WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Watched quite a bit of the George Fox/Whitworth game last evening.
Biggest takeaway.....both of these teams play non-stop, in your face defense.
Another thing GF does is switch their defense up constantly.
Man on one possession, 2/3 zone on the next, half court trap on the next, press on the next & on and on it goes the entire game.
They contest virtually every shot, very few times players get open looks & when you do, you better hit them.
Whitworth was able to reverse the ball pretty quickly on some plays but it just seemed the shots were rushed & just didn't fall that often.
They also have a very skilled point who runs their offense with control.
Who knows how things will end up as we always have upsets but, George Fox appears to be a very good team & well coached.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on February 14, 2015, 08:49:59 AM
Watched quite a bit of the George Fox/Whitworth game last evening.
Biggest takeaway.....both of these teams play non-stop, in your face defense.
Another thing GF does is switch their defense up constantly.
Man on one possession, 2/3 zone on the next, half court trap on the next, press on the next & on and on it goes the entire game.
They contest virtually every shot, very few times players get open looks & when you do, you better hit them.
Whitworth was able to reverse the ball pretty quickly on some plays but it just seemed the shots were rushed & just didn't fall that often.
They also have a very skilled point who runs their offense with control.
Who knows how things will end up as we always have upsets but, George Fox appears to be a very good team & well coached.

Sounds like a team that would make the Final 4.

ronk

This week's regional ranking prediction:

1. Salisbury
2. Scranton
3. Stevenson
4. McDaniel
5. Elizabethtown
6. Catholic

saratoga

Ronk:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Muhlenberg takes the place of either E-town or Catholic.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on February 17, 2015, 04:07:01 AM
Ronk:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Muhlenberg takes the place of either E-town or Catholic.

Saratoga,
   You're right; the Mules got off to such a slow start(3-5) that I forgot about them, including beating E-town this past week.

This week's regional ranking prediction:

1. Salisbury    22-1   4-1(vrro)
2. Scranton    22-2   5-1
3. Stevenson  20-2   0-2
4. McDaniel    22-1   0-0
5. Muhlenberg  16-6  2-2
6. Catholic      16-7   3-3

lefty2

Quote from: saratoga on February 17, 2015, 04:07:01 AM
Ronk:
Saratoga,

4:07 a.m.?  Were you up late or up early?
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

saratoga

Lefty:
The "up late" nights are but a distant memory.
Most definitely an up early day.

ronk

After tonite's action, the Lady Royals will host the loser of Saturday's E-town @ Susquehanna because Moravian would lose a tie-breaker with that loser. In the other semifinal, Catholic will play the winner of E-town-Susquehanna and will host if the Cards beat Scranton or E-town wins. Otherwise, Susquehanna will host.

sp0rtsfan

Nice game by the Lady Royals yesterday ! It's great to see Lindsay continue her super effort on O and D....However, the team needs to cut way down on the TO's if they're going to beat teams who play a FDU-esq brand of basketball.  Go Royals !

ronk

Quote from: sp0rtsfan on February 22, 2015, 04:08:15 PM
Nice game by the Lady Royals yesterday ! It's great to see Lindsay continue her super effort on O and D....However, the team needs to cut way down on the TO's if they're going to beat teams who play a FDU-esq brand of basketball.  Go Royals !

Or anyone in the postseason who plays defense. The opposition will not be passive.

sp0rtsfan

Good luck to the Lady Royals tonight ! After what they did to Catholic on Saturday, it seems they're ready for a good play-off run....I hope they're carrying a chip on their shoulder. We already saw how it propelled FDU last year and into this season.

sp0rtsfan

I'm anxious to make the next trip to the Electric City on Saturday and hopeful the ride home will be easier than last week. Hey, I need to make amends for getting down on the Lady Royals in a prior post. I should not have over looked their big victory over Tufts earlier in the season.

ronk

Quote from: sp0rtsfan on February 26, 2015, 11:23:24 AM
I'm anxious to make the next trip to the Electric City on Saturday and hopeful the ride home will be easier than last week. Hey, I need to make amends for getting down on the Lady Royals in a prior post. I should not have over looked their big victory over Tufts earlier in the season.

No problem; I've been critical, also, because it takes more than talent to make a run; namely, execution,improvement, and good fortune. Coach Donahue will have his team prepared. I'll be going to the men's game @ Catholic.

saratoga

Scranton vs. Catholic...
No execution, no game plan, nothing that resembled a well oiled & confident group of players.
First off, congratulations to Coach Donahue...he took a team that was blasted one week ago & totally regrouped his kids & had Scranton playing his game from the opening tip.
I have never seen a Lady Royal team in the last 25 years look so unprepared, lost & unable to bring the game back to their strengths.
If the Scranton job truly does open up, i would hope Coach Donahue would have an interest.
Creating a 30 point turnaround in 1 week is no easy task & he pulled it off flawlessly.
The Lady Royals played tight from the tip & had no answer or adjustments that mattered the entire game.
This team should be riding the home court wave for at least the first round but an absolutely horrible game may have cost them dearly should they even survive the initial weekend.

ronk

With the override that I didn't see the game since I went to the men's game, I had privately counseled that the Lady Royals' 3-pt shooting wasn't going to be as bad as 2-22 @ Catholic or as good as 12-23 @ Scranton, that the outcome was going to depend on other things, and that Coach Donahue was going to make things very tough defensively. Still, I was surprised to see the disparity in rebounding(-14) and TOs(+11). Hopefully, they'll learn in a hurry(or remember the 2nd half of the Montclair NCAA game last season)  that postseason is a different animal, that the opposition is not going to let u beat them with your strengths, etc. They have the talent to make it through the regional, but execution will decide thereafter.