WBB: NEWMAC

Started by Renaissance Coach, December 02, 2004, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

MIT released a presser on this shortly after that tweet (at least it seemed, maybe it was out first and no one saw it).

Here is their release: https://www.mitathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/2020-21/releases/20200911dcl8vv
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

rlk

Quote from: Ron Boerger on September 11, 2020, 12:07:46 PM
Big news from the NBA, too bad nobody reads this conference's board:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1304443132176670722

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

The Grizzlies hired MIT women's coach Sonia Raman as an assistant coach, team says.

Some of us do.

I wonder whether she's the first NBA coach (male or female) with no professional, D1, or D2 background.

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets when I say that she's a brilliant coach and (so far as I know) adored by her players.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: rlk on September 12, 2020, 10:24:54 AM

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

The Grizzlies hired MIT women's coach Sonia Raman as an assistant coach, team says.

Some of us do.

I wonder whether she's the first NBA coach (male or female) with no professional, D1, or D2 background.

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets when I say that she's a brilliant coach and (so far as I know) adored by her players.

A lot of NBA coaches catch on as interns and move up the ranks.  Williams grad and SA assistant is one of them.  He'll likely be an NBA head coach soon without having coached anywhere but the Spurs organization.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

rlk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 12, 2020, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: rlk on September 12, 2020, 10:24:54 AM

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Some of us do.

A lot of NBA coaches catch on as interns and move up the ranks.  Williams grad and SA assistant is one of them.  He'll likely be an NBA head coach soon without having coached anywhere but the Spurs organization.

This isn't quite catching on as an intern -- she's starting out as a full-fledged assistant coach.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The closer we get to the New Year, the more DIII teams are into the season grind. Though, we also hit a time when some teams are not playing for a few weeks while others scatter games around the holidays.

On Thursday's Hoopsville, Dave McHugh chats with several teams that are making headlines with terrific starts or dominating performances. Tune in as we talk to several men's and women's programs that fit the bill around the country.

You can watch the show LIVE (or on demand) here: https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2021-22/dec16 or http://www.d3hoops.com/x/fh5lq

We are also simulcasting on our Facebook Live page (www.facebook.com/Hoopsville) AND tonight on our YouTube page (http://www.youtube.com/Hoopsville)

Guests include (order subject to change):
- Naomi Graves, No. 25 Springfield women's coach
- Pat Juckem, No. 15 WashU men's coach
- Scott Bittner, Stockton men's coach
- Bill Broderick, No. 6 Christopher Newport women's coach

Hoopsville is hosted by Dave McHugh from the the NABC Studio. It is presented by D3hoops.com and thanks to our partner WBCA. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Video Portal (and archives): www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

deiscanton

To families and alumni of the Clark women's basketball team that may want to attend tomorrow night's game at Brandeis, I am referring you to the new Brandeis spectator policy that requires that spectators produce a negative PCR test result from a test administered no more than 72 hours prior to the Brandeis athletic event that the spectator wants to attend.  A vaccine card is not accepted for admission to Brandeis athletic events.   This policy took effect on Friday, December 31, 2021, and is effective for all Brandeis athletic events for the time being, starting with Monday's scheduled women's basketball game between Clark and Brandeis.   There is an exception for spectators currently under a 90 day testing exemption because they have recently recovered from COVID-19, which is mentioned in the policy.

brandeisjudges.com/general/2021-22/releases/SpectatorPolicyJan2022

The Clark at Brandeis game scheduled for Monday, if it takes place, will be streamed on BoxCast and people with Roku TVs can watch it on their smart TVs by selecting the Brandeis channel on the Boxcast Roku app.

deiscanton

Earlier today, the Clark vs Brandeis game was declared to be postponed to a future date to be determined due to COVID-19 protocols.

Last week, on Thursday, Dec. 30, MIT played DII Bentley of the NE10 at the Dana Center in Waltham, MA in a contest that counted for both teams-- it was not an exhibition for MIT.  The game was literally scheduled with 24 hours notice to make up games that MIT and Bentley had to cancel on their regular schedules.  Bentley won, 72-59, and I'll watch the replay of the game tomorrow morning on the NE10Now Streaming service.

NEHoopsFan

Preseason Top 25 is out:

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2022-23/preseason

NEWMAC are well represented with
Smith #7
Springfield #16
Babson #25

Should be an interesting year for the Newmac if teams play up to potential.

BaboNation

Congratulations to Judy Blinstrub on her 700th win at Babson.

It was extra special to reach the milestone at home, just before break, and against a tough opponent.

Framingham State projects to be very good next year as well with everyone back.

rlk

It appears that Smith is the first NEWMAC team to reach the Final Four in women's basketball (Clark did in 1982 and 1983 -- I remember they were a power in men's basketball around then, too -- but NEWMAC and its predecessors didn't exist then, and Clark didn't join until 1994).  Good luck to the Pioneers!

BaboNation

Quote from: rlk on March 17, 2023, 03:08:06 PM
It appears that Smith is the first NEWMAC team to reach the Final Four in women's basketball (Clark did in 1982 and 1983 -- I remember they were a power in men's basketball around then, too -- but NEWMAC and its predecessors didn't exist then, and Clark didn't join until 1994).  Good luck to the Pioneers!

Yes, Smith has had a great season.  Very well coached.  A lot of talent.  And credit to their fans who fill their home gym for games.  Great to see the NEWMAC represented in the Final Four.  (Almost had 2 teams make it).

BaboNation

Wow, Judy Blinstrub is retiring after a tremendous career.  Great opportunity for a new coach who will inherit a terrific program.

https://babsonathletics.com/news/2023/6/30/womens-basketball-blinstrub-announces-retirement-after-39-years-at-babson.aspx