Richie Marquez
Sr.
Redlands
GK
Brandt Rentel
Sr.
Oberlin
* previous D3soccer.com All-America honors[/I

How does Conn College's Bill Hawkey get POY award in NESCAC yet doesn't make this AllAmerican team while 3 other NESCAC players who were not their leagues POY make this AllStar team?  Seems very strange to me. Hawkey deserves a spot on this team.

2013 MEN'S COACH OF THE YEAR
Tim Oswald, Rutgers-Camden (23-1-2) - 2013 National Runner-up

lastguyoffthebench

Maybe the limited schedule and low finish in the NESCAC with no post season win put him on the outside looking in, especially with guys putting up better numbers on perennial powerhouses that led teams further into the postseason.   Even though as POY with votes by NESCAC coaches, does 9 goals and 5 assists cut it on the national scale?

I thought the D3 Forward of the Year was a coinflip in that of Ryan vs Wood, given his [Ryans] value to the team and minutes played (1800) vs Joshua Wood (1200).  With almost identical numbers, games played, and a title to boot, I like the nod to the senior, Wood.  I just can't imagine the numbers Wood could have put up if he played 70-80 minutes a game in the MAC...

D3 Mid of the Year, no brainer.  Payne is a monster! Can really see Messiah winning it again next year with his leadership and only losing 3 starters. 

D3 Defender of the Year, while Figura got it (which I also predicted)... I was also impressed with Beale, Berkowitz, and Robbins.  I'm expecting another deep run by Loras next season.

Mike Randall was 2nd team all conference in the NJAC...  surprised by his selection as GK of Year, but he played every minute (2400 of them) this season, and made some big time saves in big time moments.  Would have thought Faye was in the running and he didn't crack 3rd team.

Coach of Year was a coinflip with McCarty or Oswald, but also would not have surprised me to see Wags from F&M get the nod.

LaPaz

Hawkey was a great striker but honestly scored most of his goals in games out of conference. He was shut down by the better teams in conference. The one omit that I am suprised about is the actual best player in Nescac hands down and who did the most for his team would be Ben Brewster. The guy was an animal on the field.

All NESCAC

Quote from: LaPaz on December 24, 2013, 11:13:01 AM
Hawkey was a great striker but honestly scored most of his goals in games out of conference. He was shut down by the better teams in conference. The one omit that I am suprised about is the actual best player in Nescac hands down and who did the most for his team would be Ben Brewster. The guy was an animal on the field.

You can make the same argument for Hawkey as you do for Brewster as where would Conn have been without Hawkey this year, especially since he was doubled covered for most games...no one, and I repeat no one, played a better target forward this year in the NESCAC than Hawkey he was beat, battered and doubled by every team, yet held the ball and created opportunities for himself and his teammates...like Brewster he was a beast on the field and a marked man.

lastguyoffthebench

Well out of the 33 players... 30 of them went to the tourney.

F   Vegter - Calvin   #2 in Nation in total goals.
F   Brown - CNU      14 G  9 A
D  Marquez - Redlands

Whether being doubled or not is no justification.  Mike Ryan from Camden who was doubled often, even with an MCL injury... played the entire year, avoiding the surgery...

Anyways, maybe the AA selection is privy to teams that make the NCAA tourney (90% this year), and Vegter and Brown surely get the nod over Hawkey...

MERRY CHRISTMASSSSS!

Midwest Soccer

While making the tournament should not be a mandatory requirement to make the All-American team, I'm happy to see 90% of these teams made up of players who did because I think there is definitely something to be said for a player on a team in the NCAA over a similar player not in the NCAA tournament. If there's a tiebreaker between two players like that and that's applicable it should be used.

I was disappointed to see how many NSCAA All-Americans there were who didn't make the tournament (11). Funny that Dan Figura, a two time d3soccer.com 1st team All-American (rightfully so) and the defender of the year this year didn't even make NSCAA North 1st team All-REGION!

lastguyoffthebench

Would have thought Joe Watt from CSS would have made the list as well...

Ryan Harmanis

I think in this version of All-American voting it's harder to get recognition if you don't play for a top team.  Just looking at the list, it appears there are only three players (out of 33) from non-tournament teams.  I'm unfamiliar with Richie Marquez from Redlands, but the other two (Vegter from Calvin and Brown from CNU) are both established players from well-known programs, and they are clearly standouts (that produce) any time you watch them play.  Perhaps more importantly, both of those teams (Newport and Calvin) play adventurous out-of-conference schedules which increase visibility for their players.  Those two guys actually played at OWU and lit up the field in losing efforts, which was something that drew my attention.  Additionally, Calvin's games against Wheaton, Loras, etc. had to garner Vegter some additional votes that other non-tournament players couldn't possibly get.

Because this voting is not done exclusively by coaches who have coached against opposing players, name recognition (both individual and team) gets a little more weight.  If you're a good player on a mediocre team without much national recognition, it's going to be almost impossible to get on one of these teams.  In that scenario, the only people who will (likely) have seen you play are the coaches/fans/writers/SIDs affiliated with your region/conference, so you're splitting the vote with standouts from the top conference teams and getting nothing from anyone outside of that small portion of voters. 

On the other hand, the NSCAA is done on a mostly regional basis which ensures more equal distribution among regions, conferences, etc.  Each has its limitations.  Particularly in Division III soccer, it's nearly impossible to be able to compare players because we don't get to see everyone play.  I'd venture to guess I watched more DIII soccer than 99.99% of the country this year, and I still couldn't get eyes on everyone even once.  From that perspective, the two All-American versions (and rankings, for that matter) are both attempts to properly hand out awards with a voting base that has limited information.

Christan Shirk

Ryan makes some great observations and points.  I would supplement with some addition comments.

Like most years, the NSCAA placed much more than 11 players on their second and third three teams.  This year they went to 15 players on those teams for a total of 41 All-Americans.  At D3soccer.com we have decided to stick to just 11 players per team for a total of 33 All-Americans.  So, the NSCAA honored 8 more players which means a player on the NSCAA third team who missed out on the D3soccer.com teams may have been similarly rated, but there simply wasn't as many spots available.  And I'm not sure how much regional balance matters to the NSCAA, but by giving themselves the extra spots it would be easier to acheive that balance.

Also like most years, the NSCAA teams honor a disproportionate number of forwards.  Each of their teams has as many or more forwards as midfielders and defenders (1st Team 3-3-4, 2nd Team 4-5-5), 3rd Team 3-5-6), this despite the most common playing formations being some sort of 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 in which there are not more forwards.  At D3soccer.com we try to keep to our distribution between the positions close to that used in reality, meaning the odds of being honored are basically equal for all positions instead of forwards having a better chance and defenders less of a chance.  The D3soccer.com teams usually end up with a 4-4-2, 4-3-3. or 3-4-3 formation/distribution, and in four years have never had more forwards than the other positions.

The above two points needs to be kept in mind when comparing who the NSCAA honored but D3soccer.com did not.  For example, the combination of those two difference resulted in the NSCAA honoring 15 forwards this year while D3soccer.com honored 9 forwards.

It has been mentioned that the D3soccer.com teams seemed to heavily favor players on tournament teams.  And Ryan mentioned the difference in process (the NSCAA developing regional teams first as the basis for the AA teams, while the D3soccer.com teams are done on strictly a national basis) which impacts this considerably, but the other big factor and difference is the timing of the nominations and vote.  Nominations for the NSCAA awards need to be made prior to the the NCAA tournament getting underway, with the vote overlapping with the NCAA Sectionals (opening midweek before and closing midweek after) with the regular season generally being the basis for the award.  For a variety of factors, voting for the D3soccer.com teams has thus far always occurred after the NCAA tournament with nominations, even if starting prior to the Final Four, continuing through the Final Four.  So, inevitably, how teams and players fare in the tournament does inevitably impact/influence the D3soccer.com teams.  However, we have always considered and included non-tournament participants.  I'm not sure if the 2013 D3soccer.com teams contained a higher percentage of tournament participants than the previous three years or not.  It does seem like the results gravitated to the big teams/ranked teams a little more this year than the past couple years.  Not really sure why, but just the way it came out this year.  In 2012 the D3soccer.com teams had players from Lake Forest, Dubuque, Centre, Hiram, Colorado, Union, and Vassar, for example.  In 2011 Manhattanville, Oglethorpe, Thomas More, Medaille, Case Western, Hope, Luther, and Rutgers-Camden were represented. We didn't have much of that type of representation this year. 
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com