BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIFDad

Can an outsider ask a dumb question?  Why not have a new thread for every season instead of continuing one that's 12yo?

Bishopleftiesdad

Not this thread but the NCAC thread. When my son was considering some of the schools in that conference, I read it from beginning to end. It was interesting to read from one season to the next. Takes less adminstration as well. I like this format.

Purple Heys

Quote from: MIFDad on February 21, 2017, 03:43:33 PM
Can an outsider ask a dumb question?  Why not have a new thread for every season instead of continuing one that's 12yo?

Paaattt!  Someone's rocking the boat!   ;D
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

MIFDad

OK fine, and sorry.

I bet you all type www before every internet address too.

Skips Soldier

Watched Chapman finish off their sweep of Redlands this afternoon and the team looked impressive. All throughout the lineup and especially with their Fab Five, 1-5 in the order. Wiehe, Blodgett (who hit two homers today), Cook, Love and Stream can really hit hit hit like Skip's been preaching.

Matt Mogollon looked phenomenal today on the mound and is looking like a very nice rotation option for the Panthers this season. Then there is Mason Collins who might just be the best relief pitcher in the SCIAC and that's saying something. Put the kid in any situation and he just gets outs. Can't put it better than that.

Redlands did not look good at all this weekend. I know they lost a lot of bats in the lineup and it showed. Felix is the only pitcher that looked like he could slow down the Panther offense and even that didn't work as they scored 5 against him. I wonder if they'll be able to turn it around soon.

I expect the team to run through Pomona this weekend and for the offense to stay red hot.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Skips Soldier on February 22, 2017, 02:49:51 AM
Watched Chapman finish off their sweep of Redlands this afternoon and the team looked impressive. All throughout the lineup and especially with their Fab Five, 1-5 in the order. Wiehe, Blodgett (who hit two homers today), Cook, Love and Stream can really hit hit hit like Skip's been preaching.

Matt Mogollon looked phenomenal today on the mound and is looking like a very nice rotation option for the Panthers this season. Then there is Mason Collins who might just be the best relief pitcher in the SCIAC and that's saying something. Put the kid in any situation and he just gets outs. Can't put it better than that.

Redlands did not look good at all this weekend. I know they lost a lot of bats in the lineup and it showed. Felix is the only pitcher that looked like he could slow down the Panther offense and even that didn't work as they scored 5 against him. I wonder if they'll be able to turn it around soon.

I expect the team to run through Pomona this weekend and for the offense to stay red hot.

That's it. I'm convinced.  Chapman's going undefeated the rest of the season.

Jim Dixon

Imagine if Zickafosse did not transfer to UC Irvine.  We had Larkin on our summer team and he did well so it is not like there is a break at the end of the order either.

SoCalBaseballfan

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 22, 2017, 01:40:22 PM

That's it. I'm convinced.  Chapman's going undefeated the rest of the season.
Too early to hand over and give Chapman the SCIAC bid to the regionals.  ;D ;D ;D Hot bats with scoring 7+ runs per game but pitching is giving up 7 runs per game with a .423 OBP for their opponents per game average. http://www.chapmanathletics.com/sports/bsb/2016-17/teams/chapman?view=profile&r=0&pos=

Jack Parkman

Another edition of my usually terrible SCIAC picks.

Claremont plays Bates and Puget Sound this weekend and from what I saw last weak, CMS will go 0-4 or 1-3.  It's going to be a long year for them.

La Verne sweeps Caltech but there will be some competitive games. 

Cal Lu "should" sweep Oxy and I say that simply because I think Cal Lu has more talent.  Oxy is only hitting .219 as a team but they are scrappy.  I could also see a 2-1 series either way.

Redlands and Whittier is an interesting series due to last weeks results.  The Poets gave a game (and probably 2) away to Oxy and Redlands got swept by Chapman.  I see Redlands taking Friday but if Whittier plays a little D, they could snap a win or 2 on Saturday.

Chapman and Pomona are going to play a very high scoring series.  Nishioka is off to a great start but the P-P pitching has been less than stellar.  Chapman has been hitting the ball well but their pitching is not that sharp.  No idea who wins this series but whoever it is will have to outslug the other.

SoCalBaseballfan

Chapman has started our strong with a 9-2 record overall and 6-0 in conference.

Could this be the year that Chapman returns to the NCAA Regionals. It's been a long time. Too early to tell. Big bats but will pitching be good enough ???

Purple Heys

The good thing is, I now have lots of leg room on the Poet bandwagon... ;D

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 24, 2017, 01:50:46 PM
Another edition of my usually terrible SCIAC picks.

Claremont plays Bates and Puget Sound this weekend and from what I saw last weak, CMS will go 0-4 or 1-3.  It's going to be a long year for them.

La Verne sweeps Caltech but there will be some competitive games. 

Cal Lu "should" sweep Oxy and I say that simply because I think Cal Lu has more talent.  Oxy is only hitting .219 as a team but they are scrappy.  I could also see a 2-1 series either way.

Redlands and Whittier is an interesting series due to last weeks results.  The Poets gave a game (and probably 2) away to Oxy and Redlands got swept by Chapman.  I see Redlands taking Friday but if Whittier plays a little D, they could snap a win or 2 on Saturday.

Chapman and Pomona are going to play a very high scoring series.  Nishioka is off to a great start but the P-P pitching has been less than stellar.  Chapman has been hitting the ball well but their pitching is not that sharp.  No idea who wins this series but whoever it is will have to outslug the other.

Claremont takes 1 from Bates and splits with Puget Sound.  Not sold one bit on this team...

La Verne sweeps Caltech with 2 blowouts but game 3 was a 2-1 game headed into the 7th.  La Verne should to go 8-1 after this weekends series with CMS.

Cal Lu take 2/3 from Oxy and could have swept if they didn't dribble down their legs after scoring 4 in the top of the 1st in Friday's game.  They cut the lead to 2 in game 1 but the sun went down and it went back to a 12-6 game.  Cal Lu gave up 0 earned runs in the double-header sweep but gave up 13 unearned runs over the weekend.  Yuck.

Redlands swept Whittier with what looked like pretty solid pitching all weekend for the Bulldogs.  Whittier only scored 6 runs in the 3 games which didn't help.

Chapman continued their impressive start with 2 butt-whoopings against Pomona but game 3 was a tight one with a few lead changes.  Pomona has lost 8 in a row after a pretty good start and this is just like last year.  Their pitching is really letting them down.  Chapman got beat last night in a non-conference game against Redlands but they should get back on track this weekend with Concordia (Wisc) coming to CA.

It's too early to say who stands out but if I had to make a guess I would say the top 4 would be Chapman, Cal Lu, Redlands and La Verne/Oxy.  I think the 4th spot will be a very competitive race.

Jack Parkman

Weekend Prediction time...

Oxy/Caltech- Oxy wins a couple of close games but I am still holding out hope for a Beavers win!

Redlands has Kean tonight and thats it.  It's nice to have all of your pitching available for one game but we will see which offensive team shows up.

La Verne/CMS- La Verne should sweep this one but there will be some pretty tight games. Other than taking 2 from Cal Lu, La Verne really hasn't done a whole lot.

Pomona/Whittier- I think the Poets take 2/3 if they can play defense.  Pomona isn't nearly as good as I thought and they are in a major slump.  Whittier played Redlands very tight and should have won the series against Oxy.

Chapman host's Concordia from Wisconsin.  The Panthers will take all 3 of these.

Cal Lu has Kean for a single game on Saturday.  Kean/Cal Lu games have always been very close and I expent the same tomorrow.

SoCalSoxFan

JP,

Yes, the CLU vs Kean should be a close game.  And a good out-of-region challenge for the Kingsman.
Kean is upto #14, rising from last weeks #19.  YTD they are 6-1 (not sure level of competition).

CLU's pitchers are doing well, 21 Earned runs in 9 games, ERA 2.52. 
Already given up 17 Unearned runs on 15 errors!

Purple Heys

Whittier takes Game 1 at Whittier, 3-2.  Don't crowd me getting back on the bandwagon.   ;)

Poets' Ushio out-duels Gerics for 7 innings.  Pomona tied the game in the 9th, but Whittier plates the game winner with one out in the bottom of the frame.

Poets needed this one.

Looks like a tight series on tap.