WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp0rtsfan

Quote from: saratoga on February 28, 2015, 06:05:20 PM
Scranton vs. Catholic...
No execution, no game plan, nothing that resembled a well oiled & confident group of players.
First off, congratulations to Coach Donahue...he took a team that was blasted one week ago & totally regrouped his kids & had Scranton playing his game from the opening tip.
I have never seen a Lady Royal team in the last 25 years look so unprepared, lost & unable to bring the game back to their strengths.
If the Scranton job truly does open up, i would hope Coach Donahue would have an interest.
Creating a 30 point turnaround in 1 week is no easy task & he pulled it off flawlessly.
The Lady Royals played tight from the tip & had no answer or adjustments that mattered the entire game.
This team should be riding the home court wave for at least the first round but an absolutely horrible game may have cost them dearly should they even survive the initial weekend.

Uggh ! This loss was a surprising disappointment for the Lady Royals and their fans. True, there's lots of good points made here about why they lost , however, I'm not sure lack of preparation had anything to do with missing 2 easy uncontested layups in the opening minutes of the game and zero scoring production from the 2 guard position. I'm also concerned about how Catholic's speedy guard, DeSantis, blew into the lane so many times.

saratoga

As we all know by now, the Lady Royal's then followed up that disaster vs. Catholic with an even more lackluster effort in the NCAA first round for a rather uncerimonious quick exit at home.
Truly a team that had the talent to go much further than one & done.
They simply never improved offensively as a team (far too much expected from 1 or 2 players), never developed their inside game with any degree of consistency & refused to make defensive adjustments when guards started blowing past our guards for one easy layup after another.
With all the big leads they had against certain teams, they never worked on their zone D, press or any other variation of defensive sets in real time against real competition.
However, all that may change as the position for Head Coach has now been posted.
Here's hoping a ton of excellent & qualified coaches, that are willing to recruit nationally, are brushing up their resumes for the chance to lead this university & team back to the greatness we've all come to expect.
The announcement should be in the next several weeks so that the new coach can meet & greet the current players, meet the press & continue recruiting.
All the best to the selection committee.....may we bring in the absolute best coach out there.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on March 16, 2015, 10:53:08 PM
As we all know by now, the Lady Royal's then followed up that disaster vs. Catholic with an even more lackluster effort in the NCAA first round for a rather uncerimonious quick exit at home.
Truly a team that had the talent to go much further than one & done.
They simply never improved offensively as a team (far too much expected from 1 or 2 players), never developed their inside game with any degree of consistency & refused to make defensive adjustments when guards started blowing past our guards for one easy layup after another.
With all the big leads they had against certain teams, they never worked on their zone D, press or any other variation of defensive sets in real time against real competition.
However, all that may change as the position for Head Coach has now been posted.
Here's hoping a ton of excellent & qualified coaches, that are willing to recruit nationally, are brushing up their resumes for the chance to lead this university & team back to the greatness we've all come to expect.
The announcement should be in the next several weeks so that the new coach can meet & greet the current players, meet the press & continue recruiting.
All the best to the selection committee.....may we bring in the absolute best coach out there.

Do you have a master's degree? I think we've satisfied the 3 years of intercollegiate "coaching" requirement. ::)

saratoga

Ronk:
With all your AAU contacts, this may be the time for your return to the Electric City!  ;)

NEPAFAN

What about some current alumni coaches who have had recent success?

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on March 17, 2015, 02:28:23 PM

Well, there's the current interim coach who would need to decide if the fulltime position appeals to her, Kate P(Cabrini), who I speculate wouldn't want to leave suburban Philly families and her current situation, and Kelly Lewandowski(Salisbury), who's more flexible and loses her best players to graduation this year.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on March 17, 2015, 08:39:26 PM

Well, there's the current interim coach who would need to decide if the fulltime position appeals to her, Kate P(Cabrini), who I speculate wouldn't want to leave suburban Philly families and her current situation, and Kelly Lewandowski(Salisbury), who's more flexible and loses her best players to graduation this year.

That interim screams "placeholder" to me.  I think if they were going to consider her, they'd've done it before posting the position.  I can't imagine they'll follow a long tenured coach with one in her fifties.

Pearson makes the most sense to me, but I'm not sure she's up for leaving.  As for Lewandowski, they did well this year, but the super talented senior class were not her recruits, and I don't know that they have world beaters behind them - besides, Salisbury isn't a bad situation to be in these days.

I've been hearing a lot of people itching to move.  I'd guess they get 300 resumes and 60 serious candidates.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

NEPAFAN

What about the current Men's assistant pulling a Strong and moving over to coach the Women?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 18, 2015, 07:44:58 AM

That interim screams "placeholder" to me.  I think if they were going to consider her, they'd've done it before posting the position.  I can't imagine they'll follow a long tenured coach with one in her fifties.

Pearson makes the most sense to me, but I'm not sure she's up for leaving.  As for Lewandowski, they did well this year, but the super talented senior class were not her recruits, and I don't know that they have world beaters behind them - besides, Salisbury isn't a bad situation to be in these days.

I've been hearing a lot of people itching to move.  I'd guess they get 300 resumes and 60 serious candidates.

There are other factors in play... not necessarily Scranton's. I am not at liberty to say, but trust me when I saw it isn't as cut and dry as having Scranton change the title.

BTW - from what I gathered, Goucher had about 100 applications for it's job in two weeks. To be honest... 300 resumes is a bit of a stretch for a lot of jobs including Scranton's. That would be an assistant or head coach from 65% of all Division III institutions, as an example.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 18, 2015, 12:39:45 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 18, 2015, 07:44:58 AM

There are other factors in play... not necessarily Scranton's. I am not at liberty to say, but trust me when I saw it isn't as cut and dry as having Scranton change the title.

BTW - from what I gathered, Goucher had about 100 applications for it's job in two weeks. To be honest... 300 resumes is a bit of a stretch for a lot of jobs including Scranton's. That would be an assistant or head coach from 65% of all Division III institutions, as an example.

That probably reflects the unwillingness to deal with the pressure of D3hoops watching your every move from 40 feet away. ::)

kate

Add one following this "incredible" discussion!  Suppose we could all write a book  :o!

saratoga

D-mac:
I've got to admit, I have no idea what your cryptic first sentence is even referring to.
The Royals let you in on things that you can't divulge these days?
If Goucher received 100 applications in 2 weeks for that job, why would approx. 300 resumes heading to Scranton be a stretch?
Between Head Coaches looking to upgrade and various assistants looking for a great first stop, I think something in that range is absolutely possible.
I agree with Hoops Fan, based upon the sample size of what was accomplished this season, I would suggest Scranton will not renew the contract of the interim coach.
There are many outstanding young coaches out there...time to bring the best of the best in.

ronk

Quote from: kate on March 18, 2015, 04:03:12 PM
Add one following this "incredible" discussion!  Suppose we could all write a book  :o!

Kate,
  Hard to believe it's been 4 seasons since we were together at the Gwynedd-Mercy tipoff tourney and your Aggies with Brenda Coll defeated the Lady Royals; this was also 6 weeks before Meredith Mesaris would arrive for the 2nd semester and a noteworthy career.

ronk

Since it's been 45 years since Scranton last named a bball head coach, I'll mention that the Jesuit announcement protocol resembles the Papal's - white smoke, they've made a decision. However, if it's black smoke with a sulphur odor, that means wind blowing over the Taylor culm dumps. ::)

bill

Quote from: saratoga on March 18, 2015, 06:31:37 PM
, I would suggest Scranton will not renew the contract of the interim coach.
There are many outstanding young coaches out there...time to bring the best of the best in.

Contract? Wow, you guys are way ahead of us. We work on yearly appointments, and can be fired at any time! No contracts at FDU....
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."