Pep Bands vs. Canned Music at Football Games

Started by AUPepBand, May 07, 2006, 10:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

Don't forget Gene Carroll.  When I was in school you had to stake out a seat in the TV room during "Gene Carroll's Polka Varieties" to get a seat to watch the Brown's game.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

D O.C.

You see?
QuoteA kinder,gentler, more subdued WILDCAT NATION.

AUPepBand

So back to the topic....AUPepBand to date has been having a very good recruiting season...adding two or three drummers on which to build a legitimate percussion section. Of course, on the D3 level, nothing's for sure 'til opening day...although deposits are a good indicator. And I've heard that our outstanding 4'8" 13-year-old cornet player, who doubles on drums and guitar (the only thing his mother says he can't play is the clothes hamper--can't seem to pick that up...and put it in), could bring a bandmate or two to join the fun.

The Performing Arts Division Chair reports that she has a very talented, ambitious trombone player that was awarded a talent scholarship...perhaps we have someone to fill the shoes of our beloved AU grad and PepBandGeekExtraordinaire Andrew Schwartz. Quite honestly, I don't think there's another person on earth that could fit into those shoes.

In good times and in adversity, AUPepBand will be there rooting for the Saxon Warriors and attempting to give the Saxons the homefield advantage at Merrill Field. Four of five home games are against 2005 post-season playoff contenders, three of them NCAA qualifiers (Thiel, Hobart, Ithaca). Yikes...

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

ADL70

Is a "talent scholarship" contrary to d3 values?
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pat Coleman

Quote from: cwru70 on June 21, 2006, 09:50:06 PM

For sports, I would say so.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Flea

It's (cash) fine for anything non-athletic, like golf.  You've got to have the live musicians.

AUPepBand

It's my understanding that auditions are held by the Performing Arts Division so that prospective students actually compete for a "scholarship" or "financial aid award." Since we don't have a music major, per se, it's one way of boosting our musical groups. I guess it would be considered an academic scholarship as there are music classes for which students attain credits.
Keeping my fingers crossed that we get the trombone we need!

ADL70

I should have added a winky smiley to that post.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

AUPepBand

No worries, cwru70...

Back to the topic...I only wish CWRU had its marching band at the Alfred game in 2005. I'd have enjoyed seeing them, but they can't be as crazy as AU Pep Band, that drives four hours in the rain only to sit in the rain for three hours and then throw themselves into the "dry cycle" of my 1992 Grand Caravan that serves as a dryer blasting heat throughout the four-hour drizzly ride home.

AU Pep Band
"the soggy sound of the Saxons"

Grove City has one of the best marching bands I've seen....but they don't utilize the talent through game-time. Guess there's a big difference between a "pep band" and a "marching band," although I think the DI college bands do both.

AUPepBand

I'm wondering how many D3 football schools have pep bands? Perhaps an informal survey of the conferences would get a ballpark figure. I've heard about RPI's band. Would love to see them in action.

In the E8, there are bands at Ithaca and AU. Hartwick at one time had a band, if I remember correctly. I didn't travel to Norwich in '05 but saw a silent game tape and it looked like a good size Cadet band....in the visitors' stands(?)

Bushop

I would love to see a band full of scholarship musicians pounding out the tunes at all D3 sportng events.  Let's get the band directors recruiting like coaches.

AUPepBand

While offering talent scholarships to boost the band might be nice, I guess I'm content with our "walk-on" policy. We have a 13-year-old trumpet player, an adventurous octogenarian widow who played kazoo with the band one Saturday (who has already asked if she can play at a game again this season) and a 50-year-old leader who plays nothing but kazoo and bass drum and can't direct his way out of a paper bag.

Heard just prior to a late season home game:
Coach Murray: "Hey, the pep band's here!"
AUPepBand: "Yes, we're here with our 12-year-old trumpet player and a 15-year-old bass clarinet..."
Coach Murray: "And you probably picked up some homeless people."
AUPepBand: "Sure, they're playing for their next meal."

There's plenty of "uniforms" (i.e. tee-shirts) just waiting to be worn by polished musicians...and homeless folks.

Mr. Ypsi

Now THAT'S a pep band!  For a marching band, I'll take music majors (and talented others), thank you.  But for a pep band, give me enthusiasm over 'talent' any day! ;D

joepieters

At Wabash through the eighties the President of the school, the late great  Lew Salter, played the snare drum in the pep band.

'gro

Quote from: Joe Wally on July 25, 2006, 09:12:19 PM
At Wabash through the eighties the President of the school, the late great Lew Salter, played the snare drum in the pep band.

Your school president goes to the football games? RPI's only shows up if we make the playoffs... frontrunner.