WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The holiday break for some teams has started and for others is about to begin. Where does everyone stand? What have we learned as we finish the first "half" of the season? On Sunday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave talks to some teams who are making waves early and takes the pulse of the season so far.

It is also the First Semester Finale of Hoopsville which will be off the air for the holidays returning on Thursday, January 5, 2017.

You can watch Hoopsville starting at 7:00 PM here: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/dec18

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Veronica Nolt, Elizabethtown women's coach
- Dan Raymond, Ithaca women's coach
- Marc Brown, New Jersey City men's coach
- Other guests to be determined

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

A reminder that Thursday's edition of Hoopsville will not take place due to D3football.com coverage of Gagliardi Trophy and Stagg Bowl next week. We will be back on air Sunday, December 18 for the final show before the Christmas holiday. Hoopsville will then return on January 5, 2017 and air Sundays and Thursdays at 7:00 PM ET for the rest of the season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

I realize the all important NCAA Regional Rankings are still a month away but if they were coming out this week, they might look like this:

1. Scranton (11-0)
2. Christopher Newport (11-0)
3. Mary Washington (11-0)
4. Messiah (11-0)
5. E-town (10-1)
6. Dickinson (8-1)
7. Susquehanna (10-1)
8. Catholic (9-2)

I think at some point Messiah needs to start getting someones attention that votes.
They are very quietly, methodically & efficiently taking the opposition apart.

With Texas Tyler & Albright picking up their third losses already, time for the Falcons to start moving up.

Regarding Scranton, looks like their highly touted DII ROY transfer will not be suiting up this season as her summer knee injury has not progressed to where it needs to be for her to safely play right now.
Could have been a huge X factor heading into league play...now it's up to other kids to step up & give the Lady Royals some valuable minutes.

E-town & Susquehanna off to their best starts in several years & before it's all over, don't be surprised to see Muhlenberg win the Centennial.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on January 02, 2017, 10:40:45 PM
I realize the all important NCAA Regional Rankings are still a month away but if they were coming out this week, they might look like this:

1. Scranton (11-0)
2. Christopher Newport (11-0)
3. Mary Washington (11-0)
4. Messiah (11-0)
5. E-town (10-1)
6. Dickinson (8-1)
7. Susquehanna (10-1)
8. Catholic (9-2)

I think at some point Messiah needs to start getting someones attention that votes.
They are very quietly, methodically & efficiently taking the opposition apart.

With Texas Tyler & Albright picking up their third losses already, time for the Falcons to start moving up.

Regarding Scranton, looks like their highly touted DII ROY transfer will not be suiting up this season as her summer knee injury has not progressed to where it needs to be for her to safely play right now.
Could have been a huge X factor heading into league play...now it's up to other kids to step up & give the Lady Royals some valuable minutes.

E-town & Susquehanna off to their best starts in several years & before it's all over, don't be surprised to see Muhlenberg win the Centennial.

Your analysis looks fine to me; I'd just add Moravian and Marymount on the edge of joining that group.

saratoga

Ronk:

Absolutely.

Two weeks from now after 4 or 5 league games are in the books, this may look a little different.

By the time Feb. rolls around & the first Regional is actually released, there could be a serious reshuffling of many of these very same teams.

gordonmann

Our new Top 25 was posted late last night, but Messiah is now in it.

http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2016-17/week5

saratoga

Glad they're finally noticed.
They'll be even higher by next week.
With the exception of the game at Albright to end the regular season, I see no other school in their conference giving them a serious battle.
They could run the table.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: saratoga on January 04, 2017, 09:17:46 PM
Glad they're finally noticed.
They'll be even higher by next week.
With the exception of the game at Albright to end the regular season, I see no other school in their conference giving them a serious battle.
They could run the table.

And that... is the official jinx. Can't tell you how many times either a team gets ranked... or someone calls for the chance of a table run... that a team then takes a loss.

In this conference, I think it is a stretch to say Messiah can get past Stevenson or Albright alone and assume a win. Heck, Messiah hasn't played either team this season. That's four games alone starting this Saturday with Stevenson. And they still have Lycoming who is having a good season... and who knows if they overlook anyone else.

Awfully early to call for a run of the table in a conference that has proven to be very difficult.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

They've already crushed Lycoming 83/42.
Even when they play in Billport, I don't see the Lady Warriors flipping 41 points.

That conference is overall very weak and I still contend that barring any serious injuries, Messiah is the best in the Commonwealth this season & they have more than enough talent to be undefeated by the time they roll into Reading.

Statistically speaking, much easier for you to predict a loss or two along the way.

I'll stick with my original "jinx".

I have no horse in this race, just want to see good teams get the credit they deserve.

augie

Saratoga; Alvernia 0-13 will be the one to beat Messiah (joking)How long before that job is opened again for a Head Coach.Also heard Abington Heights is looking for a Womens Head coach she is 2-8 (Karma is great)I'm all smiles and you know why!

gordonmann

This week's Around the Region catches up with the Lady Royals.

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/mid-atlantic/2016-17/scranton-flush-with-talent

I watched them play Stockton earlier this year and they look really, really good.

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on January 11, 2017, 01:44:06 PM
This week's Around the Region catches up with the Lady Royals.

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/mid-atlantic/2016-17/scranton-flush-with-talent

I watched them play Stockton earlier this year and they look really, really good.

Nice report,especially the quotes from Woodruff and Mann. "No garbage time in good programs" - I like that.
  The Lady Royals have been tested already a few more times than last year. Neumann, for example, hasn't played as well since as they did in extending Scranton 3 weeks ago. And, luckily, they avoided the injury bug last season that has popped up twice this year(Julia Gantz and Emily Sheehan). Still a work in progress.

gordonmann

I was really impressed when I watched them play Stockton online. More balanced scoring than a year ago, more depth. I think the Top 5 programs -- and maybe a couple others -- are really, really good this year. I don't remember recent years where the top of Division III women's basketball was as strong as it is right now.

saratoga

Gordon:

I agree...nice article on a great group of kids & a coach that keeps them focused.

Two serious injuries to starters but as the saying goes...one door closes & another opens up for someone else.

One game at a time.

ronk

Another tester tonite for the Lady Royals as they come back from 8 down to defeat Susquehanna, despite Susque playing w/o arguably their best player, Angie Schedler, out 4 the past 3 weeks. Congrats to Susquehanna Coach Reed for the novel defense, man-to-man on Sarah Payonk and a 1-3 zone on the rest to contest Alexix Roman. It was very effective and if Bridgette Mann had shot tonite like she did this past Saturday(2-15), the Lady Royals would have been in big trouble. But, she was normal Bridgette(8-14) and pulled Scranton through. Kudos also to Katie Broderick(7 pts and 6 assists) and Denise Rizzo for a good limited-time performance.

augie

Wait a minute they didn't play man on Payonk everytime she touch the ball she was double team just like Roman.The problem the lady Royals are having in my eyes is that their offense is very stagnant right now.I think Trevor knows that because he was trying to get them to move the ball all night sitting right across from him.Another thing when your ranked you have to play your A game every night because every team throws the kitchen sink at you.Believe me one of Scrantons best players was off tonight so just image if she was on it would also be a different outcome.So let's ni use that analysis.