FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

NED3Guy

114 days of athletic related activities to be used as desired by the coach / AD; throughout the academic year.

No more "traditional (fall)" and "non-traditional (spring)" season designation from the NCAA.

It's my understanding that the NCAA rule saying a player can retain eligibility if the team plays less than 50% of it's allowable contests this year is still in effect, as is the countable semester rule they made to allow for anything an athlete is able to do this year to not count against them.

I've heard from a few people that there is still an unknown regarding full padded practices in the spring; but that the NCAA will be addressing this in due time.

I'm still VERY skeptical of teams playing games in the spring....I just don't think many D3 athletic departments have the resources to pull it off.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: NED3Guy on July 28, 2020, 12:51:18 PM
114 days of athletic related activities to be used as desired by the coach / AD; throughout the academic year.

No more "traditional (fall)" and "non-traditional (spring)" season designation from the NCAA.

It's my understanding that the NCAA rule saying a player can retain eligibility if the team plays less than 50% of it's allowable contests this year is still in effect, as is the countable semester rule they made to allow for anything an athlete is able to do this year to not count against them.

I've heard from a few people that there is still an unknown regarding full padded practices in the spring; but that the NCAA will be addressing this in due time.

I'm still VERY skeptical of teams playing games in the spring....I just don't think many D3 athletic departments have the resources to pull it off.

................and it is not fair to the spring student athletes, who lost an entire season, vs. the fall student athletes who played a full season last year.

Oline89

I think the LL schools can figure out a way to play in the Spring, but not if testing will still be required for every athlete 72 hours prior to each contest.  With a 7 team league, my guess would be that there will be a 5 game max set by the coaches.  Why bother playing 6 games and losing the potential extra year of eligibility.

Oline89

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 28, 2020, 03:34:07 PM

................and it is not fair to the spring student athletes, who lost an entire season, vs. the fall student athletes who played a full season last year.

But, haven't most of those spring seniors graduated?  They really didn't have a chance to defer graduation by the time they were sent home.  The fall group of seniors may be enticed to return to school, given the chance to play in the spring.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on July 28, 2020, 04:18:29 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 28, 2020, 03:34:07 PM

But, haven't most of those spring seniors graduated?  They really didn't have a chance to defer graduation by the time they were sent home.  The fall group of seniors may be enticed to return to school, given the chance to play in the spring.

Even though football and basketball are my far and away first true loves (it occurs at inception as a Philadelphian), I'm really just against the whole concept of the spring athletes getting affected in any way, shape or form (shortened season, less resources such as access to fields and typical practice and game schedules and times, SID access, trainers, etc.) due to fall and winter sports (who had full seasons last go round) infringing on them.

While it is true what you stated about the seniors from the spring, some need the extra semester (or two) to graduate as some took a redshirt, others are in a 4 + 1 program to get a master's or are working towards a master's and have a season of eligibility left.

Additionally, I think about the spring athletes who will be juniors or seniors who already lost a full season and might either lose another one (as I personally feel that we are deep doo doo for another 12 - 18 months)...........or might have another one disrupted by the movement of fall and winter sports.

I know that football is the 800 pound gorilla in the sports world. While baseball is our "pasttime"..........football is our "passion". But I'd bet the student athletes, their parents and the coaches would beg to differ that any one sport is more important than their sport.

The only place where I agree that football should move to the spring is at the D-I level as the revenue at many big time programs funds the entire athletic program. That is far from the case at the D-II and D-III level.

I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see most sports (especially those involving contact........football, lacrosse, wrestling, basketball) be played until 2021 - 2022.

Oline89

Hobart completed student check in today. So far so good.  Ontario County has only  had 300 or so cases, so hopefully all goes well. Hoping that a small school in an isolated county in Upstate NY, can have a safe and successful fall term.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Oline89 on August 21, 2020, 07:14:51 PM
Hobart completed student check in today. So far so good.  Ontario County has only  had 300 or so cases, so hopefully all goes well. Hoping that a small school in an isolated county in Upstate NY, can have a safe and successful fall term.

Mayberry is buzzing now with check-in at Alfred U. and Alfred State underway. Classes begin Monday, August 24 with AU offering all classes online for first two weeks, then in-person classes in socially-distanced classrooms with all expected to wear masks. Spoke with a few parents from Long Island and Connecticut this morning. They seemed pleased to learn that Allegany County (population 46,000) had only 85 COVID-19 cases thus far, with 83 recovered and just 1 fatality. Just hoping students take the social distancing seriously now, so that perhaps restrictions can eventually be lifted later without interruption of on-campus classes.

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on August 21, 2020, 09:52:13 PM

Mayberry is buzzing now with check-in at Alfred U. and Alfred State underway. Classes begin Monday, August 24 with AU offering all classes online for first two weeks, then in-person classes in socially-distanced classrooms with all expected to wear masks. Spoke with a few parents from Long Island and Connecticut this morning. They seemed pleased to learn that Allegany County (population 46,000) had only 85 COVID-19 cases thus far, with 83 recovered and just 1 fatality. Just hoping students take the social distancing seriously now, so that perhaps restrictions can eventually be lifted later without interruption of on-campus classes.
Hey Pep,
     It took a global pandemic to cancel the Statesmen-Saxon Warrior opener this season. I hope the Mayberry matchup will be rescheduled next year and each campus thrives safely and their students make the most of the live campus experience this Fall. The Statesmen will be using the extra time to practice some new packages that should surprise the mighty Saxon Warriors when we next meet ;)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

At the risk of kicking the proverbial dead horse, until the insurance / liability waiver issue is resolved, you can pretty much guarantee zero sports will be played at the D3 level.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

MUC57

Quote from: ITH radio on August 26, 2020, 03:17:16 PM
At the risk of kicking the proverbial dead horse, until the insurance / liability waiver issue is resolved, you can pretty much guarantee zero sports will be played at the D3 level.

ITH

Check the post by TUAngola on the MIAA board in the North Region. 🏈 ❓
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Oline89

Was walking the pup last night, smelled fresh cut grass, tinge of autumn air, and heard the tom tom drums of the local high school band practicing in the distance.  It's going to be a tough fall.....

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bartman on August 22, 2020, 08:01:51 AM
Quote from: AUPepBand on August 21, 2020, 09:52:13 PM

Hey Pep,
     It took a global pandemic to cancel the Statesmen-Saxon Warrior opener this season. I hope the Mayberry matchup will be rescheduled next year and each campus thrives safely and their students make the most of the live campus experience this Fall. The Statesmen will be using the extra time to practice some new packages that should surprise the mighty Saxon Warriors when we next meet ;)

Yes, those Pumpkinheads always seem to exhaust the playbook when they're playing Pep's Saxons. Can imagine Rankl will have a few tricks up his sleeve to get the Saxons back on track in the long series. Hobart has a 39-35 edge (with 4 ties) in the series, having won the last nine games. Last time Alfred beat Hobart was in 1995, a 35-14 win. At present, AU 2021 schedule has Saxons opening at Hobart Friday, Sept. 3.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

UfanBill

Union football is presently holding a polling contest identifying Union's most memorable games. I've been very fortunate to witness most of the nominated contests.(it means I'm old)...Here's the link if you want to vote or just reminisce about 50 years of Union football. My personal #1 goes way back to 1981. A 10-7 program changing victory over a ranked Albany State team. Union was probably a +20 underdog that day and shocked the Great Danes with a monumental defensive effort. It was a foundation for the decades of Union wins to come....https://unionathletics.com/news/2020/9/2/vote-for-unions-most-memorable-football-games.aspx
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

The D3football.com Preseason All American Team was announced last week and nobody made mention of the Liberty League players that were honored. OT Tim Driscoll from Union and Hobart LB Emmett Forde were named to the First Team. Union's dynamic RB Ike Irabor and St. Lawrence OT Max Warden were Second Teamers. Congratulations...great to see the Liberty League get national recognition.

Want to watch some football?...In a follow up to my earlier post, Union has announced that for 10 consecutive weeks starting this Saturday they will live stream some of the most memorable football games in Union College history. After nominations and balloting a game of the week will be announced on Sunday. This week's game is a replay of last year's Union vs. Ithaca battle. https://unionathletics.com/news/2020/9/11/join-us-for-union-footballs-most-memorable-games.aspx
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Adrian hosts Trine for a D3 football game.....good luck to both teams
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath