MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Wheaton walks out of Faganel with a 92-85 win over Elmhurst. Aston Francis had a 36 and 10 performance. Blanketed by Luke Peters all night, Jake Rhode was held to 13, but he had a great floor game at 8:2 with four steals. Wheaton won on the boards, 47-38, and that was really the ballgame.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BobbyO

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 12, 2019, 10:14:42 PM
Augustana pulls off a 69-68 win over Carthage, as Nolan Ebel took an inbound pass with 5.5 seconds left and went the length of the court unimpeded to make the winning layup with 0.9 left on the clock.

Carthage led most of the way, but couldn't hit enough shots down the stretch to sustain a workable margin.
A very lucky win tonight.  Bosco showed me why he is the Dean of the CCIW. With that said, You need luck at times but your skill will guide you,  Wheaton on Wednesday, keep the drive for five alive!

Yogao

Quote from: BobbyO on January 12, 2019, 10:27:36 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 12, 2019, 10:14:42 PM
Augustana pulls off a 69-68 win over Carthage, as Nolan Ebel took an inbound pass with 5.5 seconds left and went the length of the court unimpeded to make the winning layup with 0.9 left on the clock.

Carthage led most of the way, but couldn't hit enough shots down the stretch to sustain a workable margin.
A very lucky win tonight.  Bosco showed me why he is the Dean of the CCIW. With that said, You need luck at times but your skill will guide you,  Wheaton on Wednesday, keep the drive for five alive!

Orange and Wofford went a combine 3-15 in the game for 6 points.   Ebel and Benning lead the way with 21 and 18 respectively. No other Viking was in double figures tonight.

In the pregame Dan Sand was talking about Augie's poor shooting at home, and Augie proved his point shooting 43% from the field and 44% from the line.

Gregory Sager

Bosko (it's not spelled like the chocolate drink ;) ) may be the dean of the CCIW, but it's not up to him to hit open shots from the top of the key. That's on his players.

Nobody talks about it much, but one of the ingredients to being a great team is getting some lucky bounces here or there in tight games. Augie led for only eight and a half minutes of tonight's game at Carver, but the Doggies got some lucky bounces and prevailed in the final seconds. As the season goes on and people talk about what a great team Augie is -- because it certainly is a great team -- they might tend to forget that.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Yogao on January 12, 2019, 10:32:46 PMOrange and Wofford went a combine 3-15 in the game for 6 points.

Orange did a solid job defensively on Kienan Baltimore in the second half, though, after Baltimore had turned Augie into mincemeat in the first half. He had 22 at halftime, but "only" finished with 30. Orange had a lot to do with Baltimore cooling off in the second half, although some of it was the fact that Augie could double down on him when necessary because Carthage just didn't have anybody on the floor aside from Kedrowski who was a threat from ten feet and beyond from the basket.

I was impressed by Sean Johnson's game. His touch around the basket is improving, and he not only had five blocks but he also misdirected a lot of close-in Augie shots and made those shooters miss.

Yogao

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 12, 2019, 10:41:45 PM
Quote from: Yogao on January 12, 2019, 10:32:46 PMOrange and Wofford went a combine 3-15 in the game for 6 points.

Orange did a solid job defensively on Kienan Baltimore in the second half, though, after Baltimore had turned Augie into mincemeat in the first half. He had 22 at halftime, but "only" finished with 30. Orange had a lot to do with Baltimore cooling off in the second half, although some of it was the fact that Augie could double down on him when necessary because Carthage just didn't have anybody on the floor aside from Kedrowski who was a threat from ten feet and beyond from the basket.

I was impressed by Sean Johnson's game. His touch around the basket is improving, and he not only had five blocks but he also misdirected a lot of close-in Augie shots and made those shooters miss.

Agree, Orange played well on D.  I was trying to make the point (although didn't do well), that Augie had 2 players that both average 10+ points a game held to 6 total. 4 of the 5 starters average 10+ a game which helps significantly when 1 is focused on the defensive end or is having a bad shooting night etc.

markerickson

Who is Woo, North Park?  A blowout loss to Carroll...
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: markerickson on January 12, 2019, 11:09:12 PM
Who is Woo, North Park?  A blowout loss to Carroll...

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 28, 2018, 04:35:21 PM
North Park has added a new player as well. He's 5'9 junior Henry Woo, Jr. from Evanston Township, who spent two years in a dreadful Concordia (IL) program that won a grand total of seven games in his two seasons there. Last year he was a part-time starter for the Cougars, averaging 9.3 ppg.

GoPerry

Wheaton 92, Elmhurst 85

Aston Francis, 36 pts, 11 rebs
Spencer Petersen 14 pts ( yes, 2-5 from three!) 8 rebs
Luke Anthony, 13 pts
Luke Peters,  12 pts, 6 rebs

Jeremy Ireland  22 pts
Derek Doitlich 17 pts, 7 rebs
Jake Rhode, 13 pts, 8 assts, 4 stls

This was a really good win for the Thunder and one where they got the type of scoring balance that's given them the best success.  Four players in double figures and Eichelberger with 9 pts. What has become obvious in these first 4 games after the break is what a valuable pickup Luke Anthony has been.  He is a solid scoring threat, confident in taking shots, and brings some physical presence defensively.  If Spencer Petersen plays the solid D he's delivered lately and grabs 6-8 boards, let him shoot the 3s  (although 5 attempts is a bit much).

They were down at half 39-34 from giving up 9 offensive boards but held the 'Jays to just 4 in the second half.   If this team shows up at King on Wed, they might just get one from the visiting Augie Vikings.

augie77

I just realized that Sean Johnson of Carthage is the son of former North Park star Dan Mulkerin, who was a starter for Bosko's 1985 and 1987 national championship teams.  Dad must have provided a nice coaching reference for his son.

Gregory Sager

I think that I've posted that a couple of times already.

They're both good players, but their games (and their physiques) aren't much alike. Dan Mulkerin was a solid body underneath (listed at 6'8, but really more like 6'6, 230) who really freed up Vikings superstar PF Michael Starks to do his thing while at the same time being able to assert his own game, averaging 13.1 and 10.7 as a junior (and being named All-CCIW first team) and 13.4 and 11.4 as a senior (and being named All-CCIW second team). Sean is taller and lankier and is more of a shot-blocker than Mul ever was, but he's not quite there yet as a scorer and rebounder.

Thing is, though, he has a head start on his old man. Mul languished on the JV team for the most part as a freshman in '85 (Lars Anderson was the starting center, not Mul), getting garbage time for the varsity in eleven games, and then backed up Starks at the center position as a sophomore before Bosko put Mul with the starters and moved Starks to PF in fall practice when he and Mul were juniors, creating the combo that, along with the emergence of fellow junior Mike Barach as the other North Park superstar, propelled the '87 team to greatness. Mul didn't even play basketball in high school at Taft; he was strictly a football player. So his kid is definitely further along than he was at this stage of his career., since Sean has been an important contributor since Carthage's first game last season.

Titan Q

IWU 87
Millikin 71

* Brady Rose: 23 points, 5 assists
* Doug Wallen: 15 points, 6 rebounds
* Colin Bonnett: 13 points

* Jack Marinko: 10 points, 4 rebounds
* Elijah Henry: 17 points
* Zach Fisher: 15 points, 3 rebounds

IWU: 17 assists/9 turnovers

Rebounds: IWU 36; Millikin 28

https://www.iwusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=6760&path=mbball

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/wallen-rose-spark-iwu-triumph-over-millikin/article_8015812a-112c-5d60-bf77-384350629b91.html

The game was tied at 19 at the 10:28 mark of the 1st.  Over the next 15 minutes, IWU outscored the Big Blue 45-18.

I thought the Titans played very well overall yesterday.  Brady Rose, Doug Wallen, Colin Bonnett led the scoring, but just about everybody in the rotation contributed.  Sophomores Grant Wolfe and Charlie Bair and freshman Peter Lambesis played particularly well.

Brady Rose moved into 13th place on IWU's all-time scoring list.  In 95 games he has scored 1453 points.  In 12th place is Adam Dauksas with 1475 in 114 games.

IWU travels to Elmhurst Wednesday.

voxelmhurst

Quote from: GoPerry on January 12, 2019, 11:27:01 PM
Wheaton 92, Elmhurst 85

Luke Anthony, 13 pts

Jeremy Ireland  22 pts

This was a really good win for the Thunder and one where they got the type of scoring balance that's given them the best success.  Four players in double figures and Eichelberger with 9 pts. What has become obvious in these first 4 games after the break is what a valuable pickup Luke Anthony has been.  He is a solid scoring threat, confident in taking shots, and brings some physical presence defensively.  If Spencer Petersen plays the solid D he's delivered lately and grabs 6-8 boards, let him shoot the 3s  (although 5 attempts is a bit much).

They were down at half 39-34 from giving up 9 offensive boards but held the 'Jays to just 4 in the second half.   If this team shows up at King on Wed, they might just get one from the visiting Augie Vikings.

I was only able to catch the second half. I felt Wheaton won this game simply by their ability to out-maneuver Elmhurst in the second half. Sure, Francis was able to knock down shots while being heavily guarded, but they also got a lot of points (and rebounds as mentioned above) by having players in better spaces than Elmhurst did. I forget who but the instance where a Wheaton player grabbed an offensive rebound/loose ball after a rare Francis (I think) miss and then got THREE Elmhurst players to bite on a head fake before scoring and getting fouled was a prime example of this. I think Wheaton was only up 6 before this play so Elmhurst would have then had a chance to cut it to one possession lead with a rebound, but instead they went down by 9. Elmhurst played catch up for most of the second half, both in terms of scoring and spacing on the court.

Elmhurst now 4-3 in CCIW and their 4 wins earlier in the season looming large amidst this losing streak. It won't get any easier for the Jays as the coming week sees Wesleyan coming into town on Wednesday before the Jays travel west to Augustana next Wednesday.

duckfan41

Quote from: voxelmhurst on January 13, 2019, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on January 12, 2019, 11:27:01 PM
Wheaton 92, Elmhurst 85

Luke Anthony, 13 pts

Jeremy Ireland  22 pts

I was only able to catch the second half. I felt Wheaton won this game simply by their ability to out-maneuver Elmhurst in the second half. Sure, Francis was able to knock down shots while being heavily guarded, but they also got a lot of points (and rebounds as mentioned above) by having players in better spaces than Elmhurst did. I forget who but the instance where a Wheaton player grabbed an offensive rebound/loose ball after a rare Francis (I think) miss and then got THREE Elmhurst players to bite on a head fake before scoring and getting fouled was a prime example of this. I think Wheaton was only up 6 before this play so Elmhurst would have then had a chance to cut it to one possession lead with a rebound, but instead they went down by 9. Elmhurst played catch up for most of the second half, both in terms of scoring and spacing on the court.

Elmhurst now 4-3 in CCIW and their 4 wins earlier in the season looming large amidst this losing streak. It won't get any easier for the Jays as the coming week sees Wesleyan coming into town on Wednesday before the Jays travel west to Augustana next Saturday.

I'm pretty sure that play you're talking about was new transfer Luke Anthony who has been playing crucial minutes off of the bench and is visably more comfortable within the offensive flow now that he was in his first appearance against Carthage.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 12, 2019, 10:35:21 PM
Bosko (it's not spelled like the chocolate drink ;) ) may be the dean of the CCIW, but it's not up to him to hit open shots from the top of the key. That's on his players.

Nobody talks about it much, but one of the ingredients to being a great team is getting some lucky bounces here or there in tight games. Augie led for only eight and a half minutes of tonight's game at Carver, but the Doggies got some lucky bounces and prevailed in the final seconds. As the season goes on and people talk about what a great team Augie is -- because it certainly is a great team -- they might tend to forget that.

I've always held this belief. Rarely is a team so dominant as to flatten all or almost all of their opponents with relative ease without getting some lucky bounces and breaks along the way. In many cases good teams get the breaks because they force the issue and make their own breaks. But you never know when something like a ref's blown call, a lucky bounce, or a last second or one in a million shot is going to unexpectedly sneak in and alter the outcome.

Look at last season's national champion, Nebraska Wesleyan. Again, not to discount their skill level, but they could have easily lost to Platteville in the 3rd round when they won on a last second shot, or to Springfield in the national semifinal where they trailed, I believe by 5, with little time left before forcing OT where they dominated. Had anything even slightly different happened down the stretch of either of those games, the outcomes could have easily been different.