them is 1982-83, several years after my coaching career had ended... don't know if they had a non-NCAA program before that or not.

Nazareth is a former women's college that went coed in the '70s. The Golden Flyers first fielded a men's basketball team in the 1976-77 season. It was an NAIA program until 1982-83 when, as you mentioned, it switched over to NCAA D3. Former Knicks and Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy was the star of those early D3 Nazareth teams. He led them to a D3 tourney appearance in 1983-84, only the second year of Nazareth's eligibility, and he's still the school's all-time leader in FT percentage.

Quote from: Denny McKinney on August 26, 2014, 08:47:41 PM
What does RPI stand for, Hopefan. Runs Per Inning?  ;D

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 01, 2014, 05:10:01 PM
Nazareth is a former women's college that went coed in the '70s. The Golden Flyers first fielded a men's basketball team in the 1976-77 season. It was an NAIA program until 1982-83 when, as you mentioned, it switched over to NCAA D3. Former Knicks and Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy was the star of those early D3 Nazareth teams. He led them to a D3 tourney appearance in 1983-84, only the second year of Nazareth's eligibility, and he's still the school's all-time leader in FT percentage.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I wish you would write the book on the history of Division III basketball.

John Gleich

Quote from: WUH on September 08, 2014, 01:33:13 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 01, 2014, 05:10:01 PM

I have said it before and I will say it again: I wish you would write the book on the history of Division III basketball.

It may already be complete... it's just up to someone else to compile his posts over the years into one volume!   ;)
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich