Pep Bands vs. Canned Music at Football Games

Started by AUPepBand, May 07, 2006, 10:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUPepBand

While "canned music" (broadcast over the PA system) is used during pre-game drills at many D3 football stadiums, which I guess is okay because often the players are the only ones in the stadium at that time....I find "canned music" over the PA system during halftime and/or games can be offensive.

This Offenburger column from 2001 advocates bringing back the marching band/pep band rather than broadcast offensive music. Or, if you're gonna play a CD, play some college football fight songs. My son's XBox Final Four game has some great pep band music that I wouldn't mind listening to at a game--but it will never be as good as a live pep band!

http://www.offenburger.com/lspaper.asp?link=20011104

The Alfred University Pep Band was begun (first year as a kazoo band) to bring back the Saxon fight song, generate some school spirit and, quite honestly, to counteract the Ithaca College Pep Band's biennial invasion of Merrill Field.

I say real colleges have football teams, fight songs.....AND PEP BANDS! What do you say?

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ADL70

I was shocked in the last year or two to hear canned music in Ohio Stadium, home of TBDBITL
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Ralph Turner

McMurry is now marching about 60-65, up from 30 a few years ago.

The Hardin-Simmons University Cowboy Band is marching about 50.

AUPepBand

CWRU,
You're saying Ohio State has "The Best Darn Band In The Land"? (Acronyms are sometimes fuzzy for me).
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: AUPepBand on May 07, 2006, 11:16:53 PM
CWRU,
You're saying Ohio State has "The Best Darn Band In The Land"? (Acronyms are sometimes fuzzy for me).

In the 1950's and 1960's, Southern Methodist University Mustang Band called itself "The Best Dressed Band in the Land" with their 31 combinations of uniforms.

frank uible

cwru: In the Big Ten at least Michigan, MSU and Purdue could legitimately dispute Ohio State's TBDBITL claim - not to mention FAMU and several colleges in the SEC, Big 12, SWAC and MEAC.

cawcdad

I thought Grambling had TBDBITL. They came out to play San Jose State one year and it was the biggest crowd SJSU had had in a while. Almost half of whom left after halftime.  ;D

Knightstalker

I don't know about Grambling, I think Southern might have something to say about who is the BDBITL.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

matblake

Considering how coordinated I am, I think any band that can march and play at the same time is considered BDBITL.

Gray Fox

USC has the MABITL, most annoying band in the land. 
Fierce When Roused

jdean

How about the best band to go on the field of play before the final play is whistled dead?

reality check

jdean

Ah yes, I believe it was a tuba player that threw the block which gave Cal the win.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

cawcdad

Quote from: jdean on May 08, 2006, 01:16:34 PM
How about the best band to go on the field of play before the final play is whistled dead?
That would the same band that is most likely to get suspended / reprimanded for insulting an entire state and religion. ::)

Ron Boerger

Pep bands are far, far superior, but unfortunately not all schools (a) want a pep band, (b) have students who want to be in a pep band, (c) a pep band tradition to uphold, or (d) some combo of all three.  Back in the day at my alma mater the students put together a pep band that played at all the home FB and BB games.  We found the 50-60s era blazers and wore 'em at the games, too.  It was great fun.   The not-so-great BB team didn't lose a game we played at the entire season. 

The next year, the administration directed the septugenarian band director to take over.  They lasted one FB game before expiring due to lack of interest. 

I salute the ASC schools who have actual marching bands and the SCAC schools that have real pep bands (including especially DPU and Rose-Hulman, sadly we're losing RHIT).