Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

Sebastian Alderete 28-11-4 in the title game, that's kinda good.

Hooray we win hooray...now we wait to see where IC goes and if Hobart and/or RPI join them.

and the IC women won the LL over Vassar on a Grace Cannon bucket with 6 seconds left; truly everything has come up Milhouse on this day

footballfan911

Alderete was huge all game and Thompson slammed the door shut in OT. Two seniors who have had fantastic careers on south hill. Great way to go out with a league championship.Would be nice to see 3 Liberty League teams playing next weekend.

Ithaca798891

Quote from: Caz Bombers on March 01, 2020, 04:25:54 PM

Hooray we win hooray...now we wait to see where IC goes and if Hobart and/or RPI join them.

and the IC women won the LL over Vassar on a Grace Cannon bucket with 6 seconds left; truly everything has come up Milhouse on this day

The Cannon basket actually came with .3 seconds to go. Livestats had it wrong, but there's video on IC's athletics Twitter feed. Just a fantastic weekend for IC hoops

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Ithaca798891 on March 02, 2020, 08:50:05 AM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on March 01, 2020, 04:25:54 PM

The Cannon basket actually came with .3 seconds to go. Livestats had it wrong, but there's video on IC's athletics Twitter feed. Just a fantastic weekend for IC hoops

true, saw that last night and just didn't edit my post...heck of a weekend. Plus the two track titles and the wrestling and women's lax beat the Scarlet Lizards on the road.

Bartman

The D3hoops gurus have Hobart getting in as the last Pool C. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be pretty cool to get 3 LL Teams in the tournament. We'll find out shortly.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

stlawus

Hobart got in.   Very tough draw with St. Joe's but I'm as surprised as anyone to see them get in.  In a year where we all thought the LL was down we still managed to get 3 teams in.  Good luck to all.

Oline89

Wow, three LL make the dance!  I like Hobart's draw better than RPI's

Bartman

Quote from: stlawus on March 02, 2020, 01:12:54 PM
Hobart got in.   Very tough draw with St. Joe's but I'm as surprised as anyone to see them get in.  In a year where we all thought the LL was down we still managed to get 3 teams in.  Good luck to all.
I think Hobart had a good resume and having beaten IC ,the LL Champ , twice probably helped, but it was by the skin of their teeth, no doubt. Hobart first year coach Steph Thompson against Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun at the birthplace of basketball in Springfield, Mass.. Our seniors get a second chance because the taste of the loss to the Bombers was not good, especially going 2-19 past the arc .....hopefully our shots will fall on Friday and we can beat  Calhoun and company.   
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

UfanBill

WOW... The Liberty League with 3 teams in the dance. What do you have to say now "d-mac" ?
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Pat Coleman

He probably says something similar to what he said last night on the mock selection show, when we decided to put Hobart in the field, making it three LL teams.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 02, 2020, 07:37:58 PM
He probably says something similar to what he said last night on the mock selection show, when we decided to put Hobart in the field, making it three LL teams.

Pat.................after that comeback, we will hear the sound of crickets chirping from UFanBill (who obviously didn't watch the show the night before) ;)

Bartman

Now that the LL has three teams in the dance, and the ire of the other bubble teams, it will be interesting to see how the LL teams do . Ithaca is pretty hot and if they show the defense they showed in the LL tournament and get production out of their scorers, they could surprise the field . RPI is very steady and will win with defense and team scoring. Hobart needs to show St. Joseph our best defense and a hot Tucker Lescoe....  if Tuck is hot and we can set effective screens we can beat St Joe's...or rely on Messina drives(watch the TOs) and Meshanic and Fleurizard on the inside .....a tough draw if you believe the national polls, but since we were probably the last team off the board, beggars can't be choosers. Good luck to all. 
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

thebear

Remember there are 23 AQ's with Massey ranks lower than Hobart, so while likely the last pool C team, but not the lowest ranked team in the tournament.

What is interesting is that Hobart's coach is 29 years old, and Calhoun is 77, literally old enough to be his grandfather.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Bartman

Quote from: thebear on March 03, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
Remember there are 23 AQ's with Massey ranks lower than Hobart, so while likely the last pool C team, but not the lowest ranked team in the tournament.

What is interesting is that Hobart's coach is 29 years old, and Calhoun is 77, literally old enough to be his grandfather.
Players gotta play, but certainly a good experience for Hobart's young coach, Stefan Thompson .
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

UfanBill

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 03, 2020, 09:42:50 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 02, 2020, 07:37:58 PM

Pat.................after that comeback, we will hear the sound of crickets chirping from UFanBill (who obviously didn't watch the show the night before) ;)

"Crickets"?...Hardly, that's not the way I roll. True, I did not watch the mock selection show...probably would have if Union had a path to the tourney. A week ago d'mac scoffed at the notion that anyone other than the LL champ would make the tourney, so he's the one that ate crow. I'm happy that he listened and reassessed his position  ...late.

I'm a staunch defender of D3 sports...NYS teams in general and the Liberty League in particular. Others (and I admit d'mac is much more of a basketball expert than me) have a bias against NYS teams and athletes in general. I thought this Liberty League board would be the place to express my opinion. "We" will continue to hear chirping from me alright. I thought that was what this is all about ???
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳