MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 18, 2018, 06:11:35 PM
Buffalo State falls to Brooklyn College 86-83

The Bengals fought back from 10 points down with 4:34 to go, to close to within a single point at 84-83, with 38 seconds to play. They needed a stop but didn't get it. They had a shot to tie the game at the end but it didn't go down. Another tough loss.

"Tough loss" indeed.  To be honest when that last 3 pt attempt left Dom Grayers hand I just knew it was gonna be good and my BENGALS would be going into overtime !  Alas it wasn't and so it ends!

There were some encouraging things but a loss is...... a loss. 48 hours to get ready for St John Fisher.

Yac is 15-8 in non conference vs d3 teams. Empire 8 is 11-9 in non conference and Liberty league is 12-12.   Here's to hoping my BENGALS can get out of thier funk and get a W against a good 2 - 0 Fisher squad!  Give coach Ansari credit. Starting the season vs 3 teams with a combined 5-1 record puts it right up front and let's your team know what they need to work on to get better.  In hindsight had the BENGALS hit those last min shots the past 2 days and won, they probably would have a false sense of security.   I'm hoping that the basketball Gods know what they are doing

Go BENGALS!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Brooklyn beat St. Thomas the other night, so they might actually be better than expected.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 19, 2018, 09:12:20 AM

Brooklyn beat St. Thomas the other night, so they might actually be better than expected.

Thanks Ryan. That' good to know!

All-Time

Magicman  Wishing you a Happy Birthday.

Wishing you a year filled with Health and Happiness and of course a National Championship.

The Cardinals are off to a Great Start. Looks like a nice they will be playing long into March.

Enjoy the RIDE

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 19, 2018, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 19, 2018, 09:12:20 AM

Thanks Ryan. That' good to know!

Apparently you or Ryan didn't read this which I posted 5 hours before the game tipped off. ;D

Quote from: magicman on November 18, 2018, 09:19:28 AM
November 18th           Just a single game on the schedule for today

Brooklyn College  @  Buffalo State        2:00 PM

It's the Bengals vs the Bulldogs in the consolation game of the Buff State Coles Classic Tournament. The Bengals gave a good account of themselves yesterday, in their season opener, as the loss to #20 John Carroll could have gone either way. Buff State fought back every time the Blue Streaks made a run and in the end it came down to the final few possessions. If the Bengals can come close to that effort today, they should be able to even their record.

Brooklyn College is 2-1 and lost by 9 points yesterday to Johnson and Wales, a team that John Carroll beat on Friday by 9 points. The Bulldogs played the  St Thomas Tommies last Thursday and were 25 point underdogs. They won that game, upsetting the former National Champions 78-77 (the Tommies were National Champs in 2015-16 and 2010-11). 

The oddsmakers have made the Bengals a 9 point favorite. I'm not sure Dom Grayer can go off for 39 points again so I'm taking the Bengals but I think it will be a little closer. Buffalo State wins this one 85-80.   

magicman

Thanks for the birthday wishes from Bengalsrule, The Law Firm, AllStar, and All-Time.

magicman

Nov. 19    Just a single team in action tonight and it doesn't count in their record. 

Oneonta State at Division I Albany State Great Danes   7:00 PM

The Red Dragons have done this before and have managed to hang with the D1 boys for a while. Not sure how good Albany is this year but the oddsmakers have made them a 36 point favorite. Losing to a D1 team by only 36 points could be considered a pretty good effort.
I hope Oneonta can keep the Great Danes under a hundred and manage to put 70 or more of their own points on the board. Or they could just pull a Chaminade! ;D I wouldn't mind.   Albany wins this one 94-64.

This is an exhibition game for Oneonta but counts for Albany.

Go Red Dragons!!!   

magicman

Oneonta 62  D I Albany 79

Oneonta hung with the Great Danes as they only trailed 32-27 at the half. Only losing by 17 points is a win in my book.

Good job Red Dragons!

Bengalsrule

Congrats to Brandon Johnson ( Plattsburgh) on becoming the 2nd SUNYAC  player of the week this season. I would have given 2 to 1 odds that Dom Grayers 28.5 pts per game average in his first 2 games would  have sealed the deal, but alas there are greater basketball minds than mine that thought different.  Congrats to Mr. Johnson.

Hopefully Dom's SUNYAC leading 28.5 will get some D3 hoops team of the week recognition!

Go BENGALS!

Greek Tragedy

Well, Grayer did score 39 against John Carroll and only 18 against Brooklyn. JCU isn't a "system" team, but...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

The Law Firm

But what Greek Tragedy? BengalsRule - I also thought Grayer posted the stats to give him the nod, but I feel that he will get it down the road if he continues to shoot the ball so well. Bengals fought this weekend, played some tough opponents and I see a lot of new names on this roster, good to see they are meshing well. This may come off as biased, but with those Bengals being the team I support, I feel that some folks here are looking past them (eh hem, Magic one) and writing their post season off before conference play begins. BIG MISTAKE. Plattsburgh holding it down for the YAC, keeping their record unbeaten and ranking. Did notice a familiar name on a new roster this year, Quin Carey transferred from Geneseo to Oswego could prove to be HUGE for the Lakers and Jason Corleone, I mean Leone ;-) Just having some fun guys be good and happy thanksgiving to all

LF

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 20, 2018, 10:31:02 AM
Well, Grayer did score 39 against John Carroll and only 18 against Brooklyn. JCU isn't a "system" team, but...

39 plus 18 equals 57 pts in 2 games. A feat unmatched so far for anyone in SUNYAC's first 2 games! Not bad for 2 games no matter how you slice it up, nor who you scored them against!  Greek tragedy, here's to hoping you will be sticking around the SUNYAC boards this season!

Greek Tragedy

Obviously the boys on D3hoops agreed with the YAC guys.

https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/tow/2018-19/week1

I'll probably stick around...I do have Plattsburgh St. in the Final Four and Patron in my fantasy league.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 20, 2018, 12:18:41 PM

39 plus 18 equals 57 pts in 2 games. A feat unmatched so far for anyone in SUNYAC's first 2 games! Not bad for 2 games no matter how you slice it up, nor who you scored them against!  Greek tragedy, here's to hoping you will be sticking around the SUNYAC boards this season!

Have to believe Dom Grayer was under consideration along with Brandon Johnson for the Player of the Week.

Greek Tragedy was referring to the fact that John Carroll plays a fast game and shoots quickly and while they aren't quite a "Grinnell system" type of team they are close. If you are going to score a lot of points in a game, they would be a team where you'd have a chance to do so. Still you have to make the shots and Dom certainly did against John Carroll, to put up 39.

I think the deciding factor in Brandon receiving the award instead of Dom was the fact that Plattsburgh was 3-0 for the week and the Bengals were 0-2. That has to carry some weight.   

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 20, 2018, 12:59:27 PM
Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 20, 2018, 12:18:41 PM

Have to believe Dom Grayer was under consideration along with Brandon Johnson for the Player of the Week.

Greek Tragedy was referring to the fact that John Carroll plays a fast game and shoots quickly and while they aren't quite a "Grinnell system" type of team they are close. If you are going to score a lot of points in a game, they would be a team where you'd have a chance to do so. Still you have to make the shots and Dom certainly did against John Carroll, to put up 39.

I think the deciding factor in Brandon receiving the award instead of Dom was the fact that Plattsburgh was 3-0 for the week and the Bengals were 0-2. That has to carry some weight.

Understood. Same thing Coach Glover said. Like I said earlier... 39 points is 39 points. Top scorer for Johnson Wales vs the same John Carroll "system" Saturday was 24 points (15 less than Grayer).  I'm sure that we can all agree that 39 points against ANY D 3 team is no small feat. Especially when the leading scorer for the winning team has 21 points and the team itself (JC)  is top 20 in the nation. I can't allow myself to minimize what Dom did just because of the (system ) he did it against. Ill be watching to see how many other folks get 39 against JC's "system"

That game is over...Johnson is POW. Congrats  again!!!  St John Fisher is next up on the BENGALS agenda.

Go BENGALS