FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abnrgr

HSC gets smitted in the 1st round just like the rest of the ODAC (except for one year)

I see some of those other conferences where they play out of their league to get better. GC-Q tried back in 99-02. They lost to some teams they had on the ropes but one guy would give it away because he had no moral fiber. Then the wheels fell off. You cannot drive to the red zone 4 times in the 1st half on a DII playoff team and come away with nothing. That's how 40 unanswered points get laid on you in the 3rd quarter.

I digress but ODAC will not win a national championship this decade. Always a couple hog linemen away or a linebacker corps away or a QB away. Oc ocurse luck does play a huge part as all you know.
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

abnrgr

Part II. (screwed up with the preview button)

As I was saying, the damn good predictors and writers at D3 have a pretty good record of sniffing this out. jknezek is correct 21 for HSC but 21 does not translate into a national championship.  Love to see the ODAC beat up on the Yankee teams and one of those Texas teams but it will not happen.

We should discuss who will win the conference and the fact recruiting will start a week later for an ODAC team. That's it. I am not being obtuse of even "hypocritically pious"  ;)as certain supporters of teams from Wisconsin

And I am not wearing underwear

HSCTiger fan

21st is fair. It's the first time an ODAC team has been in D3football's preseason top 25 since Bridgewater was ranked 13th in the 2006 preseason poll.

Has any ODAC team other than BC and HSC ever been ranked at anytime in a D3football poll?
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

I think W&L might have made a 24 or 25 ranking at some point in the last couple years. Not 100% positive and don't care enough to check.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 20, 2014, 10:15:18 PM
21st is fair. It's the first time an ODAC team has been in D3football's preseason top 25 since Bridgewater was ranked 13th in the 2006 preseason poll.

Has any ODAC team other than BC and HSC ever been ranked at anytime in a D3football poll?

I looked around a little this morning and found that RMC was ranked 20th the 6th week of 2010.  I did not find any others. Just a curiosity question more than anything.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

abnrgr

HSCTiger fan

Wally Wabash posted the info below on the NCAC board. Nice.

And here's the honor roll...the list of teams that have made the top 25 in every season of the D3football.com Top 25 era (2003-present):
Linfield
Mary Hardin-Baylor
Mount Union
St. John's*
UW-Whitewater
Wabash
Wheaton (Ill.)

*St. John's is not ranked in the 2014 preseason top 25, so they're the only one of these seven that are on the hot seat. 

Members of oh-so-close club which I've arbitrarily decided is everybody who has missed out of the top 25 in only one or two of these seasons:
Bethel (2005, 2009)
Delaware Valley (2003, 2006)
Hampden-Sydney (2006, 2007)
North Central (2003, 2004)
Rowan (2008, 2009)
St. John Fisher (2003, 2009)
Wartburg (2012)
Wesley (2003, 2004)
Hampden Sydney College

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: abnrgr on July 21, 2014, 12:27:32 PM
20th ranked RMC=Meat

Your right RMC lost 3 of 4 after that ranking.
Hampden Sydney College

bashgiant

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on July 17, 2014, 06:16:08 AM
Quote from: bashgiant on July 17, 2014, 05:32:42 AM
Quote from: abnrgr on July 14, 2014, 07:32:13 PM
Mark today. HSC gets beat 12-9 by GC-Q and goes 9-1 and to the playoffs. The Quakes go 8-2 and sit

I think you might be overlooking the first game (Wabash) for HSC as you will be facing one of the best if not the best defense in the country. Throw in a great  special teams and HSC just might have there hands full. Also if Wabash's 2 stud running backs can stay healthy it could be a long day for the HSC defense. September 6 can't get here soon enough!

Go Bash!!!

Wabash finished the year #1 in total defense so I look at Wabash starting the year off as the #1 defense until proved otherwise. But hey that's just me. Maybe just a tad bias ;D

GO BASH!

That will have to go to UWW.

bashgiant

Quote from: bashgiant on July 22, 2014, 05:19:12 AM
Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on July 17, 2014, 06:16:08 AM
Quote from: bashgiant on July 17, 2014, 05:32:42 AM
Quote from: abnrgr on July 14, 2014, 07:32:13 PM
Mark today. HSC gets beat 12-9 by GC-Q and goes 9-1 and to the playoffs. The Quakes go 8-2 and sit

I think you might be overlooking the first game (Wabash) for HSC as you will be facing one of the best if not the best defense in the country. Throw in a great  special teams and HSC just might have there hands full. Also if Wabash's 2 stud running backs can stay healthy it could be a long day for the HSC defense. September 6 can't get here soon enough!

Go Bash!!!

Wabash finished the year #1 in total defense so I look at Wabash starting the year off as the #1 defense until proved otherwise. But hey that's just me. Maybe just a tad bias ;D

GO BASH!

That will have to go to UWW.

Wabash finished the year #1 in total defense so I look at Wabash starting the year off as the #1 defense until proven otherwise. But hey that's just me. Maybe just a tad bias ;D

GO BASH!

tigerfanalso

bashgiant

I appreciate your passion and I know Wabash plays very good defense but not the best in D3.
But if I'm in your shoes, I'd be saying same thing. Hope to meet some of you guys on the 6th.

bashgiant

Quote from: tigerfanalso on July 23, 2014, 11:51:13 AM
bashgiant

I appreciate your passion and I know Wabash plays very good defense but not the best in D3.
But if I'm in your shoes, I'd be saying same thing. Hope to meet some of you guys on the 6th.

I was just going by the ncaa stats which can be found here http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=3. Maybe we will see you at the tailgate before the game and hook you up with some grilled bacon wrapped walleye or striper mmmmmmm goooood!

firstdown

Bashgiant and Tigerfanalso

Wabash finished first in several defensive categories not just for Division 3, but all of NCAA football last season.

In the end stats are stats.  I know that we are all looking forward to September 6th and seeing Hampden Sydney in C'Ville.

jknezek

Quote from: firstdown on July 23, 2014, 12:59:41 PM

Wabash finished first in several defensive categories not just for Division 3, but all of NCAA football last season.

In the end stats are stats.  I know that we are all looking forward to September 6th and seeing Hampden Sydney in C'Ville.

As you said, stats are stats. Would Wabash's stats have been so good if they had played in the WIAC or are the dominant stats a function of playing who they played? The only playoff caliber team Wabash faced last year they gave up 35 points and over 400 yards of offense at home. That's pretty typical yardage for a match up between two good teams in D3, not really indicative of a team with a defense that would stand out at the top level of D3, as the absolute best defense in D3 should.

Now compare that to the team who really did have the best defense in D3 in my opinion, UWW. UWW played 5 playoff caliber teams, giving up 205 yards and 7 points to Washington U, 169 yards and 7 points to St. Norbert, 301 yards and 3 points to Franklin, 398 yards and 17 points to Linfield, 241 yards and 15 points to UMHB, and 338 yards and 14 points to UMU. Only once did UWW give up anything approaching the yardage that Wabash gave up to Witt, and that was to Linfield. Even then, they never conceded more than 1/2 as many points.

It's just common sense to understand that in the small schedule large universe of D3 football, the absolute "best in D3" stat is less than meaningful since there is so little crossover. Not saying Wabash doesn't have a strong defense, they do, but it's always important to keep these kinds of stats in perspective...

bashgiant

Quote from: jknezek on July 23, 2014, 02:13:28 PM
Quote from: firstdown on July 23, 2014, 12:59:41 PM

As you said, stats are stats. Would Wabash's stats have been so good if they had played in the WIAC or are the dominant stats a function of playing who they played? The only playoff caliber team Wabash faced last year they gave up 35 points and over 400 yards of offense at home. That's pretty typical yardage for a match up between two good teams in D3, not really indicative of a team with a defense that would stand out at the top level of D3, as the absolute best defense in D3 should.

Now compare that to the team who really did have the best defense in D3 in my opinion, UWW. UWW played 5 playoff caliber teams, giving up 205 yards and 7 points to Washington U, 169 yards and 7 points to St. Norbert, 301 yards and 3 points to Franklin, 398 yards and 17 points to Linfield, 241 yards and 15 points to UMHB, and 338 yards and 14 points to UMU. Only once did UWW give up anything approaching the yardage that Wabash gave up to Witt, and that was to Linfield. Even then, they never conceded more than 1/2 as many points.

It's just common sense to understand that in the small schedule large universe of D3 football, the absolute "best in D3" stat is less than meaningful since there is so little crossover. Not saying Wabash doesn't have a strong defense, they do, but it's always important to keep these kinds of stats in perspective...

Even the best have an off day ;D