WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is a good hire... it is just too bad they had to wait until now to move forward with a women's coach decision. I'm not sure if people will see the affects of this slow hiring process this year, but they will see it during the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 10, 2015, 06:48:32 PM
It is a good hire... it is just too bad they had to wait until now to move forward with a women's coach decision. I'm not sure if people will see the affects of this slow hiring process this year, but they will see it during the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons.

I think 2016-17 will be better than this coming season and I'm trying to help the following seasons to be better, still.

saratoga

Not planning on passing out envelops of cash to HS seniors are you?  :o

NEPAFAN

Has to be a bit awkward with Toby sticking around.

Toga, can you expand on what you know about Martin? I also hear that Kevin Southard has left Scranton, seems like the Athletic department is getting revamped.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on August 10, 2015, 09:09:04 PM

Toga, can you expand on what you know about Martin? I also hear that Kevin Southard has left Scranton, seems like the Athletic department is getting revamped.

When Kevin emailed me 2 weeks ago, he signed it as assistant AD - maybe he's going to be that position instead of SID.

ronk

Dave Martin was the chairman of the women's committee, NCAA D3 until it was mentioned in May by Dave McHugh that he was stepping down to give someone else the opportunity. He was to continue serving as the Mid-Atlantic region rep; don't know if that will change with him switching to a different school/conference in the same region. 

HonestAbe

Quote from: ronk on August 10, 2015, 09:23:32 PM

When Kevin emailed me 2 weeks ago, he signed it as assistant AD - maybe he's going to be that position instead of SID.

Kevin retired his last day is sometime in the beginning of August he might already be gone if the last time you heard from him was 2 weeks ago.

Royals81

Very pleased with the University's new AD hire.  He certainly knows D3, knows the area and has a proven track record at Misericordia.  With this hire completed, hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer for the announcement that a new Lady Royals coaching staff has been selected and is in place.  The new hires will really have to hit the ground running.  I'm not sure you can make up for several months of indecisiveness in just a few weeks prior to the start of preseason conditioning.  But at least some progress has been made since the middle of May.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on August 10, 2015, 07:57:00 PM
Not planning on passing out envelops of cash to HS seniors are you?  :o

No, but the incoming class has special this-year-only deal that they could bring along their own coach ::); looks like it's a class of 5 - a point guard, 2 combos, a wing, and a post; I've seen the PG and W in person, but the CGs only on youtube and the post only in photos; they'll compete for the 2 open starting positions and the prime reserve time likely this season. 

NEPAFAN

"I am thrilled and humbled to have this opportunity and I am very excited," said Martin, a Dunmore resident who spent more than a decade leading and building the athletic programs at Misericordia University.

"There is great history and great tradition and we are at a time when we can move things forward. We have land, construction of new facilities is on the horizon. There is potential to add programs. I am looking forward to the challenges and the opportunity."

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/u-of-s-names-martin-director-of-athletics-1.1925163
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on August 11, 2015, 09:44:01 AM
"I am thrilled and humbled to have this opportunity and I am very excited," said Martin, a Dunmore resident who spent more than a decade leading and building the athletic programs at Misericordia University.

"There is great history and great tradition and we are at a time when we can move things forward. We have land, construction of new facilities is on the horizon. There is potential to add programs. I am looking forward to the challenges and the opportunity."

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/u-of-s-names-martin-director-of-athletics-1.1925163

I suppose the land is part of the South Side area, but what new facilities are being contemplated?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

A couple of other items not mentioned about Martin:
- Former MBB committee chair as well who has pushed for transparency during his tenure on the men's committee and now on the women's committee.
- Martin also helped spearhead the men's all-star game being introduced in Salem.
- He was Misericordia's men's basketball coach for a long time and was rather successful. Also took over the women's team halfway through a season and led them to an improbable NCAA tournament berth. He has told me he doesn't plan to be the interim women's coach at Scranton :-)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

NEPA:

Get your order in now for the new UofS football jerseys.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: saratoga on August 11, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
NEPA:

Just out of curiosity, when did Scranton drop football?

ronk

Quote from: Warren Thompson on August 11, 2015, 05:16:18 PM
Quote from: saratoga on August 11, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
NEPA:

Just out of curiosity, when did Scranton drop football?

I think it was after the 1960 season-there were former football players still attending class when I started in '62.