2014 NCAA Tournament

Started by gobash83, November 14, 2014, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocean 1

Quote from: Purplegatorade on December 06, 2014, 12:28:46 PM
If last nights matches were any indication the final today will be great.  Lynchburg took a punch to the mouth :19 seconds in from a team many didn't give a prayer to be in the game.  Lynchburg responded well.  It did help their cause their first goal was a bit of a gift.

It will be interesting to see if Williams takes a page from the IWU playbook.  IWU did well of denying Lynchburg their bread for the majority of the game.  I think Williams will present a different set of problems for Lynchburg. I think Williams takes the title with a 2-1 win.

I concur that Williams will present a different set of problems for Lynchburg tonight. Specifically, I think the Williams possession game and overall team speed will be challenges for Lynchburg.

And the real weapon is the Williams defense...tops in the nation. And of course, Williams defenders are quite used to facing an offenses 'fleet of foot'...including 2014 All-Americans Kempainen (Conn), Kronick (JHU), Bengoechea (JHU), Kaiser (Roger Williams) and Krishnamacher (MIT) to say nothing of the fact that they face Kirshe / Thomas day-in and day-out at practice. So they clearly understand how to adjust, protect and kick-start the offense.

Once again, as the old saying goes, 'Defense wins Championships'. I'll take the Ephs in a victory in what should be yet another compelling game.

Purplegatorade

In my analysis I take nothing away from the finish itself.  As others have stated it was a quality finish from a tight angle.

The reason I say it was a gift is she should have never had a chance to take that shot.  One of two things should have happened. Either IWU gk handles the ball cleanly or she shields and let's that ball go out of bounds.

woacfan

Congratulations to National Champions Lynchburg!  A hard fought win in a classic championship game!  Both sides should be proud of their effort!
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

Ocean 1

Congratulations to both Lynchburg and Williams for a wonderful game...as intense as any match-up this season where both sides left it all on the field.

Should be interesting to see how the two teams evolve, grow and perform next season. Lynchburg losing its top two offensive leaders and Williams intact with their offensive firepower but needing to fill some holes defensively.

Maybe this match-up becomes an instant classic (as the NCAA pre-game poll reported) and we see both teams return to the Championship match next season.

That would be a special treat!

2xfaux

It was a very good game.  If both teams return to the final next year I think that would be the first time that has happened.  Obviously teams have repeated as champions but for the magic to work for two teams would be very special.  We shall see.

"Upon further review" Wheaton and Messiah both played in the final in 2007 and 2008 and I was actually there for both games??  Another brain fart for this old fan.