WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Juan

Sports fan big difference this year is that we have a coach that makes adjustment in the game.Scranton has alot of match up problems for teams we play great defense 7th in the Country,on offense they are 16th;they are 3rd overall just behind Thomas More and Amherst and there sos is 68th out of 400 and some.FDU is 110 offense 67 defense 110 overall and sos 220 I think before you worry about FDU getting there hands on Scranton you should worry about winning your divison.If you don't win the Freedom you might not get in.

San Juan

Since I was bored I went through the ncaa stats the ones I posted before where from Massey Ratings.This is from NCAA as of 2/4/16 Scranton scoring offense 47th 71.4per game,scoring defense 21st 51.7,field goal percentage 1st at 48.3 percent and rebound margin 22nd 9.1 so there is some stats.

sp0rtsfan

Quote from: San Juan on February 08, 2016, 12:18:26 PM
Sports fan big difference this year is that we have a coach that makes adjustment in the game.Scranton has alot of match up problems for teams we play great defense 7th in the Country,on offense they are 16th;they are 3rd overall just behind Thomas More and Amherst and there sos is 68th out of 400 and some.FDU is 110 offense 67 defense 110 overall and sos 220 I think before you worry about FDU getting there hands on Scranton you should worry about winning your divison.If you don't win the Freedom you might not get in.
San Juan: If a head to head ever happens, I agree that Scranton will probably have the edge in coaching. Also, based on the way DeSales shredded FDU in their first meeting (and the Lady Royals did the same to DeSales),  one has to wonder if the Devils will even make it to the Dance. My point is that the Purple and White have not played a team yet as quick, athletic, and aggressive as the Devils and will need to be physically tough and smart to beat them.

San Juan

I guess you didn't see the Lady Royals play in Vegas or most of there games!Because Scranton is also fast with there guards and the bigs can run to.See something Scranton has is height and you can't teach height bottom line.

San Juan

One other thing Scranton is very physical the stats don't lie

saratoga

Just to make sure we're all on the same page...trust me, I love everything about the Lady Royals.

My only comment was that it appears they sometimes drift in & out of the game intensity wise & in big games, they'll need to nail the open shot a bit more than they have been.

They are currently the # 4 team in the country (when was the last time they were rated this high?), and Trevor clearly is in control of this team & does his best to keep them ready for every possession.

If they stay focused, even in the games they get a decent lead, they'll be fine.
Just need to keep running their offense & keep the defensive pressure on.

Still a lot of basketball to be played & I think the memory of blasting Catholic by about 25 in the last regular season game last year & then just 1 week later losing to the very same Cardinal team for the Landmark championship by 1 has to be on their minds.

Right now they'll be the number 1 Regional team in the Mid-Atlantic & that's exactly where you want to be this time of year so those home tournament games come your way.

They've earned everything by working exceptionally hard with fantastic leadership.
They have shown that even on some nights when the shots aren't falling, if they keep the defensive pressure on...they'll win.

Totally a team effort to get this far...a team effort to keep it going.

Pat Coleman

Alright, folks -- the NCAA's first women's basketball regional rankings are posted. Check out the full list from D3hoops.com:
http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/02/10/first-2016-regional-rankings-released-today/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

San Juan

Congratulations to Sarah Payonk for her 2nd triple double of the year and also to the whole team.Keep it up Ladies and take it one game at a time.

ronk

Lady Royals clinch #1 seed in conference tourney.

lefty2

The best part of coach Woodruff's interview with John Mendola yesterday was that it was on the radio.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

sp0rtsfan

On all levels, it was a great day at the Long Center on Saturday. Although I'm still waiting for them to beat a Top 20 team, I agree with all on this board that the Lady Royals are a very good team. In my opinion, the biggest year to year improvements I noticed are: (1) Overall conditioning of the players, especially Roman; (2) The maturity level and leadership of the seniors; (3) the addition of Mann - she's a great talent.

saratoga

So far in the first half it's very clear that the Lady Royals have much, much work to do before the playoffs.
A very sloppy game with far too many unforced turnovers.
If some kids can't step up and nail some open looks, teams will start playing them 5 on 2.
Talk about playing down to the competition.

redrhino

It's sad, but Saratoga is right. The Lady Royals will have to bring another level of play with them to Washington D.C. this weekend. The team's talent is evident, but focus does not seem to be there at the time of year when focus is most important.

I am sure that the team does not want to carry a perfect record all the way through the schedule only to lose it in the last regular season game. We will see how they come out against Catholic.

On the upside, Katie Feehery brought some game off the bench, 6 points, 5 rebounds, a couple of blocks in thirteen minutes of action--I like what this young women brings to the court.

Here's hoping the team regains its form against the Cardinals; they are better than Catholic but will need to be ready to play with intensity.

ronk

Coach Donohue has beaten Scranton a number of times with a talent disadvantage, so I look for another stern test Saturday. 9 turnovers for the regulars in half a game against MMA, 14 offensive rebounds allowed, and only 6 shots for Alexix were the major areas of concern.
On MMA's behalf, I will say that this was the most competitive MMA team that Scranton has played. 

Royals81

Dave,

Per your post from a few days ago on the Men's Landmark page regarding Scranton's coaching search:

"As for Scranton... I thought then, and I currently think, they handled it poorly. I think they have been saved by bringing in Dave Martin who brought in, kind of, Trevor Woodruff. If you have read the boards, you will see I have stated this often - even stated it on Hoopsville. That decision doesn't change how I felt it was working out at the beginning - or middle. And while I know Trevor is working hard at recruiting, I do worry they will have a bit of a lull."

Could you expand on your last statement?  Why do you think the Lady Royals might have a "bit of a lull" in recruiting? 
Back in September, I thought much the same but now I'm not sure how much of a recruiting dropoff will occur given Coach Woodruff's strong performance.