WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

There is a scenario Saturday where Moravian wins @ Catholic and E-town loses @ Susquehanna; Moravian and E-town would tie for 3rd @ 8-6; E-town would finish 4th by virtue of Moravian having a better record(2-0) against Catholic who would be the tiebreaker down at #6 in the conference.  In this case, the Lady Royals would host E-town and Juniata would host Moravian in the semis.

Rofrog

ronk

Like the men, this may have been the most competitive season in Landmark history with 6 teams competing for the 4 playoff spots in the final week, the 7th place team(Drew) beating 2 of the playoff teams(Juniata,Moravian), Scranton needing OT twice to beat Moravian, and Goucher surviving in this strong conference despite having only 6 or 7 players for most of their schedule.
  The nonconference record of Scranton, Juniata, and Moravian was 32-1 and among their victims were 7 teams with at least 19 victories(Cabrini, Messiah, Wheaton(IL), Randolph-Macon, FDU, TCNJ, and Albright) and 2 others(Marymount, Gettysburg) by Catholic and E-town.
   Talked briefly with Goucher HC Preston yesterday before her game with Scranton and she feels good with how her recruiting is going, not just in the state of Maryland, but also out of the Mid-Atlantic region to include nationally. Turns out, she was interested in 2 players from 1 team that also interested me, but Goucher didn't offer their desired majors. So, it looks like there will be competition from Goucher in the near future.
    Semis Wednesday:

Moravian @ Scranton; E-town @ Juniata

saratoga

Is there possibly a wormhole that exists for three Landmark teams to get bids to the NCAA tournament?

What if.....

Moravian upsets both Scranton & Juniata (should they defeat E-town).

Moravian gets the automatic....

Scranton will certainly get a Pool C and...

Would the powers that be also reward Juniata for a 22 win season?

Personally, I'd just rather see the Lady Royals take the automatic & rain on everyone else's parade but....... I think the possibility does exist that under the right conditions, there could be 3 Landmark teams in the dance.

ronk

Juniata would probably have a good chance in that scenario, being 2nd to the table for the Mid-Atlantic after Scranton who would go early after the 2 NESCAC reps and currently with a 3-1 vrro, if their opponents continue to be ranked.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA released the third set of women's basketball regional rankings with few changes from last week's version. This is the final set that we'll see before the Tournament bracket is released on Monday. Full list here: http://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Saratoga:Moravian is out!Great adjustments by Coach Woodruff and staff in 2nd half.Saratoga I think me and you should broadcast the next game and have ronk interviewing the floor.We can do a better job.One thing I can say Dean,Harry Scranton is very young also.

ronk

Quote from: Rofrog on February 21, 2018, 08:45:02 PM
Saratoga:Moravian is out!Great adjustments by Coach Woodruff and staff in 2nd half.Saratoga I think me and you should broadcast the next game and have ronk interviewing the floor.We can do a better job.One thing I can say Dean,Harry Scranton is very young also.

No, Dean is very good at play-by-play and Harry very perceptive at analysis - what needs to happen, what is/isn't happening, and why. I have more problems with buffering on the video transmissions.

Rofrog

Ronk I have to disagree:He is still calling players out from two years ago.Mike Remish and John McCormick where great play bye play.Not trying to get any points but Dave McHugh is probably the best announcer in D3 and I have been to alot of colleges my friend.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on February 21, 2018, 09:10:29 PM

No, Dean is very good at play-by-play and Harry very perceptive at analysis - what needs to happen, what is/isn't happening, and why. I have more problems with buffering on the video transmissions.

Ronk - I know Stretch is having issues these days... but maybe your computer connection struggles? I also know that Stretch can't provide variable bit-rate as of yet (it is a long story and I don't want to get started on it, honestly)... so if you connection is struggling with 720 HD... your stream is going to buffer. So... it could be a lot of things. SMH
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

Rofrog;

Completely agree that there is sometimes way too much chatter on the broadcasts.

There is a point that in the role of "color commentator" you let the "play by play' announcer do his or her job & stop talking over, under, around & through them, regardless of the point you're trying to make.

Additionally, although it's nice to know Moravian "is young"...(stated nearly 15 times throughout the broadcast), does he even realize the Lady Royals start 3 sophomores & a junior?

When it's mentioned that tonights opposition has "only 4 seniors on the team", does he even realize the Lady Royals have only two?

Although it's nice to hear repeatedly how Moravian is having "an off night"...do you for even one moment think the Scranton defense had anything to do with that?

I get that you don't want to come off as broadcast homers (such as John Sterling & Suzy) but in that process, try to find the positives your own school is accomplishing and stop acting like every team we face is either UConn or so young they just were brought up from an 8th. grade CYO team to fill in.

Regardless of where the Lady Royals season ends, they have turned in one heck of a remarkable year and in that process, they have played defense with pride & passion and their game plans coach has put together have been executed flawlessly thus far.

So the next time you want to reference a "young" group of kids, start by getting acquainted with the roster of the team you're doing the "color" for.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 21, 2018, 10:02:39 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 21, 2018, 09:10:29 PM

Dave - Thanks for your thoughts.

Ronk - I know Stretch is having issues these days... but maybe your computer connection struggles? I also know that Stretch can't provide variable bit-rate as of yet (it is a long story and I don't want to get started on it, honestly)... so if you connection is struggling with 720 HD... your stream is going to buffer. So... it could be a lot of things. SMH

NEPAFAN

have you heard some of the other commentators around d3? Come on let's lay off these guys.

Dean is a rarity in d3...professional level play by play...from a non-student.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

NEPA:

No issue with Dean at all, he does a great job.

It's the visiting color commentator that doesn't stop talking & runs into Dean's conversation all game.

Add to the conversation, don't detract from it.

Rofrog

Nepafan:But it is okay for you to constamtly bash Goucher calling the kettle black my friend.